12 Gauge - Is 3-inch #2 shot a good defensive choice?

This is a discussion on 12 Gauge - Is 3-inch #2 shot a good defensive choice? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As Tally says, this gets beat to death. #1 buck is more effective than #00 or others. #1 buck is going to be more effective ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: 12 Gauge - Is 3-inch #2 shot a good defensive choice?

As Tally says, this gets beat to death.

#1 buck is more effective than #00 or others.

#1 buck is going to be more effective than a slug if you can keep the shot on target and are not shooting through a barricade.

Federal Flight Control buck has a wad system that keeps incredibly tight groups for very long distances.

Most slugs are soft and don't perform through barricades as well as you'd think. If you want penetration, look specifically for a hardened slug.

Me, my 870 is loaded with Federal Flight Control buck #1 (LE1321B) with a few Dixie Slugs IXL DGS hardened slugs in the side-saddle in case I need more penetration. There are other choices for hardened slugs as well.

I suggest folks read the various things Dr. Roberts has written on ammunition performance. He is an expert in this field and has been very good at explaining the real world performance issues as well as sharing the testing results of various ammunition. I included a link to his summary on shotgun ammunition in an above post. I would suggest you seek out his other writings as well. He posts a fair amount in the Terminal Ballistics Information sub-forum on m4carbine.net (username DocGKR). Don't neglect the stickies in that sub-forum. There is a lot of good info there.

Good luck,

-john
    Last edited by bzdog; January 31st, 2013 at 01:21 PM.

2. Remove Ads

I Have 5 rounds of winchester 00 buck reduced recoil in my Semi Auto Mossberg 930 with an 18.5" bbl by the headboard of my bed,at 10 feet there is no doubt those 9 pellets COM will not only blast thru ribs,but hit the vitals beyond,and the SA action is quick for followup shots so it's very likely they may catch 2 loads before going down.If I need slugs I carry the Brenneke slugs,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I only want punishment on one end of the 12 ga shotgun...2 3/4 00 buck for me.
    pgrass101 and gasmitty like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I Have 5 rounds of winchester 00 buck reduced recoil in my Semi Auto Mossberg 930 with an 18.5" bbl by the headboard of my bed,at 10 feet there is no doubt those 9 pellets COM will not only blast thru ribs,but hit the vitals beyond,and the SA action is quick for followup shots so it's very likely they may catch 2 loads before going down.If I need slugs I carry the Brenneke slugs,
    Do have any issues with low recoil buckshot cycling in your semi-auto shotgun? I have a FNH SLP and keep it loaded with Hornady critical defense 8 pellet 00 buckshot. I also some Brenneke KO slugs as well just in case.

I tried Federal LE 132 9 pellet 00 and the Federal low recoil non-flitecontrol rounds and they do work in my semi-auto shotgun. I use full power Federal XM127 9 pellet 00 buckshot at the gun range.

I have also tried Federal LE132 15 pellet #1 buckshot and Federal LE133 8 pellet 00 buckshot. The only round that didn't cycle was LE133. I got a stove pipe each time I pulled the trigger. I also have a pump shotgun so I'm loading my pump with LE133 only.
    Last edited by Tony617; January 31st, 2013 at 04:30 PM.

i remember struggling with this decision a long time ago. Lots more info out there today.
    use a 2 3/4" non magnum shell. Use lead shot or hevishot. NO STEEL. Shotguns are about energy and steel kills energy(not literally, i know the law of conservation of energy...but steel is bad).

I have two friends with practical experience with this question. One works in the morgue. The other is a sheriff. Both have seen people shot with bird shot. Both have seen mixed outcomes. Some gruesome deaths some gruesome survivors.

Birdshot really has issues with penetration especially with respect to multiple layers of clothes, jacket, sweater, etc.

Buckshot, they both agree, really only depends on one thing. Did you hit them in a location that will end the encounter. If you did, with heavy buckshot, you end the encounter. Now, its first hand experience, but its still anecdotal. But since it pretty well aligns with the science/studies that i've seen, i am confidant with their opinion.

#1 is the best over all buckshot. More area of penetration than any other load with the correct power for penetration. This is just physics and math. It's the best over all shot. Period. Others may choose something different for a good reason and maybe their choice is correct. But 90% of the time #1 is best. The 10% of the time it isnt best; it is still more than adequate.

Here is the kicker to the whole thing. Deciding to shoot a shotgun is no different than any other gun. You ALWAYS make sure that nobody is behind the target/BG. Shooting a shotgun inside your house (for people in a normal size house) will most likely have a pattern of 6" or less. You have to aim and hit what you are aiming at. You dont want to risk a "mixed" outocome. You want to kill the BG.

Dont shoot the "low recoil" junk either.

also, notice that you will get somewhere around 576,000 different responses that will swear their way is the best way.

good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links