Need Scope Advice

This is a discussion on Need Scope Advice within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Rifle = Savage 111XP Scope = Nikon 3x9x50 BDC Included photo shows my problem. Description: The forward scope mount is not seated. The scope rings ...

Thread: Need Scope Advice

Senior Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar

Need Scope Advice

Rifle = Savage 111XP
    Scope = Nikon 3x9x50 BDC

Included photo shows my problem.

Description: The forward scope mount is not seated. The scope rings are at their extremes (both ends) and can not go further. Photo shows the scope position not quite at it's full range before making contact where the objective lens begins to flare.

The forward mounting plate where I indicate "Not Seated" is how mine looks.
    I based on the size of the mounting plate, screw positions, I can not see any way to even modify this mount for the Prostaff 50mm.

Someone mentioned (Millett Offset Rings)

Any other ideas out there?
    Attached Images
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

2. Remove Ads

Looks like your gun and that size lens doesn't allow for the scope to come close enough to the gun to support that height of rings/mount. If you had the same scope with a 40mm lens or taller mounts instead, would it fit, do you think?

Nothing says every maxi-sized lens is going to fit on all firearms.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'll find out today.
    Heading to Gander mountain to try other scopes and possibly alternate mounting systems.
    Very frustrating as I like the Prostaff 50mm.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do you need taller mounts?
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

There are some scopes out there that have a curved base to the objective lens area, such as the Leupold VX3L 4.5-14x56mm, which one way to keep the larger lens but still accommodate a lower mounting height:

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    May need two different ring heights. Common with some Ruger rifles, don't know about the Savage.

Another option would be a picitinny rail adapter that would effectively raise both mounting surfaces.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    These may may or may not work for your set up. I use this similar set of rings on my Varmint AR15 to raise the scope. It works for my situation. Not sure what your tube dia is.

Cabela's: Leupold® Ruger 30mm M77 Rings - Matte

Or these appear to be matched to your rifle. MidwayUSA.

363684.jpg
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Taller rings is the simple solution.

I'm fond of Burris rings (Signature and Zee lines)... go check the fitment chart on their web site: Burris Mount Fit Information The chart suggests you need high rings for your 50 mm scope.

The major optics retailers (Optics Planet, SWFA as well as Cabelas and Gander Mountian) carry a lot of Burris rings - shouldn't be a big problem getting them. There are other ring sources as well (Weaver, Leupold), I just find Burris has a very broad range.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    There are some scopes out there that have a curved base to the objective lens area, such as the Leupold VX3L 4.5-14x56mm, which one way to keep the larger lens but still accommodate a lower mounting height:

Yep!
    Also Talley makes extra high one piece and two piece mounts and rings for that rifle with a height of .810 for larger bell scopes.
    Talley Lightweight One-Piece Alloy Scope Mounts

Re: Need Scope Advice

Like others have stated, you need the correct ring height to accommodate the large objective lens.

Other mounting options that would help after that would be a one piece, bedded base. Perhaps a base with a built in 15-20 MOA angle.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Thanks all.
    I guess I didn't communicate my problem well.

Scope or ring height was not my problem.

The scope rings were at their furthest forward and furthest back position on the scope.
    At this position, one or the other lower mounting plates did not line up (Seated)

I did get this fixed. Went to Gander Mtn as said and bought a $10 rail already drilled. I did have to cut off about 2", but it works perfect now!
    Went to the range, 100yds and 8 rnds later I was shooting 1/2" groups. Love the scope.

I was going to say you need a full base or offset rings to clear the bell. Glad you got it sorted out.

Links