Can I SCOPE a Mosin-Nagant?

Can I SCOPE a Mosin-Nagant?

This is a discussion on Can I SCOPE a Mosin-Nagant? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK how hard would it be to scope a Mosin-Nagant Rifle? It would have to be a Budget kinda deal. The MN I have is ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By NONAME762
  • 1 Post By NONAME762
  • 1 Post By blanco64

Thread: Can I SCOPE a Mosin-Nagant?

Lightbulb Can I SCOPE a Mosin-Nagant?

OK how hard would it be to scope a Mosin-Nagant Rifle? It would have to be a Budget kinda deal. The MN I have is 98% Stock as issued. The 2% is the CAMO job by prior owner. I'm 60 and don't see as good as I could just 5-10 years ago that's why I'm thinking a scope. Most of the time when I shoot I don't wear my glasses cuz they were made for regular use not Range Work.

You guys that are in the Know and shoot MN's I'd love to hear from you. You other guys into BA's that know this stuff are welcome to share too.

Like my folks used to say: Beggars can't be choosers.
    PEF likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    Yes its easy

I will find you a picture of mine
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

I did on mine. I removed the rear sight, which has a 3/8" dovetail underneath and mounted an extended eye relief scope to it. I used scope rings that are all one piece so there's more friction that two small separate scope rings. I also used Loctite to keep it from moving on me.
    IMG_20120313_170914.jpg

If you are really adventurous, you could drill out the threads on the rings and put bolts through it, then you could really tighten it down without worrying about stripping the aluminum rings. Mine haven't been a problem, but I've been considering doing that just for fun.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

While I have enough scoped rifles in the ballistic range of the 7.62X54R I'd like to hear from some folks who have really wrung out their scoped Mosin Nagents with prepared handlloads. I have a stock 91/30 given me for Christmas of 2011 and it's quite a nice shooting rifle. My son has an M44 that is even more accurate than my rifle.

Any species of big game that can tell the terminal ballistics difference between the 7.62X54 and the .308 Winchester please relate your experiences.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Yup yup...that's where I am McGilvray. Work is ALOT less fun and Fun is near Too Much WORK. And I'm just 60.
    PEF likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Go to Amazon and search "mosin scope" (without the quotation marks). I'm considering the Brass Stacker mount for mine because you don't have to modify the stock.
    Saint77 likes this.

Links