Shotgun Night Bead Sights

This is a discussion on Shotgun Night Bead Sights within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sometime in the not too distant past I purchased some tritium beads for my HD style shotguns. They were reasonably priced, so they just got ...

Thread: Shotgun Night Bead Sights

Sometime in the not too distant past I purchased some tritium beads for my HD style shotguns. They were reasonably priced, so they just got added to orders from Brownells. Tonight I decided to get around to seeing what I need to do in order to install them.

First, the good:

The sight for the Mossberg 500 is actually really easy to install. Using a 4mm socket, the old brass bead came right off without any damage. And the Meprolight bead just screws right in. The threads are longer than the old bead sight, so if you tighten it all the way down it extends into the barrel (not by much), but more importantly is not in line with the bore. So, I added some blue loctite, and backed it out enough that it is lined up, which also means it is flush inside the barrel. There is a slight gap under the sight, but it isn't enough that I am going to worry about it, especially after the loctite sets.

Next the bad:

The sight on my Remington 870 Express is apparently pressed in, and not threaded. I learned this before I mucked up the current bead sight trying to take it out. The meprolight replacement is threaded, so I have the feeling that I am going to have to take the barrel to a gunsmith or machine shop, who can hopefully pull the old bead out, and then drill and tap the hole to accept the new sight. I have head some gunsmiths don't like installing these sights, because if you really torque on them the vials of tritium can break.

Conclusion:

I think that these are a good addition to a HD shotgun, and if you get the version with a white ring around the tritium it should function well during the day too. However, I am much more pleased with the ease of installation for the Mossberg 500 than the Remington 870. I generally don't have a dog in the "which is a better shotgun fight" because I like both of them. But, right now, I like the Mossberg a little bit more.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

If you mount a light on your long gun, then you probably don't need a front night sight. Mine has a white dot on the front sight, and when the light is on, that dot glows like a roman candle!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    If you mount a light on your long gun, then you probably don't need a front night sight. Mine has a white dot on the front sight, and when the light is on, that dot glows like a roman candle!
    I have lights on most of my long guns that can get used for HD. But with pump action shotguns it seems the most practical way to mount one is on the slide, and most of those are a bit pricey. I do mean to try out a Magpul forend at some point, since it should be easy to mount a light on it, which should be the most economical way to do so.

But, I don't necessarily always want my light on in a HD situation, so I think it is good to have the night sight option available. For $25 bucks or so, it is a worthwhile addition IMHO.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Does anyone have any advice on the fiber optic clip-on sights? Amazon has one for $15 that clips on the barrel and aligns on the bead. Legit option?

I did put a #4 bead on the front of my coach gun, but in all reality, I'm not that concerned with needing a 'site' on the front of my 12 ga throwing 00 buck...I'm going to hit my target.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have one of those fiber optic clip on sights on my 870 works ok, I also have a Surefire 618 light on it with an upgraded Cree LED bulb, there is just enough ambient light provided by the light to see the clip on fiber optic in a dark room. Note I had to use thin double sided mounting tape to keep the clip on in position.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    I have lights on most of my long guns that can get used for HD. But with pump action shotguns it seems the most practical way to mount one is on the slide, and most of those are a bit pricey. I do mean to try out a Magpul forend at some point, since it should be easy to mount a light on it, which should be the most economical way to do so.

But, I don't necessarily always want my light on in a HD situation, so I think it is good to have the night sight option available. For $25 bucks or so, it is a worthwhile addition IMHO.
    Depending on your shotgun model I bought a LaserLyte tri-rail and a Streamlight TLR-2. I have Mossberg Maverick 88 with. a TacStar side saddle, a Houge overmolded buttstock, and a clip on Truglo fiber optic sight. I do not use the laser on TLR-2.

I use the momentary on switch on the TLR-2 light so if I have use the shotgun for HD I will identify the BG first then fire. If no BG off and move in a non-predictable direction. Don't make your self a target by keeping the light on all of the time.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359772994.890847.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    Does anyone have any advice on the fiber optic clip-on sights? Amazon has one for $15 that clips on the barrel and aligns on the bead. Legit option?
    - I can't stand the magnetic or clip on sights. I don't find them to be durable. I personally like the HiViz sights where you can screw in the sight base and install the light pipe after.

Competition Shotgun Sights
    pm1002_compsight.jpg

Mini-Comp
    pm2011-g.jpg
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Subs

I have a magnetic fiber optic front sight on my 26" barrel for my Rem 870 - I use it for trap shooting. Many thousands of rounds, and it has never given me any issues. The one I have has a hole that fits over the front bead - it does not move!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

maybe it's just me, but personally unless I was making 75 yd shots..Which in an HD situation most likely won't happen..Is sights really needed on a shotgun?..I mean I shoot COM anyways..Hard to miss close range with 00 buck..Or even a slug ...I see and use the advantages of having a light mounted..But I have never really thought of night sights on a shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bama_77 View Post
    maybe it's just me, but personally unless I was making 75 yd shots..Which in an HD situation most likely won't happen..Is sights really needed on a shotgun?..I mean I shoot COM anyways..Hard to miss close range with 00 buck..Or even a slug ...I see and use the advantages of having a light mounted..But I have never really thought of night sights on a shotgun.
    The light on the front of a HD shotgun should be re-named the 'goodnight' light...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links