Question on Remington 870 Shotgun - Page 2

Question on Remington 870 Shotgun

This is a discussion on Question on Remington 870 Shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; x2 on the support your local store. They should have plenty in stock. You can customize them and add an extended tube on some models. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Question on Remington 870 Shotgun

VIP Member
    x2 on the support your local store. They should have plenty in stock. You can customize them and add an extended tube on some models. There are several options for the loads, 00 buckshot, slugs or sabots,birdshot, game loads. The recoil can and will vary. I don't know that you need 3" mag loads for HD.
    not all 870 models can take the 3" some are 2 3/4" only. My favorite shot gun is my 870 Wingmaster 20 ga. It is light, and shoots great, I can run it in complete darkness. I like to bird hunt with it over the 12 ga. Just because it is lighter. Kinda long for HD but would work if needed.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

The Remington 870 is a commonly used shotgun with the police all over the country, as well as a number of other security companies, and is a very reliable firearm. I used one for several years in my prior life, and never had a problem or malfunction at any time. As far as home security goes, I would tend to favor a shorter barreled (18 1/2") 12 gauge shotgun that would hold more shells, though I don't own one at this time--I only have a much longer barreled Mossberg that I used to go pheasant hunting with (that I've been thinking about modifying for home defense). Regardless, if the 870 is your choice, you can't go wrong. The advantage of a shorter-versus-longer barrel is in manipulation of the shotgun in a relatively limited space, as opposed to hunting outdoors where a longer barrel has distinct advantages.

In terms of recoil, I think it's pretty much been covered but for one factor that I didn't see--If one chooses to use 00 buckshot for home defense (or for hunting), understand that the kick from that is greater than for any other size pellet (that I've fired, anyway). However, 00 lets loose (9) .33 caliber shot at the single pull of a trigger, and so can be incredibly effective, with excellent penetration.

I hope my 2 cents helps, have a great day!

Don't forget to factor in your living situation. There's a good chance of punching through a wall with buck shot at such a close range (inside of a room).

I too think the 870 can make a great home defense shotgun, however I do want to caution that it may not be the best choice for everyone, the standard safety button is designed for right handed people only and if you have short arms or a small frame you may find something like a Mossberg Bantam series with its shorter throw fits you better.

Thanks friends!

One thing you need to figure in any gun you buy on the internet is if there are shipping charges,and the FFL dealer that receives it on your end is going to charge you a transfer fee usually between $25 and $50 per gun,so if the gun with tax locally is close to or cheaper than the gun online your better off supporting your local dealer
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links