Need shotgun advice

This is a discussion on Need shotgun advice within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I currently do not own a shotgun. I'd like to get a shotgun that can sort of play a dual role and I'm not sure ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need shotgun advice

Need shotgun advice

I currently do not own a shotgun. I'd like to get a shotgun that can sort of play a dual role and I'm not sure if it's possible or not. I would like a 12ga for dove/skeet and also as a home defense tool. Is a short barrel a must have for home defense?

To be painfully honest I don't have much experience with shotty's. I always borrow a Remington 1100 to shoot birds with so I am competent with loading and operating a semi. I've never used a pump in my life but I think I'm astute enough to learn and I'm not to proud to ask friends.

So what fits the bill? Anything? Also, keep it under $1000; the closer to $500 the better!

Thanks gang,
    Tad A.

2. Remove Ads

If you will go pump you could pick up a gun with spare barrel one for hunting and a shorter one for HD

I myself keep a separate one for HD than hunting

well bud beat me to it. look for a two barrel set. If you have a mag extension for HD purposes make sure that your plug is long enough to keep you legal when hunting

Administrator
    Remington 870 is about the best you can do to fill this role. xtra barrels are inexpensive, and plenty of aftermarket parts available. If you want a auto loader, remington 1187 is a good choice.

A quick check on the Remington site shows an 1187 12ga with a 23" barrel. That should be a good compromise for both hunting, skeet and home defense. The 11-87 is another semi-auto much like the 1100 you're used to.

Personally I bought a second barrel for my Winchester 1200 pump, chopped it to 18.5" for home defense and kept the longer barrel for hunting and the games.

Allan

Thanks for the advice, keep it coming!

How complicated is a barrel swap? If it's just acouple of set screws that's not a big deal and sounds like the ticket.I currently go birding 10 or less times a year and it's of course confined to short seasons so that would not be a alot of swapping.

birdman, I saw that too and was curious if a 23" barrel might be a little too short for birding. Good to hear it's do-able too.

Quote Originally Posted by tabraha View Post
    Thanks for the advice, keep it coming!

How complicated is a barrel swap? If it's just acouple of set screws that's not a big deal and sounds like the ticket.I currently go birding 10 or less times a year and it's of course confined to short seasons so that would not be a alot of swapping.

birdman, I saw that too and was curious if a 23" barrel might be a little too short for birding. Good to hear it's do-able too.
    Retract the bolt halfway, and unscrew the cap on the end of the magazine tube. Pull the barrel off. Slide new barrel in place (I usually tap the butt on the floor "just because"), and replace the mag cap. Cycle tha action to make sure things are in place.

870, with two barrels should be do-able, NIB, for about $360, bare-bones.

Piece 'o cake then. I believe I'll start the search for an 870 locally then and begin to put the pieces of the puzzle together!

hi tabraha,, i have a friend at work that just got an 1100 from a pawn shop for $300 out the door,,i don't think it had a box of shells through it.... looks new,, 28" rem-choke barrel,,,,, we went to e-bay and got a plain barrel for $65,,, he gave it to me,, i cut it to 20" recrowned it and put sights on $50,,, he got a choate mag extention from sportsmans guide $35,,,, so for $450 he has a do it all gun with a soft touch,,, looks good,, works good.... just my .02 YMMV
    ocharry

I personally like my Mossberg, I hunt with it, and no matter how dirty it gets, it always goes bang. I dont' think an Auto shotgun is as ever as reliable as a pump, regardless of Maker. I was just talking to someone who carries TWO auto shotguns, a Binelli Super Black Eagle 2, and a Beretta, because one invariably jams up. I think hunting is a good test, and any auto I've hunted with, has always had more problems than a pump gun.

I would say, yes, Mossberg 500 (they make a Defender, with a 18 1/2" barrel, and a 9? shot tube, used to be on their website) and the Remington 870 would both be your best choices. Cabelas or the like has barrels available inexpensively, Mossberg will have a price advantage. Plus, the looser, less precise (and inherently, more reliable IMO) Mossberg sound positively evil when you are chambering it. Try it in a quiet room (empty of course) and see what it sounds like.

I'm sure if they did a study on sounds that would stop an attacker, that would have to rank right up there with Mother in law, attack pet Grizzly bear, and Darth Vaders voice at 20 paces. I think any of those would seriously make me double think any actions I would make if ever turned evil. :)

PS--pumps are extremely simple to operate, slam it back, slam it forward, pull the trigger. Do it again, and again if needbe, until it goes click.

PSS- more good things about the Mossberg--Larger ejection port than the Remington, makes dropping a round in when the tube is empty easier, and you can add, or remove shells, from the magazine, at anytime, and stuck empties are much easier to remove with the larger port, and a bigger shell opening on the bottom. The ramp that brings the shell from the tube to the chamber on the Mossberg is a split, open bottom design, and you can stick your finger through it. The Rem has a stamped steel ramp, and I would think that if it ever did jam, it would be much more difficult to remove an empty than the Mossberg. Crexrun
    Walther P22, Velocitors, on my side. Ruger P95, Speer Gold Dot 124 +Ps, bedside. Mossberg 500, full of steel shot behind the door. And a Princeton Tec Genesis 3 watt led and a Gerber Ridge knife! Don't steal MY Coors Light!

Thanks for the input!

get a remington 870 with an 18 inch barrel. then buy a spare barrel for hunting. hard to beat the 870.

I would recomend Mossberg over 870 as well. I've seen a few 870s have problems. I have owned 5 different Mossbergs and have frineds with them and my dad has shot the same one for 30 years without fail.

We had this discussion on another thread. I guess the newer 870s aren't of as good a quality as the old wingmasters. I had an 870 express and didn't like it. My cousin has one and has problems with it regularly.

Just my opinion based on personal experience. Your mileage may vary.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

UPDATE:
    Well I ended up with the 870. Funny thing was I asked to look at the 870's and Mossy 500's and I was shown the standard guns and then I noticed a pump at the back that had a special stock on it. I asked the guy, "Is that a Knoxx SpecOps stock on that pump in the back?" Sure enough he had one 870 Tactical left; already has the SpecOps stock, 18" barrell, 7 shot capacity too so I was tickled. Also tickled to get it for under my $500 ideal budget too! It's in OD Green and it looks pretty mean....

Thanks to everyone for their advice. Now I've got to go read the threads to see what loads folks are running for HD. THANKS AGAIN GANG!!

Thats a very nice gun, but it only holds 7 in the tube? Hmm, My dads Mossberg 835 (3 1/2" 12 ga.) will hold 7 2 3/4" in the tube, If memory serves, mine holds 5 in the tube. I suppose with the 18" barrel they can't, but I was still thinking the Mossberg defender model (name may be wrong) held 9 with a 18" barrel. Good find! Crexrun
    Walther P22, Velocitors, on my side. Ruger P95, Speer Gold Dot 124 +Ps, bedside. Mossberg 500, full of steel shot behind the door. And a Princeton Tec Genesis 3 watt led and a Gerber Ridge knife! Don't steal MY Coors Light!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links