Steel case safe for m1a match barrel?

This is a discussion on Steel case safe for m1a match barrel? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; IS steel case ammo safe to feed into a M1A with a stainless match grade barrel?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Steel case safe for m1a match barrel?

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar

IS steel case ammo safe to feed into a M1A with a stainless match grade barrel?
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

I wouldn't feed anything into a match grade gun but brass cased ammo
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I wouldn't feed anything into a match grade gun but brass cased ammo
    Gotcha. Will do! Brass only it shall be.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Also that steel case ammo is awful dirty and hard to clean up.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Re: Steel case safe for m1a match barrel?

That would be like trying to feed a marathoner straight lard before a race and then expect them to race their best.

Posted via tapatalk, helping people post from odd locations everyday

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgelj View Post
    That would be like trying to feed a marathoner straight lard before a race and then expect them to race their best.

Posted via tapatalk, helping people post from odd locations everyday
    Yeah I understand. Brass cased ammo is the way to go. I have also asked about Moly coating the inside of a stainless barrel and the more I read about it the less I want to moly a SS barrel. They have their inherent properties that will be screwy if you moly them like a non SS barrel. Confirm or deny this anyone? I honestly do not have a definite go no go on this topic.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I don't see how the case material has any affect on the barrel at all other then the chamber. I wouldn't have a concern running that ammo in regards to durability, but if you are looking for precision then look elsewhere.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    I don't see how the case material has any affect on the barrel at all other then the chamber. I wouldn't have a concern running that ammo in regards to durability, but if you are looking for precision then look elsewhere.
    Steel cases will do absolutely no damage to your rifle.

Steel jackets however are hard on your barrel, especially non-chrome lined barrels. Most, if not all, steel cased .308 also has a steel jacketed bullet. Don't let the copper wash trick you, there's a steel jacket under the thin copper wash that engages your riflings. I wouldn't run that type of ammo through a match barrel... And that's coming from a guy that shoots mostly Wolf steel ammo.
    NMB likes this.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

I'll shoot steel cased ammo. But if I had a match grade barrel I certainly would look for higher quality brass ammo.

Sure can the car that needs premium run on regular gas... yes. Will it perform as well...no.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

yeah I will just use Federal or whatever I can find. Its all impossibly expensive and impossible to find in the lots of 1000 and 500 rounds. I am happy to just get a box of 20 from time to time.

I am so damn sick of this anti-gun crap and this fear mongering price hiked baloney. No reason that anyone should pay $1.25 for a .223 round and a $2.00 for a .308. I mean a 50 cal round isnt much more expensive, well maybe now.

Time for this madness to stop. Not to mention DHS buying 1.6+ billion rounds in order to dry up the production to the civilian sectors. Atleast that is one side effect.

My personal opinion ( I am no expert) is that if I had a match grade barrel on an M1A, I would only shoot higher quality ammo. I doubt it would make a difference, but I would err on the side if caution.

Sounds like a sweet set up you have there.

Custom Kydex holsters, mag pouches, and accessories.
    www.armatuscarry.com
    www.Facebook.com/armatuscarry
    Armatus Carry Solutions: Custom Kydex Holsters, mag pouches, and accessories.

VIP Member
    Whos barrel are you using? I can check with my contacts and get back to you!
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    Just checked with my contacts and no problem with steel cased
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

NMB
    If your match barrel is made from softer steel than the casing, you bought a crap barrel.

Steel cased ammo is totally safe and doesn't do any damage to your firearms.
    dV8r likes this.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    Some of you ignore the fact steel cased Russian ammo also uses steel jacketed bullets. While the mild steel cases won't damage your chamber and only marginally increases wear on things like the extractor, the steel jacket significantly increases friction and thus wear on your barrel. Non-chrome lined barrels will wear even faster than chrome lined barrels.

Here's the best and most complete test I've ever seen on the effects of using steel cased and jacketed ammo in a rifle.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/bras...el-cased-ammo/

I would read this completely before telling people that steel cased / steel jacketed ammo does no more damage to a rifle than brass cased / copper jacketed ammo.
    10thmtn likes this.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links