Input on Doublestar AR-15 rifles - Page 4

Input on Doublestar AR-15 rifles

This is a discussion on Input on Doublestar AR-15 rifles within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Hoplyte To weigh back in on the topic, one of the uses would be, if necessary, for self-defense. So what would the ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Input on Doublestar AR-15 rifles

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplyte View Post
    To weigh back in on the topic, one of the uses would be, if necessary, for self-defense.
    So what would the primary use be? Plinking, target shooting, hunting? If hunting are we talking little critters or maybe hogs or deer? Like the hammer analogy the best tool is going to depend on the job. If you are thinking target shooting and the self defense is on a farm with clear fields of fire for half a mile in every direction an H-Bar match type rifle would be the best option. If it is for shorter range work a carbine might be the way to go.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

To weigh back in on the topic, one of the uses would be, if necessary, for self-defense.
    Imagine that! Thanks for replying/letting us know.

Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    This has been a really nice read, although I'm a little disappointed I didn't get to hear more from mcp1810 and munch520. Next time I guess.
    Haha

atctimmy likes this.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    So what would the primary use be? Plinking, target shooting, hunting? If hunting are we talking little critters or maybe hogs or deer? Like the hammer analogy the best tool is going to depend on the job. If you are thinking target shooting and the self defense is on a farm with clear fields of fire for half a mile in every direction an H-Bar match type rifle would be the best option. If it is for shorter range work a carbine might be the way to go.

Seriously, your starting to really look like a fool with an agenda. Maybe it's time to stop arguing this one and just let it go.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

I wouldn't hesitate to use a DS for just about any purpose.

Maybe too much is made out of things. I remember before the madness began, I could walk into Buds Gun Shop, and they had the Flattop version of DS stacked in boxes on the floor for 699.00

That's a deal, and I'd say they are comparable to Bushys or others.
    atctimmy and mcp1810 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Seriously, your starting to really look like a fool with an agenda. Maybe it's time to stop arguing this one and just let it go.
    I am just trying to help someone make an informed decision on a major purchase. Some things are worth spending extra money on, some things aren't. What those things are depends on what the rifle is going to be used for doesn't it?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I have the close range stuff covered. I don't know if DS does other calibers besides 5.56/223, was half asleep when I looked at their website and posted this thread. Hence the lack of information. Hunting would be another use. Hogs and deer would be the intended targets. I have been reading up on the 6.8 spc and the 6.5 Grendel. They both have merit, but in light of current ammo scarcity, wonder if I would be wise to consider a .308 version?

I have the close range stuff covered. I don't know if DS does other calibers besides 5.56/223, was half asleep when I looked at their website and posted this thread. Hence the lack of information. Hunting would be another use. Hogs and deer would be the intended targets. I have been reading up on the 6.8 spc and the 6.5 Grendel. They both have merit, but in light of current ammo scarcity, wonder if I would be wise to consider a .308 version?
    If you can afford an OBR I'd do that in a heartbeat! They're in the bolt gun realm as far as accuracy, .3-.7 minute guns usually.

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

VIP Member
    I went through this same search a few years ago and I learned that if you want an AR15 then it should be chambered in 5.56. The cost/value just doesn't add up with any other caliber. 6.8SPC is a cool round (as is the 6.5 Grendel) but both of these rounds cost more than .308 ammo and are hard to find.

If you want a rifle to pop a deer I suggest looking at something in .308. Your other option (and probably the most economical) is to buy a standard M4gery like your Double Star at Buds for 699. Then buy an inexpensive deer rifle like a Stevens 200 in .308 around $350ish. Buying both rifles will cost less than most AR10s from a quality manufacturer.

A third option is to go with a rifle chambered in 7.62X39. The 7.62X39 has roughly the same ballistics as a 30-30 so it would kill deer nicely out to 200 yards. It is also cheap to buy and widely available. If I were looking at a deer hunting/SD/do it all rifle I would go with a Mini Thirty Tactical because ARs in 7.62X39 are well known to be jam-o-matics.

Ruger Mini Thirty Tactical 7.62X39, Flash Hider and Ghost Ring Sight - Impact Guns

I also would look at a Sig but they are expensive:

SIG 556R Classic Rifle - 7.62x39 - "New Generation Rifles"

Lastly I'd look at one of these if you MUST have an AR. BUT these are new to the market and IMO unproven. They do look cool and theoretically they solve the problems associated with an AR in 7.62X39:

Rock River Arms: RRA LAR-47 7.62x39mm
    Last edited by atctimmy; February 14th, 2013 at 06:01 PM.
    mcp1810 likes this.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Munch520 and atctimmy,
    You have given some other options I hadn't thought of. Thank you.

Munch520 and atctimmy,
    You have given some other options I hadn't thought of. Thank you.
    Great! Sorry for the numerous detours but I'm glad you got something out of it.
    atctimmy likes this.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If you want a rifle to pop a deer I suggest looking at something in .308. Your other option (and probably the most economical) is to buy a standard M4gery like your Double Star at Buds for 699. Then buy an inexpensive deer rifle like a Stevens 200 in .308 around $350ish. Buying both rifles will cost less than most AR10s from a quality manufacturer.
    Pre-political stupdity, the Remington R25 went for around $1000-1100. By all accounts it's not a bad rifle; basically a dressed up DPMS, so it'll use a common .308 magazine standard (meaning, it takes Pmags). Don't expect them to hold a candle to a GAP, LMT, or Larue rifle in terms of craftsmanship and quality. The same will be true of the RRA .308 ARs, although they're generally held in good regard.

Many states have minimum caliber requirements to hunt deer with. You might want to identify that first; in FL, we can't use .223 to hunt deer so a standard AR is a no-to.

For me, the 6.5 and 6.8 rounds do nothing. If I'm going specialty, I'll go super-specialized - 7.62x40 or a 7mm variant are good options.
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links