7.62x54r Bolt Action

7.62x54r Bolt Action

This is a discussion on 7.62x54r Bolt Action within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I took my new (to me) Type 53 to an indoor range today to get an idea of how accurately I can shoot it. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 7.62x54r Bolt Action

7.62x54r Bolt Action

I took my new (to me) Type 53 to an indoor range today to get an idea of how accurately I can shoot it.

I shot if for the first time yesterday outdoors, but really didn't have a comparison of how loud it was because I was by myself.

The indoor range was busy today. I had to wait about 15 minutes to get a lane.

I finally got a lane and got set up. All 12 lanes were full. People were shooting various calibers of rifles and handguns: pop, pop, pop, boom, boom, boom.

I pulled the trigger: BOOM! The guy in the lane to my right slowly peeked around the wall and said "Wow! I felt the concussion in my chest!" After the 3rd round I heard the woman with him say "Geez!". On about the 5th round I thought "This thing doesn't kick too bad." After the 9th round I thought "Okay, my shoulder's starting to feel this."

I had intended to only shoot 10 rounds: 5 with the bayonet folded on one target, 5 with it extended on a second target. However, after the 7th round I realized I hadn't extended the bayonet. So I extended it and finished the 5 rounds, brought the target in and marked them, then sent it out for a full 5 rounds with the bayonet extended. With the iron sights and the bayonet extended I grouped 2 1/2" (marked 2 in the photo). Either the gun shoots a little left or I do. Not sure yet. Either way I was pretty happy with the results. This gun is fun! Especially at $0.20 per round!
    Attached Images
    Live_2_Ride and peckman28 like this.

VIP Member
    We have a few that shoot the 7.62X54R at the range I use and I agree even at an outdoor range they are loud. I also get an interesting reaction when I shoot the Garand, when the clip ejects people will look like “did something break”. Oh and nice group.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

We shot 7.62 x 54 rifles pretty regularly when I was in the military. We found it to be roughly equivalent to a 30.06 in report and recoil. When you shoot one out in the desert, the dirt in about a 6-foot radius around you jumps off the ground and falls back down. I really can't imagine what it would sound like at a cramped indoor range. Wow. You would feel it as much as hear it.
    atctimmy likes this.

VIP Member
    I do love shooting the 7.62x54r (I have an m44), but never would I bring it to an indoor range. It's a little beast that loves to part the grass and my hair.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blanco64 View Post
    After the 9th round I thought "Okay, my shoulder's starting to feel this."
    I kept getting bruised with my 91/30 so when I got my M38 Carbine I replaced the butt plate with this (still have the original butt plate when I need it). And it makes a BIG difference.

JoJoGunn and pgrass101 like this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    I kept getting bruised with my 91/30 so when I got my M38 Carbine I replaced the butt plate with this (still have the original butt plate when I need it). And it makes a BIG difference.

We just got a 91/30! The rubber butt pad is definitely on my to-buy list.

I have a 12 gauge but I have never shot a rifle that big before. My dad had a .308 when I was younger, but I barely remember it.

I was going to put a butt pad on my Mosins, but I kinda just got used to the recoil. I use Prvi Partizan Brass in mine, and I love the report and muzzle flash. I can only shoot indoors with them because I really dont have a place around here locally to shoot outdoors.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Yep,the 762x54R dragunov that I shoot occasionally will leave a butt stock print on my shoulder.

People that see my 91/30 at the range often ask about the solid steel butt plate that's on there.. asking what its for.. I tell them its so that when the Russians ran out of ammo and the bayonet got stuck in the Nazi in front of you, you can use it to bash in the face of the Nazi behind you.. I wasn't kidding either.. I'm pretty sure that's why its on there.

I've shot my 91/30 indoors, outdoors, and in a small ice shanty turned deer blind. Indoors, its a huge BOOM and you feel the concussive blast pretty good in the chest. Outdoors its more just heavy recoil and a good noise. In the deer blind (took my first deer with this rifle, open iron sights, bone stock 1939 Tula, 80yds right through the chest and out the left shoulder) I didnt even hear or feel the gun fire! OK i knew it fired but i expected to be bleeding out of my ears.. no not really.
    msgt/ret likes this.

I have a 1942 Mosin-Nagant 91/30 that escaped the burglar last year, he got others but left me this one. Couldn't carry it out so he tossed it on the bed.

I got a rubber recoil pad from one of my step-kids and can't wait to try it out. My wife won't shoot the thing without one. It left a nasty bruise on her after just one round. It does indeed make a loud bang.

The 7.62 x 54r is very comparable to the .30-06 or the .303 British. The Soviets used it effectively against the German 8mm Mauser in WW II and I hear they made 17 million 91/30's.

I'd like to have the M44 Carbine version of the Mosin.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I love my Mosin-Nagant 91/30 it is so much fun to shoot!

I have a 1942 and a 1932. Got to shoot the 1932 the other day for the first time. As I'm equally mediocre with either hand, when my left side got sore, I switched to my right. Sighted it in at 40 yards, then set up at 100 yards for the last 5 shots: hit the nine inch pie plate 2x and on the cardboard the other 3. Can't wait to go again!

That's a nice group you shot!

It's a fun gun, especially at a low per-round cost. I bought two hex-receiver 91/30s with 880 rounds for about $250 a few years ago. Finally got one cleaned up last summer, and I'd say it shoots about3-4 inches at 100 yards. My range has a 24" square plate at 300 yards, and I could make that ring reliably from the bench.

Recoil isn't all that bad - hey, it's a 9-pound gun!

I noticed no difference in accuracy with or without the pig-sticker, but there was about a 3" shift in point of impact (can't remember which direction).

Here's a fun video for all the Mosin-Nagant fans - YouTube: VIDEO: VigilantSpectre: Mosin Run and Gun 2013: Mosin Nagant 7.62X54R (Part I)
    Attached Images
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

7.62x54r Bolt Action

The best thing about 7.62x54r is the price. You can shoot all day for just a small amount of money - but if you shoot all day, you will have one sore shoulder.

Custom Kydex holsters, mag pouches, and accessories.
    www.armatuscarry.com
    www.Facebook.com/armatuscarry
    Armatus Carry Solutions: Custom Kydex Holsters, mag pouches, and accessories.

Mosin carbines are dragons. I have an M38 and an M44 and they BREATHE FIRE. Seriously. I'm scared I'll set the wooden shooting stations ablaze when I fire them at my local range.

My 2 91/30s are a little tamer, but not by much. If you're shooting a 91/30 with the bayonet on, make sure to use the 50 yard or longer lanes, otherwise you'll be rubbing the target with the bayonet...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links