Home defense shotgun ammo...

This is a discussion on Home defense shotgun ammo... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello all, been a while since I've been on but I have another question. Any one have any good recommendations on HD shotgun ammo. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Home defense shotgun ammo...

Hello all, been a while since I've been on but I have another question. Any one have any good recommendations on HD shotgun ammo. I am a hornady user for my pistols and recently bought some critical defense shells. I can't find any good resources on patterning, etc for any HD shells. Any input? Thanks

What gauge? If 12 gauge, here is a pretty good thread:

Best 12 gauge ammo?
    PAPADALE1 likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Start with a light load (something less than 00 but more than birdshot) and then move up if the threat is not effectively neutralized by the first round.

My own personal magazine "menu" is a first round of #4. If that doesn't stop them or generate an immediate and rapid retreat then you have a problem. In that instance (no retreat or stop) I have filled out the tube with reduced recoil #1 buckshot to finish the job.
    BelaOkmyx likes this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Depends on the environment you will be shooting in too. I live in a condo building but there are solid concrete walls so I have all 00 buck. But I'm thinking about starting off with some bird too so my first shot will be non-fatal, and the bad guy can admit to what he was doing while they are picking the pellets out. If you've got sheetrock walls and kids in the next room your needs are different, keeping them from getting hurt is your first priority. 20-gauge is sufficient for two-legged animals so you might want to consider that in populated areas.

#4 buck
    Dont mistake Kindness for Weakness!!!
    Kimber Ultra Carry II
    Kel-Tec PF-9
    Ruger SP 101 2 1/4" 357 mag

Loaded with #1 Buck here.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

...I like simple old get-r-done 00 in 12 ga...Wally World 5 pack...in 20 ga...the #3 is most common...nothing fancy or expensive for me...for HD, my shot's going to be less than 40'...those have plenty of power...

I use 00 buck. If someone is breaking into my house I have no desire to "shoot to wound" or "scare them off". My objective is to end the encounter as soon as possible.
    sstefano likes this.

#4 Buck loaded, but as I live in the country, I have a supply of 00 for long-term tactical purposes.

OP - do a search. This has been debated ad naseum. Some respected experts point to #1 buckshot as the best overall blend of penetration (pellets of sufficient size/mass to reach the vitals) and number of pellets. Better even than 00, though harder to find.

Anything that will reach the vitals will penetrate multiple interior walls, which are nothing more than glorified cardboard. Do not use birdshot - insufficient penetration. If the BG is already INSIDE your house, the time for half measures has ended.
    GaryB likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Thanks all. I have a 12 gauge to the one who asked. In the mag now is Winchester super X 00 buck, but like I said, I'm planning on putting in this hornady I bought at a show yesterday. Thanks all!

I was shooting yesterday and patterned 00 buck every 5 yards out to 35 yards. Doing that was worth the effort to see the pattern at 25 yards. I even fired into an old computer with a cover thicker than the metal in cars. I got good penetration at 25 yards. I will try #1 and #4 but I think it will be difficult to beat 00 buck for my situation.

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    00buck up close & personal for up to say 15' to 20', and slugs for further out and beyond.

00 buck hands down for anybody in my home.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    For 12 gauge, I'll pick #1 buckshot based on what I've read from people who know more than I.

Quote Originally Posted by BelaOkmyx View Post
    If you've got sheetrock walls and kids in the next room your needs are different, keeping them from getting hurt is your first priority. 20-gauge is sufficient for two-legged animals so you might want to consider that in populated areas.
    Sheet rock will not stop any 20 gauge buckshot, pistols, or rifles.
    The Box O' Truth #3 - The Shotgun Meets the Box O' Truth - Page 1
    Please read through the link.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links