Um! WOW.....This is a must see!

This is a discussion on Um! WOW.....This is a must see! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Copied from another site! I can honestly say that I have never seen anything like this before! Ti. Warning! Remove boresighter before firing live round!! ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Um! WOW.....This is a must see!

Um! WOW.....This is a must see!

Copied from another site!

I can honestly say that I have never seen anything like this before!

Ti.

Warning! Remove boresighter before firing live round!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or else this will happen!

This was forwarded to me in an email.

Email text: Today, there was a non-injury mishap on the lower range. A customer, sighting-in his hunting rifle, forgot to remove the boresighter before
    firing a live round. It was a Savage bolt-action, I believe in .30-06. Attached are photos of the results. Bill Anderson asked the
    shooter if he might donate the remains of the barrel for hunter-safety courses. The rifle's action is probably salvageable . The boresighter was found almost all the way to the 100yd target holders.

Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Wow! That guy is extraordinarily fortunate that the action did not fail and blow up in his face.

Yikes!!!!!!

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I bet that boresighter looked like a tracer round flying downrange! Lucky fella right there.

Assistant Administrator
    I had seen one of those pics and confess I was dubious - mainly because I'd expect the over-pressure to be released as soon as the barrel started separating and so only a partial splitting. But it turns out this was genuine.

What is amazing is the degree of peeling back - more what I'd expect from a small charge of C4 I guess tho, the time it took when bullet impinged rear of boresighter was in pressure terms long enough that it represented a brief total obstruction - and its weight/mass was enough to cause the needed delay before it moved! Perhaps too the barrel being pretty thin walled - another factor.

Amazing.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I've received the email earlier this week. I still don't believe it. The lines along which the barrel split are too perfect and too long. If it split it would not have split over a few inches. The more likely manner of the split would be along the grooves.

Mythbusters tried to get a shotgun to split the barrel and finally had to plug it completely and then only got it to expand and split a short distance. In order to get a rifle to split as shown you would almost have to have weakened it along the lines that it split on.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I would say and thought the same thing Chris when I saw this. I thought the metal being used must be thinner than the heavy barrel's or higher end rifles produced. This quite possibly saved the guy's face if this truley happend.

Ti.
    Last edited by Ti Carry; October 26th, 2006 at 02:04 PM.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    If this is for real, it is amazing that the guy wasnt seriously injured. Pretty amazing.
    Fear No Evil.

VIP Member
    If you look at what is left of the bore-sighter, you can see a lot of the arbor is missing. It looks too me like about 2 inches are missing.

You can also see the rupture started a few inches from the end of the barrel. Once the rupture started it just caused a whipping action along the splits.

It appears the bullet hit the arbor & caused the arbor to mushroom outwards, rather than pushing it out of the barrel. Result was a completed obstructed barrel. The pressure then built up until barrel ruptured, which then split barrel & launched what was left of arbor & sighter down range. Remember it was also a 30.06, a lot of energy in that round.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I've seen something similar, except on a touch bigger gun. Someone, who will remain unnamed shot a boresight out of a 25mm barrel on a Bradley. The barrel separated where the boresight began and both boresight and end of barrel traveled a good ways down range.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Maybe it was a fluted barrel, resulting in the flower like peel back. I don't know, but if it is for real, then my next bolt action is a Savage, because I'd expect the action to fail.

Lead Moderator
    If that is for real......... WOW!!! That is some amazing damage.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator

Question

I wonder if it's Sighted In OK now?

Senior Moderator
    You know you gotta get prior approval from the BATF before you convert a rifle to a short barrel. LOL!

I think I saw something similar and it was said to be fake. I'm not sure, looks to perfect to be real.

i could see a high pressure cartridge doing that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links