AR15 and money not being an issue??? - Page 2

AR15 and money not being an issue???

This is a discussion on AR15 and money not being an issue??? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; NEMO Arms. However, in the AR platform in general, it wouldn't be an AR15. It would be NEMO's "Omen" 300 magnum AR....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: AR15 and money not being an issue???

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar

AR15 and money not being an issue???

NEMO Arms. However, in the AR platform in general, it wouldn't be an AR15. It would be NEMO's "Omen" 300 magnum AR.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

We've been through this exact thread so many times there's probably still one on the first page.

Professional Grade rifles ready for duty use out of the box - Colt, BCM, Centurion Arms, Knight's Armament, Noveske, Daniel Defense, LMT, LaRue.

Commercial Grade rifles geared towards hobby shooters (doesn't mean the bean counters don't still buy the for duty use though) - Bushmaster, DPMS, RRA, Model 1, Stag, Del-Ton and similar rifles pushed by gun store employees.

Now, this doesn't mean all the pro grade rifles are always 100% and it certainly doesn't mean that all commercial grade rifles are not acceptable for duty use. But typically, commercial grade rifles will have carbine buffers with 16" carbine gas systems (when an H or even H2 is more appropriate - they do this because their average customer shoots cheaper ammo, not duty ammo), staking can be shoddy, testing can be sub par as well as materials used, etc.

Up until recently the price of a Colt 6920, one of the best fighting rifles available, was averaging around $1,000. To spend close to that on a Bushmaster would be insanity. Still, it happens all the time. Does it matter for 98% of people reading this? Doubtful. But, if I'm relying on an AR to save my life, the life of a family member or for duty use you better believe I will not skimp one tiny bit on the rifle I purchase. I will buy the very best I can. By best, I mean the one that percentage wise has the best success.

Of all the rifles I mentioned, I've owned most. I've also owned piston AR's but didn't list them as there's more to them and difference between each. The ones that have worked the best for me have been Colt, BCM and Noveske. My LMT 10.5" guns have been great too. I had two Bushmasters and one DPMS completely fail me in short order.

I won't buy a Ruger semi auto for carry or work. So, why the heck would I buy a Bushmaster for the same use?
    Skygod, sammage and tokerblue like this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Most mentioned are great rifles and will got the job done.

I'm a piston convert so LWRCi get's my vote but that does not mean that an LMT or POF or other system isn't a great rifle either ? No, it does not.

LWRC's barrels are a propietary type lining far exceeding the barrel life of chrome lining. One of the most accurate AR's I've ever shot, out of the box. The process is referred as Nicor (patent pending)

I'm still an LMT CQB MRP guy too. the platform is one of the nicest out there, for a service grade rifle. The barrel change out option with the a simple torque wrench is what drew me to it plus the one piece "monolithic railed upper" is probably the best way to go. Get your lower registered and then just pop in your 10.5" barrel assembly and you've got your shorty ready to go in one package. BCM is great but like everyone else, trying to find one is thin to no go in this current political chaos. I saw an LMT CQB MRP 16" for $4000 on Gunbroker. I paid $ 1,400 for mine in 2010.

By the way, my LWRCi M6A2 is for sale. I hate too part with her, but other things need a cash infusion right now.

Not to start any flame wars but I wouldn't own a Reed Knight rifle if it was the only manufacturer left in the industry.

A close friend of mine who served with SEAL 1 and Developmental Group/DEVGRU will swear by POF's rifles all day. any day and then some. He's shooting their .308 models. You can see him on Animal Planet soon in the new upcoming show Battleground-Rhino Wars.

YMMV.
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    All are their versions of Colt. Spikes tactical is very good as well

There are SOOO many great ARs - Colt, Larue, Daniel Defense, Noveske. If I could have one of those, it would be the Noveske.

That being said, I have a Spike's middy and I love it. IMO Spike's is comparable if you look at bang for buck.
    Armatus Carry Solutions: Custom Kydex Holsters, mag pouches, and accessories.

Not a fan of Spikes. One other that needs mentioning is Centurion Arms.
    jonconsiglio likes this.
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    Not a fan of Spikes either. I mentioned Centurion Arms in my first post in this thread. Monty is one hell of a guy and his chf barrels are extremely accurate and very durable. On par with Noveske's CHF n4, with the benefit that they're available separately, unlike Noveske's.
    Skygod and munch520 like this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    Anything in particular? Mine has been great. Although, I have heard that the guys at Spike's are a$$es. Can't confirm that, seeing that I have never spoken with any of them.
    Armatus Carry Solutions: Custom Kydex Holsters, mag pouches, and accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by ACS_Matt View Post
    There are SOOO many great ARs - Colt, Larue, Daniel Defense, Noveske. If I could have one of those, it would be the Noveske.

That being said, I have a Spike's middy and I love it. IMO Spike's is comparable if you look at bang for buck.
    +1 for the Spike's Middy. Love mine quality product for a reasonable price. YMMV

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by ACS_Matt View Post
    Anything in particular? Mine has been great. Although, I have heard that the guys at Spike's are a$$es. Can't confirm that, seeing that I have never spoken with any of them.
    I can confirm it. Spend a few minutes with them at a gun show and you'll see the reputation is well-earned.
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

VIP Member
    Barrett Rec 7
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Knight's Armament.

OP - There are two stickies at the top of this forum that should go a long way toward answering your question - the AR Buyer's Guide and the Comparison Chart.

Now - I am not a fan of the AR. Had an M16 in the Army, and I was not impressed. And at current prices, I am even less of a fan of the AR. If you can wait for prices to come back down to reality, I would encourage you to wait. There are many good rifles out there, any of which could be used for defensive purposes. Heck, for what ARs are going for now, you can outfit all your family, friends and neighbors with lever guns. Sheesh...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Not a fan of Spikes either. I mentioned Centurion Arms in my first post in this thread. Monty is one hell of a guy and his chf barrels are extremely accurate and very durable. On par with Noveske's CHF n4, with the benefit that they're available separately, unlike Noveske's.
    Yeah I don't like spiders.

And my next will be Centurion...or at least have a Cent barrel.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links