Deposit on Savage 110BA 308 any thoughts?

This is a discussion on Deposit on Savage 110BA 308 any thoughts? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Today I put a deposit down on the 110/BA while my permit in CT is going on 5 weeks. From what I read the reviews ...

Thread: Deposit on Savage 110BA 308 any thoughts?

Today I put a deposit down on the 110/BA while my permit in CT is going on 5 weeks. From what I read the reviews are all over the place. Seems like most issues revolve around the ammo. Any suggestions on a scope and bipod? Thanks !

2. Remove Ads

Good pick. I LOVE the Savage accutrigger.
    Armatus Carry Solutions: Custom Kydex Holsters, mag pouches, and accessories.

VIP Member
    Harris bi pod, The scope gets a little more involved. How far away will your target be, do you want a fixed power or variable power scope, do you have a budget? You will need a mount and rings also.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

From what I have found the 110 platform is great. I actually have one on hold for me at the lgs chambered in 30-06 that I am going to pick up Monday. I think savage is by far the best "bang" for the buck when it comes to bolt actions. (with the exception of the axis/edge accurate but not dependable)

As for scope and bipod; I would go with a nikon scope either a prostaff or a buckmasters. I hate bipods so I am not much help there but I have been eyeballing the caldwell deadshot.

I'm really a fish out of water here. So, I need recommendations as if I know nothing.... Which is almost the case. With all the changes and laws up in the air, I feel very rushed on the guns/rifles on the way. So, with some help from you guys, local gun shops and my friends who shoot or on the job, I'm trying to secure the top few guns I like/want. The savage just came from reading about 10 different magazines and looking online. It seemed like a great rifle that I could build on. That being said... It cost a few bucks, so I'd like to keep it pretty high quality stuff. The shop said the glass should cost almost what the gun did. If that's the case, all in it was $2300. So, I guess the question is... How would you guys build the gun if it was yours. Probably shooting in the 100yd range or the longest distance I can get at a range or property in CT. I would like to have this my new hobby/obsession and good as good as I can. That's for your help!

Good glass will cost $1,000.00 range Signtron
    Great glass Nightforce $1,500.00-$2,500.00
    It's all in what you want to spend?
    Signtron is great glass that I use.
    However,Nightforce is the best

PSE EVO 60 Lbs.
    Blacked out

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul226 View Post
    I'm really a fish out of water here. So, I need recommendations as if I know nothing.... Which is almost the case. With all the changes and laws up in the air, I feel very rushed on the guns/rifles on the way. So, with some help from you guys, local gun shops and my friends who shoot or on the job, I'm trying to secure the top few guns I like/want. The savage just came from reading about 10 different magazines and looking online. It seemed like a great rifle that I could build on. That being said... It cost a few bucks, so I'd like to keep it pretty high quality stuff. The shop said the glass should cost almost what the gun did. If that's the case, all in it was $2300. So, I guess the question is... How would you guys build the gun if it was yours. Probably shooting in the 100yd range or the longest distance I can get at a range or property in CT. I would like to have this my new hobby/obsession and good as good as I can. That's for your help!
    Honestly, if you bought a $2300 rifle to shoot to 100 yards you are crazy. At 100yds you could put a $75 wallymart scope on it and drill little bulls eyes all day long.

You need to regroup and re-focus on reality. $2300 + another big chunk of money for glass to shoot 100yds? You are just throwing money out the window in big chunks.

You are going to have some serious buyers remorse when it's time to buy a house or a new car. Two years from now you are going to sell this rifle for 1/3 of what it's worth.

If you can stop your order I urge you to do it now and get something less expensive, maybe around $1K. That would give you a large chunk of change to spend on glass.

This:
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...y+Fluted+Barre

+ this:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-...fle-scope.html

would be a winner.

What you have done is gone out and bought the equivalent of a new McLaren MP4-12C just to learn how to drive. You need to start smaller and learn. You could actually ruin your rifle with lack of knowledge.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

You should have just bought a boat.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've never had a Bushnel scope fail me in all my hunting years. The deer, moose, caribou and 300 yard-away rockchucks never knew the name brand of the crosshairs they were in. They just fell dead.

Are there "better" scopes? Probably. More expensive scopes? Definitely. It's more a question of what serves your purposes than the price tag.

And Savage is a very often overlooked name brand that deserves more recognition.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links