Light for AR

This is a discussion on Light for AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just attended a basic defensive rifle class. We did some night work. There was a wide range of lights ranging from cheap Wal-mart types ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Light for AR

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Light for AR

I just attended a basic defensive rifle class. We did some night work. There was a wide range of lights ranging from cheap Wal-mart types attached with duct tape to Surefire lights with massive ring mounts. The instructor gave options but inferred that you could probably get by with a $50 or so light with a cheap ring mount.

I was just wondering what others use to mount a light on an AR.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Generally you get what you pay for. While everyone does not need a Surefire Scout light you don't want to go on the extreme lower end either. The concept of WML started with a mini mag light in a .22 scope ring attached to a forearm with a small section of rail and grew from there.

In today's market there are several good options. For a basic light setup spend $60 on a basic Surefire model, get a standard rail attachment and put it on your rifle. A lot depends on how far you want to go. Some like pressure switches, push buttons, pistol grip mounted and so on. With rail systems being all the rage you have a ton of mounting options. You do not have to get quick detach, throw lever systems unless you want them.

If you have a standard AR forearm then it is a simple matter of drilling two holes in the forearm and attaching a small section of rail to mount the light on which is much lighter than a full rail. Many times folks get a full rail system and simply mount a light, that's it, so you have 3 feet of rail space left over plus the added weight.
    There are several good products that use the existing vent holes in the forearm to mount sections of rail to. Many use these type rail sections and mount a standard pistol light to them which work fine. J&G sales has/had Streamlight M-3 pistol lights, police trade in's, for $40 or something like that I bought a couple of them just to have.

I run a Surefire VFG with a large lumen output lamp or a Surefire Scout light. They do get pricey but you can find a good deal on them if you look hard enough. You can also find factory refurbished units at good prices.

I switch between this and the scout light just depending on what I am doing with the rifle.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    1 inch scope ring ($12 for 2). Been waiting a long time to buy a surefire g2 but dont have the funds.
    tacman605 likes this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I use a Surefire G2 in a VTAC light mount.

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Check out Primary Arms. I have their light mount combo on my AR, good price.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

For the money, a Surefire G2 in any decent mount works fine for most.
    A Streamlight TLR-1 or Surefire X-300 pistol lights work great also.
    There are a thousand others out there to choose from. These are just my suggestions for a tighter budget, while maintaning reliability.
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

Plus one

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    I use a Surefire G2 in a VTAC light mount.

I use the same system. The VTAC mount is small and the light weighs about 4 ounces, if I recall correctly.

RKM
    I use a Streamlight Polytac in a VTAC mount. It's a fairly good quality set-up that isn't atrociously priced.

I run a surefire miniscout light on a HSP thorntail mount. Miniscout is hooked up to a surefire pressure switch that attaches to the rail.

not my gun since I have a sig556 but this is the same setup i run

tmoore912 likes this.

With a Magpul MOE forearm I've used the IWC Slot-n-mount with a Surefire light

With a railed forearm, I like the Surefire X300 Ultra at 12:00. It is the easiest to manipulate when shooting right or left handed.

GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

I sport a Streamlight TLR1s.

tmoore912 likes this.

I use a SureFire X300 at 3:00

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

i use a streamlight TRL-1s HP it cost about 125 or so and it is hella bright, has a strobe function and the pressure switch, it is rail mountable... here is one on AR

XD Subcompact 9MM
    more to come..

The next light I will be getting is an Inforce WML-HSP for $110.

Haley Strategic Partners, LLC.

For a weapon mounted light, I want to be able to quickly light an area up and turn it right back off. The WML-HSP is momentary only, so its only on when you press the button.
    tmoore912 likes this.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

I have a Surefire M600C Scout Light with high output KL4 LED head and a pressure switch mounted to the front side rail on my AR, was about $200 from ebay new, but in very distressed packaging. One thing to remember is every year LED lights keep getting smaller, lighter and brighter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links