Build and AR-15?

Build and AR-15?

This is a discussion on Build and AR-15? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So on another forum I'm on (sports forum), I mentioned that I'd love to buy an AR-15, but good luck finding one and buying it ...

Thread: Build and AR-15?

Build and AR-15?

So on another forum I'm on (sports forum), I mentioned that I'd love to buy an AR-15, but good luck finding one and buying it for anything that isn't exorbitantly overpriced.

Someone else mentioned that I could just as easily by the upper, lower, and whatever else, and basically build my own AR-15. I like the idea, but I have to wonder if (1) is this really feasible? (2) is it legal to build from scratch like that? and (3) just how much of a headache am I asking for if I try it.

Anyone with answers?

Yep, you can do it and they are legal. People do it all the time. Good luck finding a reasonably priced lower though.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Yep, you can do it and they are legal. People do it all the time. Good luck finding a reasonably priced lower though.
    Ahh, so THAT's the catch! Would it make sense to buy a stripped lower and then buy a rebuild kit for it?

Good luck finding a rifle kit that isn't backordered at least 6 months.Back when things weren't insane you could get a lower receiver (The Registered Gun) for under $100 shipped.Then most rifle kits will run around $500 so you could essentially build a gun for around $600 then you gotta get sights and mags
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sponsor
    It's not really a "re-build" kit. You'd want a lower parts kit w/pistol grip, lower receiver extension, buffer, buffer spring and butt stock. The real problem is going to be finding a lower receiver stripped or complete at anything resembling a good price right now.

It's really arguable as to whether or not there is any "cost" savings in "Building" an AR. You can certainly get a rifle tailored to your needs or wants at a good price if you are willing to do your research and you may even save a few dollars if you wait for sales and aren't concerned with a speedy build. For me, it's more about the satisfaction of doing something myself. My first AR was purchased as a complete upper, stripped lower and a box of parts. The next was a mass of pieces/parts and an "I Do It!" attitude.

BTW, you could actually make/mill/fabricate your own lower receiver legally. You just can't sell/transfer it without the proper federal license.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Build and AR-15?

As noted, your biggest hurdle is going to be finding a lower right now. Down here in FL, you are far more likely to find a full AR than just a lower. Wen the ban talks started, all the lowers were gone. People may use them for future builds even after a ban.

Custom Kydex holsters, mag pouches, and accessories.
    www.armatuscarry.com
    www.Facebook.com/armatuscarry
    Armatus Carry Solutions: Custom Kydex Holsters, mag pouches, and accessories.

One can find all the parts needed, with a little research and patience one can get them all in a few weeks. However regardless of what you get and where you get it, right now it will cost very close to the same as an assembled gun.

Here is a place to start: http://kb-mfg.com/index.php?main_pag...products_id=37
    They have kits that include everything but the lower, which is the part that needs an FFL shipping point.
    Last edited by dV8r; February 13th, 2013 at 02:14 PM.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

BAC
    You can build a firearm completely from scratch, down to fabricating the components if you so choose. Starting from nothing, I advise against trying to assemble your own upper; that has not been a cost-savings proposition for a nearly a decade now and requires some tools many people do not have (vice, torque wrenches, etc.). Buy it assembled, or buy the parts and have someone else assemble them.
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Parts of all type come and go right now. no idea when that will change if ever. I came across a stripped new upper receiver. I had barrel , lower and all the parts, rogers stock and all the receiver parts for a Colt
    They were from other Colts that I had changed out parts for one reason or another . Daughter had wanted another AR to use with iron sites so I assembled it yesterday.All the functioning parts are Colt new The free float forearm was still in a box so I used it also. Daughter shot it this morning ,she is happy with it . Not really a build more like putting the puzzle together. Long as she stays Iron sites I will leave the Standard F gas block on.
    .AmandanewC.JPG

Sponsored Links