AR-mag’s / Quality-Check

AR-mag’s / Quality-Check

This is a discussion on AR-mag’s / Quality-Check within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; With the feeding-frenzy going on right now, there are so many different manufacturers of AR-mag’s out on the shelves right now to choose from: “If ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: AR-mag’s / Quality-Check

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar

AR-mag’s / Quality-Check

With the feeding-frenzy going on right now, there are so many different manufacturers of AR-mag’s out on the shelves right now to choose from: “If you can find any.” Some of the manufactures have been around for awhile and have been reviewed, and some are new to the market and their names we do not recognize….yet.

Their prices are ranging from $20.-ech unto as much as $85.-ech.

Until someone buys one, and puts it through its paces; you don’t know how reliable it can be. There are the well known’s like the P-Mag’s that everyone’s loathing for, and if found they are fetching as much as $85.-ech, and some others that are only $19.95-ech but we all know to be sidestepped.

So anyone having any experience with the following please let us all know what you think about them. The following is just a list of manufactures that I have been mostly hearing about. If there are any others or if I got their names wrong, please update the list.

It’s better to pay a bit more for something that WILL DELIVER, then less for APOCrap.

Thumbs Up / Thumbs Down

A) Pro-Mags

B) Microtech

C) Tapco

D) Orlite

E) E-Lander

F) Korean Steel

G) SOME OTHER BRAND

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Magpul Pmags ... if you can find them.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Tango Down magazines I have several 20 round mags and used several in competition with good results (no failures). I am waiting on their 30's in Mid Feb.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Never owned one but from what I heard pro mags are absolutely terrible, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Magpul makes terrible mags and you should send them to me for disposal ASAP!!!
    NO, the MAGPUL mags are great, well built and reliable IF you can get your hands on them right now!
    I have a few tapco mags for my AR and have loved them (price and reliability)
    I have not had experience with any others!

Distinguished Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    The promags jam in most of my AR s with premium parts/pieces. I got rid of them and just stick with the Magpul units

I would pass on A-F, and G would depend on the brand in question.

Ones you want that are good are (for instance):

Magpul
    D&H
    NHMTG
    Colt
    Brownell's

Some people like CProducts but I don't have any personal experience with them. They are steel bodied, so "more durable" but heavier.

Austin

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I just received my E-Landers, too early to tell. However, there was a thread over at AR15.com where a guy had put some through a torture test and they held up very well, better than USGI mags.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I have tried of course the P-Mags, Lancer AWM, and recently bought some black mags from BCM that have the Magpul followers. All have worked well in my Colt 6920. All my mags were purchased before this whole buying frenzy so I didn't get caught up in the price gouging.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

The only mags I would use are Magpul PMags Gen 2 or the new Gen 3, NHMTG, Colt, Brownells, and Lancer Advanced Warfighter but not in the clear. OKay Industries should be good to and I've heard people liking D&H mags. There's whole threads on M4Carbine.net I'd also go there if you have any questions about the AR/M4 platform. I wouldn't use any of the mags on your list even if they were given to me. I'd sell those in a heartbeat.

added text: If you get the metal mags (except for 20 rounders) get the Magpul followers.
    Last edited by remington79; January 29th, 2013 at 04:04 PM. Reason: added text

I have some from Thermold(polymer) i have ran about 200 rounds through them with no problem, however several people have told me that they are not good. When i asked if they had used them and what were there exact problems i got no return answer. SO go figure....

Administrator
    Brownell's has their own mags now and the quality is reportedly great but, I am sure they are probably out of stock by now...but, it wouldn't hurt to check.

Decide for yourself...
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I have 3 Magpul Pmags. Best you can buy. I got them at $12 each. Not sure if we'll ever see those prices again...

I also have 10 D&H mags with anti-tilt followers I picked up for $9 each a while ago. They seem fine.

I've heard good things about Brownell's mags. Right now those are the only AR mags they will let you backorder. And as with all their stuff they HAVE NOT raised the prices. As for Thermolds go I haven't used them but I have heard that some of them (depends on what ones/generation) can melt a little at the feed lips if the rifle is hot. One of my friends hasn't had any issue with his Thermolds.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Anyone that will work long enough to throw in your dumpbag and refresh with a topped off mag is good in my book.

Sure magpul mags are fancy hi-tech polymer sci-fi coolness in the materials and design world but I still wouldn't trade them for a good old proven GI mag that is made of cheapo pot metal and they just plain work.

I own two AR15/M4 variants, a Colt and a Bushmaster and those Magpul mags are nice but out of the 20 or so that I own a few of them get a little stiff taking them in and out of the mag well. Those non fancy vanilla chinsy feeling GI mags slide in and out like they were made too haha
    atctimmy likes this.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links