More Ak tinkering.

More Ak tinkering.

This is a discussion on More Ak tinkering. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok so 3 more items that are relatively inexpensive. Anyone use or not use these items? 1. Tactical mag release. keeps strong hand on pistol ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Ak tinkering.

More Ak tinkering.

Ok so 3 more items that are relatively inexpensive. Anyone use or not use these items?

1. Tactical mag release. keeps strong hand on pistol grip.
    2. Tactical safety. has a lower finger position for using the safety w/o moving hand from pistol grip. Is the bolt hold open good or is the hole bad because of dirt in the receiver?
    3. Forward pistol grip/flashlight holder/flashlight trigger. good for forward rails.
    Attached Images
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

Assistant Administrator
    Don't use any as such but - did modify my safety way back to take out a relief that would engage on the bolt handle for a hold-open.

It was not very successful as the roundness of the bolt handle allows for any major movement of the gun or shock - to allow relase and bolt slams fwd.

I'll try and post a pic. It's an easy mod' but what I will yet have to do is file the bolt handle profile to something with a sharp angle and loose the rounded current shape at lower front.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK - three pics - you'll see in this case the safety relief matches the bolt handle profile - quite an easy job to do but - that roundness at the front allows the bolt to escape too easily. Does not hold secure well enough.

Next plan is to get a new safety - just a std one and repeat the excercize. This time tho I will reprofile the bolt handle first to a sharper shape at front - get rid of some of that radius - then relieve safety to exactly match and with even some rearward rake to improve the hold. I might even modify existing a bit first to change that front angle.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Try 'em out and report back.

Lead Moderator
    Geez, you AK guys are getting as bad as us AR guys with mods and accessories.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I use the notched safety lever because some ranges require that the bolt is locked open during cease fires. The lever must be manually engaged to lock open the bolt; it does not do so automatically. And no, I have never had a problem with dirt or other fouling because of the notch.

For a good review of the lever, go to http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/swift.htm

P.S. If you have never explored www.gunsnet.net/Linx310 and you have an AK of any make, you may want to take time and visit. The site says "Romanian" but the principles apply to any AK type rifle.
    No guns, no peace.
    Know guns, know peace.

Thanks that answered my questions about buffers, shepherd hooks and adjustable triggers. Next up are a peep sight, forward rails, and a muzzle break.
    Attached Images
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

I've only heard good things about the peep sights.

As far as brakes go, I threaded the barrels on all 4 of my AKs and love the brake I put on it. http://www.therallypoint.org/forum/i...hp?topic=802.0

That's from my threading project.

I think the AK muzzle flip can be cut down with a decent brake.

I put the slant brake on my SAR-1. It's designed to offset the barrel's tendency to rise up and left. It also works well with a bayonet.

In addition to TAPCO and K-VAR, two other good sources for the brake and other accessories are www.dpharms.com and www.tickbitesupply.com.

There is a thread on peep sights at http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=293209 that you may be interested in reading.
    Last edited by dglockster; October 29th, 2006 at 07:26 PM.
    No guns, no peace.
    Know guns, know peace.

Interesting thread; subscribed.

Hey Bryan - where those forward rails come from? Those look nicer than many I'm found. Thanks!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Ok so 3 more items that are relatively inexpensive. Anyone use or not use these items?

1. Tactical mag release. keeps strong hand on pistol grip.
    I have it installed and it is great... provided you secure it good. I tried rivets and they loosen up too quick. I ended up soldering it. With some practice you can almost match an AR reload in a good day

2. Tactical safety. has a lower finger position for using the safety w/o moving hand from pistol grip. Is the bolt hold open good or is the hole bad because of dirt in the receiver?
    I did not care for the notch so I made my own tactical safety. This is a post I made in other forum related to the modification of the exixting safety lever. The knob is a mini-knob for electric guitars & bass guitars.

Besides the screw and the guitar min-knob, I got a mini torch bought at Home Depot for $10, Brownell's Hi-Force solder and Comet-Flux.

I followed the recomendations that came with the solder and tinned the parts before doing the final soldering. Swabbed some flux on the area and soldered. Not pretty, but did the job. That little torch will generate a lot of heat and I mean a lot....up to 3100 F. The Brownell's solder only needed 500 F so I ran into some beading but got the hang of it.

That is the "good looking" side with the screw pre-cut to the needed lenght.

Next was to grind and smooth the area. It looks crappy but it is more a combination of camera and photographer than the actuar work.

Next was to install the mini know and tighten the heck out of it with an allen wrench.

And then put it back in the rifle. Done! It is a much smaller profile than the ones above, but still very confy to use.

That's it. Other than getting the stuff, the modification is easy and inexpensive. Yes I ended up spending more than if I had bought the safety I show on top of the thread, but not really. I keep material & tooling that I will use for another modification on the Ak and other stuff around the house. Besides it was fun to mess with this thing.
    3. Forward pistol grip/flashlight holder/flashlight trigger. good for forward rails.
    Forward pistol grip is this one from Tapco and also the forend itself (Galil type) with the rail kit.
    As for Light Mount I went with Viking Tactics' version. You can use a Nitrolon G2 and actuate it with your thumb. no need for coiled cables or extended switches. And, amazingly, you don't feel you lose control at all and you really don't.

This is what my Ak almost looks like. I have done a couple of cosmetic things and lacks the light mount, but in essence it is all there.

The buttstock I got from KVar, made in the US but a copy of a Bulgarian model, Varsaw Pact lenght. I think I paid like $35 for it. The pistol grip is also from Tapco and it is the SAW-type. It is VERY confortable! If you see somebody with itm try it first, but I'd be willing to bet you'll love it.

PS to Rocky: Almost as bad, but our stuff is still cheap!
    Last edited by Miggy; October 30th, 2006 at 03:59 AM. Reason: extra info added
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Assistant Administrator
    Interesting stuff Miggy - thx.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    My pleasure Chris... anything to get AK guys to go "Oh So Tactical!"
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Lots of people like the peep for the AK- I think its a bit too open for a good peep, too far forward for a decent GR picture. I picked up a pair of RPK adjustable rears, that I'm going to get opened up.
    http://www.tacticalshack.com/store/p...cat=308&page=1

Check in at warriortalk.com -> Rifles in Combat -> Kalashnikov sub-forum. Also, totalprotectioninteractive has good info. Paul Gomez is an excellent AK resource, on TPI.

I don't feel much need for the fore-grip, though I do like them on the AR. As far as brakes, there is really only one choice, currently available: Smith Ent.
    http://www.bhigear.com/index.asp?Pag...l=&strCompare=

This is the flash hider, but their brake is equally effective. Cheaper is certainly available, but........

Nice write-up, Miggy, great pics, and real nice weapon! Thanks!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links