What kind of rifle should we get?

This is a discussion on What kind of rifle should we get? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My husband and I have several handguns and a shotgun. We want to get a rifle or two but don't want to make a mistake. ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: What kind of rifle should we get?

Distinguished Member

What kind of rifle should we get?

My husband and I have several handguns and a shotgun. We want to get a rifle or two but don't want to make a mistake.

Is there a particular brand that is generally considered good and reliable?

Also, is there a particular brand that we should steer clear of?

We could spend up to about $400 on them. Is that a reasonable price? Can you get a good one for that or should we consider going higher? ( I know there's probably rifles out there for thousands of dollars but I'm not sure we need anything that expensive).We'd rather spend a little more if we have to and get something good than buy something cheaper and wish we had waited. Just don't want to break the bank, know what I mean?
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    What are you going to use it for?

Home defense, hunting, plinking?
    atctimmy and oneshot like this.

... a Marlin .30-.30 pre-2000 would be in that price range around here...don't know about WVa market...I'd check pawn and used...

...if you go new, I'd pay more and get a Henry...their quality is very high...

...if you're looking for a .22...a Marlin Model 60 or Ruger 10/22 are excellent choices...as are the Henrys in that caliber..
    carracer likes this.

NMB
    We need more info before making a recommendation.

What will the rifle be used for.
    atctimmy likes this.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    What are you going to use it for?

Home defense, hunting, plinking?
    Home defense mainly but we'd be practicing a lot, so plinking too.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ... a Marlin .30-.30 pre-2000 would be in that price range around here...don't know about WVa market...I'd check pawn and used...

...if you go used, I'd pay more and get a Henry...their quality is very high...

...if you're looking for a .22...a Marlin Model 60 or Ruger 10/22 are excellent choices...as are the Henrys in that caliber..
    Is a .22 good for home defense? If not, what would be better?

We live within 5 miles of Maryland and 15 miles of Virginia and Pennsylvania, so we can go lots of places to look.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

25 rounds of .22 from a Ruger 10/22 would probably be enough to convince any bad guy to go somewhere else.

A gun is always better than no gun , regardless of caliber. And yes I keep my Marlin Model 60 .22 LR loaded just in case. If you decide to go with the .22 LR, the MArlin model 60 is hard to beat...lightweight, maneuverable, very accurate and dependable. It is slow to reload as it is tube fed but it holds 15 rnds or so. The 10/22 is another great rifle, is highly customizable, accurate dependable and uses a rotary box magazine. An interesting combo would be a 10/22 and a ruger 44 mag semi auto carbine, but you would have to find one used. The 44 mag carbine would be a good HD rifle, its short, fairly light, manueverable, accurate and packs some heat with mild recoil.
    Snub44 and oneshot like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

...it hasn't got much stopping power compared to a centerfire rifle...but has been used successfully many times...the lack of recoil makes it easy to be accurate with...with a 25-rd mag and proper hollow point ammo it will do the job if you apply it liberally...some big-city police depts used it as an urban sniper rifle...if we can place the shot...it will stop...I saw more men killed by .22 short than by .357...

...if only for home defense, a Marlin or Henry in .357/38 or .44Mag/Spl would be a more potent choice...with the Henry getting the first choice...Marlin, since 2000, has had a steady string of QC problems...they used to be a lot better...the older ones are to be preferred...

...with modern soft point or hollow point ammo, the M1 carbine is also excellent....30 cal. is similar in power to the .357...a friend just bought a new Kahr/Auto Ordinance one...

...with my son using it...he'd need a ride...and six to carry him...

Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    25 rounds of .22 from a Ruger 10/22 would probably be enough to convince any bad guy to go somewhere else.

...I totally forgot the Ruger .44...an excellent choice...also made in a levergun for awhile...both are compact and easy to use, no matter the size and strength of the user...just a bit hard to find used...

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    A gun is always better than no gun , regardless of caliber. And yes I keep my Marlin Model 60 .22 LR loaded just in case. If you decide to go with the .22 LR, the MArlin model 60 is hard to beat...lightweight, maneuverable, very accurate and dependable. It is slow to reload as it is tube fed but it holds 15 rnds or so. The 10/22 is another great rifle, is highly customizable, accurate dependable and uses a rotary box magazine. An interesting combo would be a 10/22 and a ruger 44 mag semi auto carbine, but you would have to find one used. The 44 mag carbine would be a good HD rifle, its short, fairly light, manueverable, accurate and packs some heat with mild recoil.

Distinguished Member
    Thanks for the replies! I'm writing down the names and specifics to shop with.

Ques: when you say, "10/22" what does the "10" mean? I know (at least I think I know) the 22 is the .22 calibre.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Thanks for the replies! I'm writing down the names and specifics to shop with.

Ques: when you say, "10/22" what does the "10" mean? I know (at least I think I know) the 22 is the .22 calibre.
    A 10/22 is a Ruger model 10/22. I suppose the '10' means 10 rounds.

I've had plenty of duds with .22LR ammo, so I wouldn't choose it for defensive purposes. It is cheap and fun to shoot though...

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    A 10/22 is a Ruger model 10/22. I suppose the '10' means 10 rounds.

I've had plenty of duds with .22LR ammo, so I wouldn't choose it for defensive purposes. It is cheap and fun to shoot though...
    Oh, ok...makes sense. Is Rugar the only one who makes that 10/22 or do other companies?

...it's Ruger's trademarked name for that model rifle...closest I've seen in size was a Marlin with tube feed years ago...no other company can make the Ruger rotary magazine since it's trademarked...or patented...or both...

...one more thing and I'm off to lunch..........Lays' Potato Chips come to mind here...
    Jeanlouise and NONAME762 like this.

If you decide to go with a ruger 10/22 or marlin model 60...... only use High quality ammunition if you are using it for home defense. I prefer CCI Stingers. They function all my guns very well, but they are on the higher priced end, 10 ish for 100 rnds, but well worth it. I would be ok with either. Marlin also makes some other semi auto magazine fed rifles that are fantastic. ( Marlin 795SS,795,) If you question the accuarcy of marlin rifles, there 22 rifles use a micro groove rifling designed for the 22 lr. How accurate is it.... I use a Model 25N bolt action That was my first rifle to shoot indoor competition to this day.... many a squirrel has made its way to my crockpot courtesy of it.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links