Suggestions needed for budget bolt gun build

This is a discussion on Suggestions needed for budget bolt gun build within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know this will likely start a firestorm but I don't have much experience with bolt guns and I'm looking for some biased input on ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Suggestions needed for budget bolt gun build

Suggestions needed for budget bolt gun build

I know this will likely start a firestorm but I don't have much experience with bolt guns and I'm looking for some biased input on a budget build, I am a ruger fan boy so the american rifle is attractive to me but I also found a decent deal on a savage 16/116 trophy hunter with a nikon scope, I do not want a mossberg atr, I am hoping for sub-800$ range including optic (i really meant budget) here is a list of my demands

prefer .270 or .308 but will consider other calibers reference following point
    hoping for dual purpose coyote/deer gun less than 400 yards (pelts are irrelevant)
    don't need a "brush" gun
    would like to have a weapon that will age well and has a decent aftermarket if possible in this price range
    don't need a semi auto or shotgun please keep it to bolts

2. Remove Ads

Pick a Savage..any Savage LOL and then pick up what glass you can afford. Sorry for the vague answer but I do not know how far you intend to shoot and other details. In NH you could go with iron sights LOL or a 3-9 scope. In Montana you might want better glass.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

the vast majority of my shots will be less than 400 yards as I pointed out my original post, My skills are not good enough to outshoot most modern bolts anyway budget or otherwise

Re: Suggestions needed for budget bolt gun build

Savage has an excellent reputation for accuracy, and they have a better market for accessories.

Most guns nowadays shoot straighter than most people can shoot. Get a good scope and learn to shoot a bolt gun, then you will start to learn what you like and what you don't.

If it was me, I'd get a Stevens 200 in 308 and a Vortex Viper 4-14X40. After a while, I'd upgrade the stock with something from Bell & Carlson.
    I'd pick a 308, but a 270 would probably have a flatter trajectory.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Savage and Remington will have the best aftermarket. If you are truly on a budget consider a used gun, this will free up money for glass. I would not overlook .243 and the good ol' 06. Any of these can be a decent dual purpose caliber, especially if you reload.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

VIP Member
    I personally like the Remmy's in .308. 400 yards is not that far of a shot so you don't need a fancy piece of glass. Maybe a fixed 10x. If you get a new rifle you should not have to re-barrel or true the action. I would just set it up with your mount/rings scope and choose a stock suitable for your use. The only other item would be the trigger. If you go with the Remmy I would recommend a "Jewel" trigger. If you get the Savage you may not need to swap out the trigger. A crisp clean trigger makes a huge difference. It is always fun building a rifle.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Remington Model 700, Nikon Monarch for optics.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    I personally like the Remmy's in .308. 400 yards is not that far of a shot so you don't need a fancy piece of glass. Maybe a fixed 10x. If you get a new rifle you should not have to re-barrel or true the action. I would just set it up with your mount/rings scope and choose a stock suitable for your use. The only other item would be the trigger. If you go with the Remmy I would recommend a "Jewel" trigger. If you get the Savage you may not need to swap out the trigger. A crisp clean trigger makes a huge difference. It is always fun building a rifle.
    Thank you this is the kind of input I'm looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    Remington Model 700, Nikon Monarch for optics.
    Thank you for the suggestion, this is the kind of reply I was hoping for

After re-reading all of the posts I feel like I should mention 400 yards IS a long way out there. Please practice this before taking that kind of shot on game. If you already possess these skills then disregard my comments and carry on.
    bmcgilvray and suntzu like this.

Having played with .270 and .308 for years I'd probably opt for the .270 for your purposes. The .270 Winchester still is a pretty amazing cartridge in this day and age and definitely anchors a spot as a key big game caliber to consider.

If a rifle is under .30 caliber and has the word magnum as a suffix on its name then I'm not personally interested. None of the "under .30 caliber" magnums will accomplish anything at any range that can't be effectively done with a .270 Winchester (or a .30-06 for that matter). If you can't deal with trajectory to make certain hits with a .270 at the long range that 400 yards represents than a magnum won't be enough to make a difference for you.
    suntzu likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by Peckerhead View Post
    After re-reading all of the posts I feel like I should mention 400 yards IS a long way out there. Please practice this before taking that kind of shot on game. If you already possess these skills then disregard my comments and carry on.
    Appreciate the input, this is not about marksmanship so much as every bolt I've ever shot was not mine so I've never researched them much ie brands, models etc I mostly mess with ruger centerfire pistols, wasrs and cetme's, I understand the principles, just looking for opinions on makes and models based on other people's personal experience/preference, I was hoping to avoid the stereotypical internet responses such as any gun is better than you can shoot it, responsibility as a hunter,firearm safety, etc etc, I was hoping to voice that in my original post.

VIP Member
    @OP: Good bolt guns are a dime a dozen. All the major makers have been making their flagship guns for at least 40 years now. There really hasn't been any changes to bolt guns in half a century. Due to better machine equipment like CNC mills factory bolt guns today are as or more accurate than custom jobs from 25 years ago. So pick anything that strikes your fancy from a major player.

Since you said that you are on a budget I'll post my recommendations:

Savage-Stevens 17748 200 308 $344.00 SHIPS FREE

A bare bones functional rifle with no frills. It will shoot like a dream but many folks will suggest getting a trigger job on it. The Savage model 10 action has been around for decades (Savage makes the Stevens line).

OR

Savage 11 TH XP 308 NIKON $491.00 SHIPS FREE

This is what I would buy if I were you. It has more bells and whistles for not too much more money. It comes with the accutrigger that is phenomenal and it also comes with a GOOD scope. The scope is a Nikon 3X9 and this rifle will do anything you ask it to.
    zacii likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Having played with .270 and .308 for years I'd probably opt for the .270 for your purposes. The .270 Winchester still is a pretty amazing cartridge in this day and age and definitely anchors a spot as a key big game caliber to consider.

If a rifle is under .30 caliber and has the word magnum as a suffix on its name then I'm not personally interested. None of the "under .30 caliber" magnums will accomplish anything at any range that can't be effectively done with a .270 Winchester (or a .30-06 for that matter). If you can't deal with trajectory to make certain hits with a .270 at the long range that 400 yards represents than a magnum won't be enough to make a difference for you.
    agreed, I like both the .270 and .308, I have done some looking around and realize the .270 these days offers a pretty significant gr. range, lending itself to my dual purpose needs, I noticed that I could hand load down to a 115 gr in .308 do you think that would adversely affect barrel life or does my noobness show with that question

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    @OP: Good bolt guns are a dime a dozen. All the major makers have been making their flagship guns for at least 40 years now. There really hasn't been any changes to bolt guns in half a century. Due to better machine equipment like CNC mills factory bolt guns today are as or more accurate than custom jobs from 25 years ago. So pick anything that strikes your fancy from a major player.

Since you said that you are on a budget I'll post my recommendations:

Savage-Stevens 17748 200 308 $344.00 SHIPS FREE

A bare bones functional rifle with no frills. It will shoot like a dream but many folks will suggest getting a trigger job on it. The Savage model 10 action has been around for decades (Savage makes the Stevens line).

OR

Savage 11 TH XP 308 NIKON $491.00 SHIPS FREE

This is what I would buy if I were you. It has more bells and whistles for not too much more money. It comes with the accutrigger that is phenomenal and it also comes with a GOOD scope. The scope is a Nikon 3X9 and this rifle will do anything you ask it to.
    whats the difference in the 11 TH XP and the 16 TH Xp?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links