Ruger 10/22 scope question

This is a discussion on Ruger 10/22 scope question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got a brand new pink Ruger 10/22 for my wife. I would like to get a scope, rings and mount for it. I am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Ruger 10/22 scope question

VIP Member

I got a brand new pink Ruger 10/22 for my wife. I would like to get a scope, rings and mount for it. I am looking for suggestions.

My 10/22 is set up with the Tech sites. She shoots it well but would like a scope.

I don't want one that is so high off the reciever that she can't maintain a good check weld. Also would like more than 4x, needs to have 1/4 moa adjustments. I would also like a tactical mill dot or cheveron type cross hairs.

Aim Sports had some 6x ones on Ebay for a reasonable price. I don't know anything about them.

Sniper 6 x 32 Mil Dot Scope for Ruger 10 22 UTG Weaver Rail Rings A Complete Kit | eBay
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

At the ranges you shoot at with a 22 any decent 4x scope will work,I have a cheapo 3x9 variable that came with the rings attached to mount to the thinner rail,it is a great scope and only set me back around $20 now my wifes 10/22 has a leupold $200 scope but I had it sitting around and it looked good on her gun
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I put a 4x12-40 Nikon Prostaff on my 10/22 and it has proven to be a good scope for that rifle... People always say that a 4x scope will work, but I like reaching out with my 22 from time to time and a 4x scope won't allow that.. Anyhow, thats my .02 cents worth...
    DMan likes this.

VIP Member
    Sounds to me like you need a nice Swarovski Z6i. You can always swap it out for something more appropriate later!
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Sounds to me like you need a nice Swarovski Z6i. You can always swap it out for something more appropriate later!
    Like a nice Blaser R8?
    TX expat likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

LOL...

I have a 6x18 x 50 bushnell dust to dawn on my 10/22

18x for a 22?
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    I got a brand new pink Ruger 10/22 for my wife. I would like to get a scope, rings and mount for it. I am looking for suggestions.

My 10/22 is set up with the Tech sites. She shoots it well but would like a scope.

I don't want one that is so high off the reciever that she can't maintain a good check weld. Also would like more than 4x, needs to have 1/4 moa adjustments. I would also like a tactical mill dot or cheveron type cross hairs.

Aim Sports had some 6x ones on Ebay for a reasonable price. I don't know anything about them.

Sniper 6 x 32 Mil Dot Scope for Ruger 10 22 UTG Weaver Rail Rings A Complete Kit | eBay
    First off, skip the no-name stuff you see on fleaBay. OpticsPlanet, Cabelas, BassPro are better places to look on-line.

Next - it comes down to what you want to do with the gun. You can get a decent scope for $50 with rings that will serve you well. The Simmons 3-9x32 "22 Mag" scope is decent; I've got 2 of these on 10/22s, one with adjustable objective (AO) and the other without; I really don't think you need it and it's a bother if you're shooting things at random distances. My Simmons scopes included rings.

If you can spend about $125, and you don't mind a large scope, the Mueller APV offers 4.5-14 power and a 40mm objective (bigger objective = more light through the scope, up to a point). If you get a better scope like that, then I'd step up to a B-Square mount and some good rings, like Burris Signature.

Unfortunately, I think you may have a problem with your Tech sights in place. First of all, your rear sight will have to come off, since it uses the same mounting screws (or at least some of them) that the scope base needs. Second, unless you get tall (high) rings, that front Tech sight is going to interfere with your view through the scope. And if you do get high rings, you're working against that good cheek weld you want.

You said you want a mil-dot scope. Realistically, unless you really learn or know how to use a mil-dot, you're better off using "Kentucky windage." There's a lot of real junk out there masquerading as "tactical" with target turret knobs and such. I would steer clear of products from Leapers, NcStar, Hawke Sport, BSA and Barska. Their glass is typically of lesser quality and the reticle adjustments are sloppy and non-repeatable.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I have a Bushnell banner 3x9x40 on my 10/22 and its been working great. I shoot anything close range out to 100 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by cowtownup View Post
    I put a 4x12-40 Nikon Prostaff on my 10/22 and it has proven to be a good scope for that rifle... People always say that a 4x scope will work, but I like reaching out with my 22 from time to time and a 4x scope won't allow that.. Anyhow, thats my .02 cents worth...
    We have the same scope on our 10/22's! They really do work nice on them. Never had an issue and with a good trigger/ammo the accuracy is pretty good out a ways.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Senior Moderator
    I do a lot of .22 work and I don't use anything other than the Nikon Prostaffs.

You get what you pay for. When talking about a scope, that is the absolute truth.
    MrBuckwheat likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I do a lot of .22 work and I don't use anything other than the Nikon Prostaffs.

You get what you pay for. When talking about a scope, that is the absolute truth.
    what power Nikon? I assume 1 inch tube. what are the rings? Low med or high? I am looking for a fixed power that I can mount with the low rings.
    I am also Nikon fan. I am thinking I would like more than 4x but don't need 10x.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rbloodhound View Post
    I have a 6x18 x 50 bushnell dust to dawn on my 10/22

This post is worthless without pics.

Senior Moderator
    A one inch scope with a 3x9 is really all you need for a .22.

I personally dont use the "tip off" mounts. I use a either a Weaver base or a Pictanny rail that screws to the reciever. Its much stronger than the tip offs which I have seen come right off when the rifle was droppe or banged against a tree.

Here is a picture of one of the Nikons mounted on a suppressed CZ 22. This had to have "medium" scope mounts for the bell to clear the barrel.

MrBuckwheat likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links