Besides the screw and the guitar min-knob, I got a mini torch bought at Home Depot for $10, Brownell's Hi-Force solder and Comet-Flux.
I followed the recomendations that came with the solder and tinned the parts before doing the final soldering. Swabbed some flux on the area and soldered. Not pretty, but did the job. That little torch will generate a lot of heat and I mean a lot....up to 3100 F. The Brownell's solder only needed 500 F so I ran into some beading but got the hang of it.
That is the "good looking" side with the screw pre-cut to the needed lenght.
Next was to grind and smooth the area. It looks crappy but it is more a combination of camera and photographer than the actuar work.
Next was to install the mini know and tighten the heck out of it with an allen wrench.
And then put it back in the rifle. Done! It is a much smaller profile than the ones above, but still very confy to use.
That's it. Other than getting the stuff, the modification is easy and inexpensive. Yes I ended up spending more than if I had bought the safety I show on top of the thread, but not really. I keep material & tooling that I will use for another modification on the Ak and other stuff around the house. Besides it was fun to mess with this thing.