Help: I don't know a dang thing about scopes, but I want one for my Marlin Model 60

This is a discussion on Help: I don't know a dang thing about scopes, but I want one for my Marlin Model 60 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've a Marlin Model 60 and for years I've just used the trust old iron sights on it. I'm decent with it up to 100 ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By Tally XD

Thread: Help: I don't know a dang thing about scopes, but I want one for my Marlin Model 60

Help: I don't know a dang thing about scopes, but I want one for my Marlin Model 60

I've a Marlin Model 60 and for years I've just used the trust old iron sights on it. I'm decent with it up to 100 yards on a clear day, but I want me a scope now.

Thing is, I don't know anything about scopes. Never even used one.

What would you recommend as a good first scope? I don't need it to be fancy or expensive. I know scopes range in price, but if we can keep it under $60, that'd be nice.

Thanks, all!
    Last edited by skatalite; February 16th, 2013 at 04:07 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Keep it simple, keep the cost in line with the value of the gun.

A pretty decent scope is the Simmons "22 mag" line, with variable power (3-9x) and a 32mm objective. With rings, it'll run you around $50. I've got a pair of these on 10/22s and for everyday use, they're perfectly adequate. Price-wise you can go up or down, but this one is a good compromise. I got mine from Optics Planet, who also offers some good introductory info about choosing and using a scope here: How to Choose a Rifle Scope - Riflescope Experts Guide to Firearm Optics - Rifle Scope Selection Tips
    Cory1022 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I have the Marlin Model 60 as well and I just use the Bushnell scope from Wal-Mart for about $40.00. Has been a tack driver for me and has held zero for months since the install.
    Stevew likes this.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    I have the Marlin Model 60 as well and I just use the Bushnell scope from Wal-Mart for about $40.00. Has been a tack driver for me and has held zero for months since the install.
    I second this recommendation.

I have been very pleased with that same scope on my 60. Getting the right eye relief takes some trial and error. Once you know where that spot is then secure it a bit more permanently. It would walk and loosen more than I would have liked, so I put some blue LocTite on both the screw threads, as well as slightly under where the mount attaches and it's been solid since.

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Concur. If you are using it for plinking that's all you need and spending more money will not give you any advantage.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I too have a marlin model 60 and I love it. I have used a simmons 4x scope for years on it and it has worked superb. No fussing around, just point and shoot. A 3x9 would be great too.... I have one on my .17 hmr
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Since you say you have never even used a scope then here are some excellent knowledge base videos from MidWay USA.

For a plinker .22LR you may not want to go to this level of accurizing but the knowledge can't hurt!

How to Properly Mount a Scope - MidwayUSA

A Basic Introduction to Rifle Scope Reticles and Their Uses - MidwayUSA

Leveling the Crosshairs - MidwayUSA

How to Choose the Right Scope, Rings and Bases - MidwayUSA

How to Lap Scope Rings - MidwayUSA
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”

OP, thanks for the thread. I'm in the same boat. Just picked up a lever .22 that I may want to put a scope on. Lots of good info so far in this one. Thanks guys

Thanks, everyone! Based on recommendations I've narrowed it to these three:

Amazon.com: Tasco Rimfire 3-7x 20mm 30/30 Reticle Riflescope: Sports & Outdoors

Bushnell 4 x 32 Multi-X Rimfire Scope, Black Matte: Hunting : Walmart.com

Amazon.com: Simmons Truplex .22 Mag Riflescope (3-9X32, Matte): Sports & Outdoors

I'm thinking the Simmons because I've read the most positive reviews on it. What do you all think?

Help: I don't know a dang thing about scopes, but I want one for my Marlin Mode

Bushnell on my 22 and works fine and only rezero every 6 months. It's a great cheap scope that honestly is very tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by skatalite View Post
    Thanks, everyone! Based on recommendations I've narrowed it to these three:

Amazon.com: Tasco Rimfire 3-7x 20mm 30/30 Reticle Riflescope: Sports & Outdoors

Bushnell 4 x 32 Multi-X Rimfire Scope, Black Matte: Hunting : Walmart.com

Amazon.com: Simmons Truplex .22 Mag Riflescope (3-9X32, Matte): Sports & Outdoors

I'm thinking the Simmons because I've read the most positive reviews on it. What do you all think?
    I think Tasco is a house product from BSA or Bushnell. I would take either the Bushnell or the Simmons.

Thanks, all! Looks like the Simmons will be put on my Marlin. Cheers!

Links