Question: tactical rifle with a twist

This is a discussion on Question: tactical rifle with a twist within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My twist is that I'm a lefty and not very many tactical/coyote rifles can be had left handed. My ideal rifle is the MVP (or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Question: tactical rifle with a twist

VIP Member

My twist is that I'm a lefty and not very many tactical/coyote rifles can be had left handed. My ideal rifle is the MVP (or similar) with the 20 inch barrel but they don't make a left handed model.

So here is my question: What are the pros/cons of getting a RH rifle? I know that when on a bi pod I can run the bolt with my right hand fairly easily. I can also load it easier with my off hand. Are there any other pros? What are the cons?

Are there any good .223 bolt rifles out there in left hand? I'd like a 1 in 9 twist or 1 in 8 for heavier bullets and a 22in barrel at the absolute longest.

This is a thread about bolt guns so the first person who tells me to buy an AR goes on my ignore list : )
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

You can get a LH Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .223. 22" barrel, 1:9 twist. Also, I'd consider a Ruger No. 1 Light Sporter. It's a single shot rifle but I've watched my uncle cycle it as most guys do a bolt action. He's left handed and chose the No. 1 because it's falling block design can be operated the same left or right handed.

Learn to shoot right handed? ;o)

Seriously, Savage makes a couple of LH models. There are a couple of bolt action .223 and a bolt action .300 Win Mag that I know of and there may be others. Now that I think about most of the manufacturers have various LH models available nowadays. Poke around on their various sites and you'll find them with a little digging. I would say that NCSoxFan's recommendation of the M77 is one of the better ones but I'm partial to Ruger.

I'm left handed and every rifle I own, including my AR's are right handed. I shoot them all left handed. I can shoot and cycle the bolt and get back on target just as quick as RH person. I've been shooting since I was 4-5 YO, and it had never occurred to me that there was such a thing as a left handed rifle until I saw one at a gun show. Still not sure why I'd need one... but, YMMV :)
    Hopyard likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    My twist is that I'm a lefty and not very many tactical/coyote rifles can be had left handed. My ideal rifle is the MVP (or similar) with the 20 inch barrel but they don't make a left handed model.

So here is my question: What are the pros/cons of getting a RH rifle? I know that when on a bi pod I can run the bolt with my right hand fairly easily. I can also load it easier with my off hand. Are there any other pros? What are the cons?

Are there any good .223 bolt rifles out there in left hand? I'd like a 1 in 9 twist or 1 in 8 for heavier bullets and a 22in barrel at the absolute longest.

This is a thread about bolt guns so the first person who tells me to buy an AR goes on my ignore list : )
    I shoot rifles and shotguns lefty. I can't speak to your specific needs but I've certainly shot bolt action rifles lefty even though the gun was designed for a right handed shooter. Good luck finding what you need.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Maybe check out Tikka T-3 Lite? I believe you can get one with a 1 in 8 twist and left hand version in .223. 22.4" barrel in the Lite version. I assume you can in the other models also.... The "tac", "super varmint", or "varmint" models may offer what fit your want/needs better....

Good luck in your quest and may you have many wonderful days of enjoyment in whatever you choose.
    Last edited by Rawah; February 19th, 2013 at 12:39 AM.

Lead Moderator
    As a lefty I have shot many RH bolt guns. While I can do it ,my most preferred bolt gun is a lefty Browning A bolt. Faster follow up shots if needed and stronger action near my face make a lefty bolt gun my choice. (Or get an AR, sorry just had to add that )
    atctimmy likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Stag Arms makes left handed rifles.

Stag Arms - Worldwide Leader In AR Manufacturing
    SIGguy229 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJVP View Post
    Stag Arms makes left handed rifles.

Stag Arms - Worldwide Leader In AR Manufacturing
    Aaaaand they're all ARs. Good job champ.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

That's a tough order to fill! The Ruger Hawkeye looks to be as close as you can get right out of the box. I know Remington makes their 700 in a few LH versions and their SPS comes close, but the barrel is 26" and the twist is really slow, 1:12. If it wasn't for that pokey twist, I'd say get that gun and have a gunsmith shorten and re-crown the barrel. That couldn't be all that expensive.

Might be time to look around for some used left-hand short actions, then get the barrel you want. It'll end up costing more than a stock gun, but it'll be what you want...
    atctimmy likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    That's a tough order to fill! The Ruger Hawkeye looks to be as close as you can get right out of the box. I know Remington makes their 700 in a few LH versions and their SPS comes close, but the barrel is 26" and the twist is really slow, 1:12. If it wasn't for that pokey twist, I'd say get that gun and have a gunsmith shorten and re-crown the barrel. That couldn't be all that expensive.

Might be time to look around for some used left-hand short actions, then get the barrel you want. It'll end up costing more than a stock gun, but it'll be what you want...
    I love Browning products so I'll look at them a little more but I was thinking that I may just need to build one. Savage is making one with a threaded 24 inch barrel in a 1 in 9 twist that is interesting to me but I'm just not a huge Savage fan. I guess I'll just keep looking for now.

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Aaaaand they're all ARs. Good job champ.
    Now that's funny! LOL.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I know you inquired about LH .223 rifles, but have you looked at/fondled the Ruger GunSite Scout in 7.62? It comes as a LH model too, and to me, seems like the perfect rifle for your needs. More effective round IMHO, and a nice little package. It WILL be my next rifle, but in a RH model.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    I know you inquired about LH .223 rifles, but have you looked at/fondled the Ruger GunSite Scout in 7.62? It comes as a LH model too, and to me, seems like the perfect rifle for your needs. More effective round IMHO, and a nice little package. It WILL be my next rifle, but in a RH model.
    I already have a nice Remington 700 in .308. The new rifles primary use will be woodchucks and the occasional coyote. I had a really nice DM style AR that I sold last year that was my woodchuck killer. I'm using a .22 for now but I want something with a little more zip for longer shots.

The other reason is economics. I have thousands of .223 on hand. This rifle isn't a real "need" per say, it's just a gun to fill a niche. I could live without it or I could just get another AR but I hate spending $1200 when a $400 rifle will do the trick.
    KBSR likes this.

Administrator
    I knew that your LEFT didn't stop at government and politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I shoot rifles and shotguns lefty. I can't speak to your specific needs but I've certainly shot bolt action rifles lefty even though the gun was designed for a right handed shooter. Good luck finding what you need.
    bmcgilvray and atctimmy like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Maybe....you could get another AR?

I know a few guys that run bolt guns left handed. No big deal, they just work around it. the other thing, you already have bolt guns you said. If they're right handed, I'd certainly not mix things up with a lone left handed rifle.
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links