Reinstalling shotgun long mag tube springs can be tricky- here's a tip...video

This is a discussion on Reinstalling shotgun long mag tube springs can be tricky- here's a tip...video within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Shotguns that have uncaptured mag springs require removal and re-installation. Removal is pretty straight forward - unscrew the cap/tube and the spring comes flying out. ...

Thread: Reinstalling shotgun long mag tube springs can be tricky- here's a tip...video

Senior Moderator

Shotguns that have uncaptured mag springs require removal and re-installation. Removal is pretty straight forward - unscrew the cap/tube and the spring comes flying out. BE SURE TO WEAR EYE PROTECTION - you only get one set of eyes for life.

Getting a long spring back in can be difficult, frustrating, and a wee bit dangerous if the spring suddenly comes flying out. Here's a way to reinstall the spring easier and safer. The dowel I used in the vid is unnecessarily long, but that was the only length the hardware had and I haven't cut it yet - it really doesn't take one nearly so long.

Remember - use eye protection. If a spring flies out, it comes out with authority and it whips around all over the place.

I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I just went thru that very ordeal with my Winchester 1300. Thanks for the tip.

VIP Member
    Nice idea, those springs can teach you a whole new language when you try to reinstall them.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Cool idea. I capture the end of the spring with the extended magazine. ........ Went and got my 1187 and here's the difference, the spring is tighter wound than the Mossy's, so not as long.

Links