Want a better shotgun forend

This is a discussion on Want a better shotgun forend within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I have been doing a lot of thinking lately, and have come to the conclusion that I would be more than comfortable with a ...

Thread: Want a better shotgun forend

Want a better shotgun forend

So I have been doing a lot of thinking lately, and have come to the conclusion that I would be more than comfortable with a shotgun as my primary defensive long gun. Even if/when I can afford an AR or AK variant.

Right now I have a stock Mossberg 500 with the 18.5" barrel. The only complaint I have is the forend. I have a difficult time getting a good grip and indexing on it, under stressI can easily see short stroking being an issue. What I am looking for is either a better forend, or a forend with rails to mount some hardware onto (like the magpul afg). Anyone have any ideas that could help me out?

I am willing to buy quality, but dont see the reasoning behind putting a 250$ surefire forend on a 200$ gun. Thanks as always.

Xtra

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xtramile View Post
    So I have been doing a lot of thinking lately, and have come to the conclusion that I would be more than comfortable with a shotgun as my primary defensive long gun. Even if/when I can afford an AR or AK variant.

Right now I have a stock Mossberg 500 with the 18.5" barrel. The only complaint I have is the forend. I have a difficult time getting a good grip and indexing on it, under stress I can easily see short stroking being an issue. What I am looking for is either a better forend, or a forend with rails to mount some hardware onto (like the magpul afg). Anyone have any ideas that could help me out?

I am willing to buy quality, but dont see the reasoning behind putting a 250$ surefire forend on a 200$ gun. Thanks as always.

Xtra

The surefire forend is the best way to mount a light to your shotgun so if that is in the plans don't dismiss it. Otherwise, Hogue, ATI and many others make great forends. I personally do not like the railed forends. They feel awful fat to me.

If your current forend is plastic you can stipple it like I did mine for a better grip and no cost.

“I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I dont think mine would work to stipple it. plastic is too thin and it is pretty long too.

Thay have some forends and the pawn shop in town by a company called Mako I think. they did not look too bad, but they drive prices pretty high.

I am liking the magpul stuff, however there are virtually no videos or reviews or installation info for the 500 anywhere. And just a moment ago I found out that of the 3 types of forends that mossberg makes, I have the most difficult kind to replace ( the rails that go into the receiver are permanently molded into the forend)

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    I am liking the magpul stuff, however there are virtually no videos or reviews or installation info for the 500 anywhere. And just a moment ago I found out that of the 3 types of forends that mossberg makes, I have the most difficult kind to replace ( the rails that go into the receiver are permanently molded into the forend)
    Since the Magpul parts have not come to the market yet, it's no surprise that there is no detailed info available.Given the normal high quality of their products, I'm certain they will have done the engineering to make the parts install, fit and function correctly.

With the current magazine situation, I wouldn't be surprised if the release is delayed. I can wait.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Magpul has said that mag production won't affect otherproducts. If you have any questions they have great customer service.

Personally I'd just go with the replacement fore end from Surefire with the light integrally built into the unit. Get the model that has both "momentary" and constant "on and off" buttons. Not sure which model that is.

I currently run that light/foreend on an older Police model 870.

You won't regret it.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

So does anyone know where to order the metal tube with rails that is the base for aftermarket forends? Like I said I have the forend that has the rails molded in permanently, and could not even put any new hardware on without that base.

For grip, you can't beat a vertical grip. My 870 has a foregrip with a rail on the bottom and the Tapco Shorty VFG. It works well for me. Wet, sweaty, or bloody hands with out without gloves...no problem.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

for whatever reason a vertical grip does not seem like it would be comfortable. granted I have never held one, so I cannot speak from experience. Anyone else use one on their pump?

Well, I have a vertical grip on my Mossberg 590. It is mounted on a Surefire "tri-rail" forend, which also has a VTAC light mount on it. Functionally, this makes it identical to my AR. I believe the vertical grip allows for greater recoil control and more positive pumping action. Plus it makes pumping it one handed easier, should you be required to do so.
    "Hell is truth seen too late."

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    When I was younger I had problems short stroking my shotgun... I didn't know all I had to do was replace the forend!

BUMP:

did not want to make a whole other thread just to re-as, does anyone know where I can get the mossberg 500 forend slide tube? The only place I have even seen them is midwayusa and they have them listed as back ordered.

Links