Input on Doublestar AR-15 rifles

This is a discussion on Input on Doublestar AR-15 rifles within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Provided that the AWB doesn't pass and the panic dies down, later this year I would like to add an AR-15 or two to the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Input on Doublestar AR-15 rifles

Provided that the AWB doesn't pass and the panic dies down, later this year I would like to add an AR-15 or two to the safe. I like supporting local companies and know that Doublestar is based in Kentucky. My question is are they worth considering or should I invest my money in another manufacturer? Any owners of Doublestar rifles feel free to comment.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Milspec is Milspec as long as the price is right

They are out of Winchester, Ky. I have heard nothing but good things about them from local enthusiasts.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    There are a lot of better options out there if you spend a few extra bucks. If you want the most for your money and can't afford a Colt I'd look into Palmetto State.

I was considering Double Star about a year ago, doing research found that nothing about Double Star is "mil spec", I'm not saying they're completely bad, in fact I've talked to people who own them and love them, there are just many better options if you spend an extra $100-200 (when prices aren't crazy).
    atctimmy and munch520 like this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Something to keep in mind is that "mil-spec" is not the be all end all of everyting. A manufacturer can have specs superior to the military and build to those higher specs and not have a "mil-spec" product. All "mil-spec" is is a guarantee of a minimum level of tollerances, materials used, and testing. Basically it is equivalent to "good enough for government" work.
    Skygod and Crowman like this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I know some member's here pooh pooh Spike's, but they are solid. Bang for buck, I think they rank pretty high.
    Armatus Carry Solutions: Custom Kydex Holsters, mag pouches, and accessories.

I built my Doublestar 2 1/2 years ago and have shot a couple of thousand rounds through it. Very accurate, never a misfire or failure to feed.
    U.S. Navy vet
    "...got a shotgun, a rifle and a .45........"

What are the prices on the doublestar guns? Both pre crazy and now.

Re: Input on Doublestar AR-15 rifles

I bought a bargain bin AR from CMMG a few years ago and it ended up bring a Double Star lower, and I'm guessing upper, for $600. Runs great and I'd buy more if they still had that deal.

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Something to keep in mind is that "mil-spec" is not the be all end all of everyting. A manufacturer can have specs superior to the military and build to those higher specs and not have a "mil-spec" product. All "mil-spec" is is a guarantee of a minimum level of tollerances, materials used, and testing. Basically it is equivalent to "good enough for government" work.
    Good point. Which is why I'm baffled when someone spends thousands of dollars on something that doesn't meet a minimum expectation.

OP, my main concern with these guns is the barrel. Gas keys and castle nuts can be staked, carriers swapped out, etc. but some brands are known for tight chambers and gaping gas ports, neither or which can be fixed (unless you want to pay to have a chamber reamed).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

VIP Member
    Very true Mil Spec is the minimum standard. Can you tell us where Double Star exceeds Mil Spec? Oh, they don't?
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Very true Mil Spec is the minimum standard. Can you tell us where Double Star exceeds Mil Spec? Oh, they don't?
    But part of that minimum standard is a testing requirement. If you do not test "X" part using "Y" procedure it is not mil-spec. That does not mean the part is in any way inferior to a mil-spec part. All it means is that the part was not tested using "Y" procedure. I could build you an AR out of pure unobtanium that would last a billion rounds with zero maintenance and zero wear and it would not be mil-spec because I don't bother to mpi test the bolt and unobtainium is not the specified alloy for the receiver.

Mil-spec is really only important if you are bidding on a military contract.

VIP Member
    But part of that minimum standard is a testing requirement. If you do not test "X" part using "Y" procedure it is not mil-spec. That does not mean the part is in any way inferior to a mil-spec part. All it means is that the part was not tested using "Y" procedure. I could build you an AR out of pure unobtanium that would last a billion rounds with zero maintenance and zero wear and it would not be mil-spec because I don't bother to mpi test the bolt and unobtainium is not the specified alloy for the receiver.

Mil-spec is really only important if you are bidding on a military contract.
    You can always exceed Mil Spec if you want to build a better product. Making a rifle out of "unobtainium" would exceed Mil Spec. You would still need some type of QA for your production run. Then you would market your product accordingly. You would sell your rifle indicating that your materials are vastly superior to Mil Spec material and some of the testing done on steel isn't needed. Double Star doesn't do that.

Now, again, can you tell me where Double Star exceeds Mil Spec?
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Incorrect on Mil-spec. It is not a minimum standard.
    It is a standard that was adopted for the AR platform from many years and many round of experience. If you purchase an Ar that every part meets Mi-spec you will have a fine AR the will last you for a long time.
    Can you buy better ,sure we could argue weather it is really worth it or not but if you want to spend more you can always get better.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Now, again, can you tell me where Double Star exceeds Mil Spec?
    Nope. Have not had the time to look them over recently. And actually calling it a "minimum standard" is a bit misleading. Can you tell me why a mil-spec buffer tube is mechanically more reliable than a commercial diameter one? Or why a phosphate coated part is superior to titanium nitride? Or a steel firing pin to a titanium pin? Why is the mil-spec trigger pull of 5.5 to 8.5 pounds superior to say a two pound Timney trigger? And if the mil spec trigger is so good why are people paying millions of dollars a year to change them? Are they paying all that money to downgrade their rifles? Are the match rifles used by the various military rifle teams inferior to Pvt. Snuffy's rifle in the arms room? His has a mil-spec trigger and theirs don't.

Mil-spec is a standard. It is a good standard. But just because a product does not claim to be mil-spec does not mean it is inferior. The materials and workmanship should be judged on their own merit.
    Skygod likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links