The Ruger 10/22 Appleseed Thread

This is a discussion on The Ruger 10/22 Appleseed Thread within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm currently getting 2 Ruger 10/22's ready for my first Appleseed event and figured there must be a few members here who have done one ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By DMan

Thread: The Ruger 10/22 Appleseed Thread

The Ruger 10/22 Appleseed Thread

I'm currently getting 2 Ruger 10/22's ready for my first Appleseed event and figured there must be a few members here who have done one or may be interested in doing one. I have read through the Appleseed site to get as much info as possible there, guess I'm just looking for more.

So far I've taken bone stock Ruger 10/22 Carbine's and added Tech-Sights, 1 1/4" sling mounts, and a USGI sling - that's what seems to be the highest and most unarguable modifications I've found.

I've read about bolt buffers, but think they are more for your own benefit than the gun itself and I don't mind the sound my 10/22's make, so I think I'll leave it at that.

Automatic bolt release modification I don't think I'm interested in either because I've read that although they make it easier to chamber the first round, it takes more effort to get the bolt to lock back.

I'd like to leave as much factory as possible, I guess I'm one of the few that actually likes how they are as-is, but if you feel there is something that is very beneficial to the Ruger 10/22 please chime in, my mind isn't made up.

2. Remove Ads

The only thing I did to my 10/22 was to add some peep sights like those on an M1A. I prefer those type of sights over the notch and post. I never heard of bolt buffers for a 10/22 and don't see a need for them. The rifle runs great as is. I would like to add a sling but I don't want to drill into the wood. I would like to do an Appleseed with my 10/22 but its pretty much shot out. I can slide a brush through mine with no problems while I have to push on it to get through my wife's. I'm afraid mine won't be accurate enough for Appleseed.

OD*
    I've only added the TSR200 sights and a Houge OverMolded stock to mine.

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Here's what I went with, sounds like the same you chose:
    Tech-SIGHTS Precision Shooting Accessories

I had the same concerns with drilling into the wood... I saw a couple wood stocks on Armslist that were local for under $30 and decided to go for it, if I mess up I can just get one of those.

Well, turns out it wasn't a big deal at all... I originally did just the butt end, and tried using the barrel band adapter for the front, well I ended up not liking that and drilled the front too (even easier than the rear).

OD*, one of mine is wearing that exact stock right now - looks great, especially with the Tech Sights.

Here's the wood one:

Ruger 10/22 "Liberty Rifle" by Mr. Chris Nauman, on Flickr

OD*
    I really like the looks of yours too.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Nice looking set ups y'all have there.

NICE LOOKIN ruger ya got there.
    Just a FYI.......As most all of you know I work at a large GS on the East Coast. There's a Ruger 1022 out there with the Digital Navy Camo (I bet most of you have seen it) These rifles come with a Ruger BX25 mag (unless it's where you can't have a Hi Cap mag) It makes for a good start of a scaled down tactical/plinker/ rifle.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Trigger, Trigger, Trigger, We have two 10/22 - one heavily modified and one almost stock. The one thing I will do to any 10/22 is to drop in a good trigger. It is amazing how a 10/22 is drastically improved with this simple modification.
    bmcgilvray and 006.9V2.1 like this.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Re: The Ruger 10/22 Appleseed Thread

The auto bolt release if done properly does not change how you lock the bolt back at all. If you are worried and since you said you have two buy one and install it and the you have a version to copy with a dremel if you like or can replaxe with factory if you dont. Its the best mod i did to mine.

Extended mag release is also very nice unless yours is new enough for that to be standard.

The bolt buffer makes a good bit of difference in how loud mine is when i shoot it, i was surprised.

Posted via tapatalk, helping people post from odd locations everyday

I don't know anything about the Appleseed match, but I've shot 10-22s for many years, and have full target builds to almost factory. I agree with everything Hedgelj said, and agree with Dman on the trigger.

Doing my own trigger job (actually a hammer mod) or dropping in a good aftermarket hammer is the first thing I would do, and is the single best thing you can do to improve how a 10-22 shoots in my opinion.

A bolt buffer will do more than quieten the action, it protects the aluminum receiver. Over time, the repeated force of the bolt striking the steel pin will wallow out the buffer hole enough that the steel buffet will fall out when the receiver is removed from the stock. You can make your own quite easily by purchasing a 1/4" nylon bolt that has an unthreaded portion and then cut to length. Or there are a number of inexpensive buffers on the market that work very well.

The auto bolt release is a very good and useful modification, and does not negatively impact your ability to lock the bolt back. You can buy one or modify your existing one with a Dremel.

RimfireCentral.com is a good resource for ideas on improving the 10-22.
    NRA Life Member

Been to Appleseed and shot both with and without auto bolt release

My first Appleseed I borrowed one of the coordinator's Ruger 1022s that had the automatic bolt release and really liked it. My own 1022, while dear to my heart, was not nearly as quick. I then took my own 1022 (my brother was borrowing it during my first Appleseed) and the ease and difference was MORE than noticable. I had no trouble at all getting the bolt to lock and the ease of the quick automatic bolt release is WAY preferable having shot both weapons under the same circumstances. I'm sure I'd feel the same out in the field and not just on the range.

I've recently purchased the Volquartsen kit from Midway and HIGHLY recommend it!

Volquartsen High Performance Action Parts Kit Plus Ruger 10/22 Black

Links