Question on Remington 870 Shotgun

This is a discussion on Question on Remington 870 Shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I believe I'm going to buy this shotgun for home defense. I understand it can hold 5-8 rounds. Is that correct? If so, why the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Question on Remington 870 Shotgun

Question on Remington 870 Shotgun

I believe I'm going to buy this shotgun for home defense. I understand it can hold 5-8 rounds. Is that correct? If so, why the variance in rounds? Perhaps it's because there are different versions of this shotgun??? If so, is there a version with less "kick" than others and, again if so, what might be a drawback to that version?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

Different versions hold different amounts. Normal is 4, mine has a 2 round extension that makes it 6. The only difference in perceived recoil will be between different gauges. Recoil increases as you go larger from .410 < 20 gauge < 16 gauge < 12 gauge. It also depends on what type of ammunition you use. Magnums will kick more.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Usually as more rounds are added, to a point, the barrel length increases as well. This is mostly in defensive shotguns. Hunting guns,though long in the barrel hold fewer rounds. As an example, a HD shotgun with an 18 inch barrel may hold 6-7 rds. I have one that has a 20" barrel and holds 8+1. With an 18 inch barrel the magazine tube would protrude farther than the barrel.

In most cases if you need for that a few shots I would suggest it might be time to get out, or grab a rifle!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Thanks guys! It sounds like the standard, 4-shot version would be more than sufficient. Would you agree?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K9Buck View Post
    Thanks guys! It sounds like the standard, 4-shot version would be more than sufficient. Would you agree?
    I think you could go with either of these and be good:

Pump Action Shotgun - Model 870 Express Synthetic SYNTHETIC 18 - Remington Shotguns

Pump Action Shotgun - Model 870 Express Synthetic 7 Round - Remington Shotguns

Would you like to carry 4 in the tube or 6. Personally, I'd opt for carrying 6 simply because there's no reason not to, but either one would make a great HD weapon.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Most shotguns will handle different size shells. It will hold less if you use 3 inch shells.

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    I think you could go with either of these and be good:

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...ic-18inch.aspx

Pump Action Shotgun - Model 870 Express Synthetic 7 Round - Remington Shotguns

Would you like to carry 4 in the tube or 6. Personally, I'd opt for carrying 6 simply because there's no reason not to, but either one would make a great HD weapon.
    Thanks for the links! Six rounds sounds even better to me. So, how do I go from 4-shots to 6? Is it based on the ammo that I use or do I need to add something to the gun?

VIP Member
    No, if you look at the length of the tube under the barrel on both of the links you'll see the tube is longer on the "7 round" model. You can hold two more shells in that one. They call it a "7 round" model because it will hold 6 shells in the tube and 1 in the chamber.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Ok, thanks!

One more question, please. Is it customary to buy these in person or can it be purchased via the internet? Thanks again!

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Don't forget, you can add a side saddle to hold rounds in reserve, that way they are on the gun and you don't have to look for them. The side saddle can be mounted in a variety of way. Some are hard mounted to the side of the receiver, or on the stock, if you have an adjustable length stock, they tend to have a provision to mount the saddle. That's where I mounted mine, that's just preference. They also make soft shell holders that "strap" into the stock if you keep the traditional shaped stock.

An 870 is a great choice, every accessory in the world is out there to make it fit your needs.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    One more question, please. Is it customary to buy these in person or can it be purchased via the internet? Thanks again!
    If you buy from an on-line site or auction, it still has to ship to a local FFL dealer to run the background check before you can take it home. If the local store has one, that's just as easy. the 870 is relatively inexpensive, the hassles of on-line may not be worth it.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Senior Moderator
    Any gun you buy on the internet still has to go to a dealer with a Federal Firearms License. And the dealer will perform the background checks, just as he would if you bought one from his inventory.

Davidson's is one of the largest online gun stores www.galleryofguns.com - Buy guns online, top brands, best price, best service, best warranty; all types of firearms: revolvers, rifles, pistols and shotguns.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Thanks gents!

Administrator
    My advice would be to support your local gun shop. The 870 in any flavor is a common item and easy to get, there really is no need to transfer one in purchased on the net. You'll get better service and you can ask all the questions you want to a real live person- But you are still encouraged to ask all you want here too.
    TX expat, ctr and K9Buck like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links