Ruger scout rifle ?

Ruger scout rifle ?

This is a discussion on Ruger scout rifle ? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ruger Scout rifle, would like to know who has one and their thoughts of how they perform. I believe they have a 16 1/2 inch ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By atctimmy
  • 1 Post By atctimmy
  • 2 Post By Echo_Four
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker

Thread: Ruger scout rifle ?

Ruger scout rifle ?

Ruger Scout rifle, would like to know who has one and their thoughts of how they perform. I believe they have a 16 1/2 inch barrel and they now have an 18 inch barrel . I would like to know the accuracy out to 100 and 200 yards, and the overall performance of the rifle, and I think you can use magazines from a M1A is that true. If you were going to be looking for a rifle and not have access to a semi automatic rifle would this be a good choice, given you large magazine capability, reasonable accuracy out to 100 yards, and quality and dependability. If you didn't have access to a quality semi automatic rifle would this be the rifle of choice if something hit the fan. Would the accuracy of this rifle be equal to using an AR 15 carbine or using an M1A Scout rifle.

I don't have one but I don't think this is true, unless there were mods I didn't here about.

and I think you can use magazines from a M1A is that true.
    I've handled the rifle, I liked it a lot. I think the accuracy would be AR15/M1A accurate or there abouts.

No, you can't use M1A mags with it. Accuracy with the free floating barrel and match ammo is anywhere from 1.5 MOA to sub-MOA, depending on who is doing the shooting.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

VIP Member
    Mags are proprietary.

It's a bolt action .308. There are a gazillion companies making bolt action .308s. The only thing Ruger did was market a bolt gun as a tacticool rifle and give it a flash hider.

I've got news for you. The idea isn't new. I bought a Lee Enfield chambered in .308 about 15 years ago for $86. It had a 10 round detachable magazine and it shot...wait for it...just like a bolt gun. I took a couple of deer with it and then gave it to a friend who was down on his luck. He used it to feed his family.

Save your money.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=382415176
    Gearhead and WHEC724 like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    WHEC724 likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I put a leupold 1-4x20 on my Ruger Scout. Sand bagged it will shoot sub MOA. Mines the 16.5" barrel. If I am not mistaken the 18" barrel is only available in stainless. Extra mags are not cheap but there is some polymer mags on the market that are cheaper. The rifle is fast and easy to handle. Recoil is very manageable with the thick recoil pad. I have seen them from almost black to very light in color. If that matters to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    The scout is a little more than just a bolt gun with a flash hider. It stems from Cooper's notion of the perfect rifle. In the end his perfect rifle is a light 308 with a forward mounted optic and a ching sling. Nothing you can't do with an Enfield or Mosin. Theirs is just a little prettier and newer.
    atctimmy and WHEC724 like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Well, if your not looking to haul an old relic around, while it's a little pricey, the Scout is a pretty handy rifle.

I have a Remington 700 target rifle that is a really (really) nice shooter. Hunting is not a major part of my shooting hobby, but my Remington is a bit on the heavy side to haul around in the woods and to shoot off hand while contorting your body in a tree stand.

So I started looking for something lighter and more handy in the thick brush and woods where I hunt, but also to be a good 'all purpose' rifle.

I bought my Scout two years ago. For deer hunting and walking in the woods it is a really handy little rifle.
    One of the guys I hunt with has an Enfield (and a Mosin) and he chided me when I showed up with the Ruger (as he does over any rifle that cost more that $300). This year, he dropped his rifle out of a tree stand the opening weekend, and since I wasn't going to be coming out after the first weekend he borrowed the Scout from me. His tune has changed BIG TIME. He shot a nice medium size buck and a doe with it, and while he still scoffs at the price (he lives by doing odd jobs for cash) he is now totally smitten with the Ruger.

The scout (mine has a 16.5" blue barrel) is light and easy to carry. It is a handy length for in tight woods.
    Accuracy is quite decent. With cheap Federal 180 grain ammo from Walmart mine will shoot 1" to 1.25" at 100 yards from a bench with a Harris bipod. With decent, but still cheap Hornady 168gr hunting ammo it is pretty solid at an inch.
    I would gladly trade mine for the 18" stainless model, mostly for the stainless.
    I have shot three deer with it between 95 and 130 yards, and four coyote's at about the same distances. They all had holes in em right where I expected them to be.

I have opened the barrel channel up slightly in mine to ensure the float. I have never shot mine with the iron sights, nor have I used a forward mounted scope on it. I had a Nikon Monarch 3-12x42 on it last year, and now it's wearing a Nikon Buckmaster 3.5-14x40 which work well for the way I use it.

The adjustable length of pull is a MAJOR plus for me. I have short arms and use one spacer in the summer time, and no spacer in the winter with heavier clothes. It was a major plus when my friend could add three spacers and have it fit him just right. On my Remington I had to cut down my H&S Precision stock which limits it's use for others or resale.

The trigger was very good for a stock setup at 4lbs even, but it had a bit of creep in it. I use a Jewell in my Remington, and Kidd triggers in my 10/22's, so I wanted something a little better. I put a Timney trigger in, set at 2lbs 10 oz, and it is a nice crisp setup.

My only real gripe is that the bolt is kind of sloppy compared to my Remington. It's not a deal breaker, but it's what bothers me the most.

I have several of the Ruger poly mags, and a couple of the metal ones. I think the metal ones function better. Alpha makes a mag that's probably better than the stock one. I didn't see these till after I bought two stock metal mags (which I got on ebay new in the packaging for $39 each shipped).http://www.alphaindmfg.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=18&product_id=56

I have property in a remote area in Northern Wi where the nearest gas station is a 12 mile drive away. There have been several cases of clandestine pot growing operations by armed Mexican nationals being busted every year for several years now in that county and the one south of it (sometimes life is stranger than fiction or the movies). I am right on the edge of a 6,000 acre state forest. I take the GSR with me and keep it handy when ever I go up there in case of unwanted visitors of the furry black bear kind or otherwise (the 'otherwise' are also why I have several extra mags for it).

So to answer the OP's question, Yes, in my experience it pretty much fits the bill for what you asked and then some. It's maybe not as convenient as an AR, but has better knock down ability and is more functional for medium-large game hunting at longer distances.
    NRA Life Member

Accuracy = MOA (or better) with factory loads.
    Performance = based on the Ruger 77. No complaints here.
    Proprietary mags
    You didn't mention any budgetary concerns, so we do't know which way to go with alternative suggestions.
    You use SHTF scenarios, no semi-autos, why not a Win 94 30-30 (pre safety) with a scout scope? The new Hornady LEVERevolution ammo makes 200 yards a cakewalk.
    Yetiman likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    why not a Win 94 30-30 (pre safety) with a scout scope? The new Hornady LEVERevolution ammo makes 200 yards a cakewalk.
    I have never had a lever action myself, but for a general purpose rifle like this a 30-30 is also a VERY handy rifle to have around ! That is a great alternative.
    NRA Life Member

Links