Best 243/most accurate & lite for the money

This is a discussion on Best 243/most accurate & lite for the money within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My friend is buying my savage axis SR 308 i liked gun besides the trigger And i already have a FNAR I want 243 to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Best 243/most accurate & lite for the money

Best 243/most accurate & lite for the money

My friend is buying my savage axis SR 308 i liked gun besides the trigger

And i already have a FNAR

I want 243 to bridge the 22lr to 308 gap

The scope going on it is a nikon prostaff 3-9x50 and probaly use burris xtr rings

So if its a long action plat form the short action 50mm will need a rail to fit even most short actions.
    Rails are a extra $40-$60

Ill get the $345 in it with the rail etc recouped

I like the tikka t3 but its $550 +

Any sub moa guns for under that? Most seem to keep 243s here.

Theres is maybe stevens 200 , 700 adl?
    Mossberg Maverick 88, Saiga 12, FN FNAR, SKS, SKS Paratrooper, AK-74, Marlin 60, Mosin Nagant 91/30, Browning A bolt II, Kahr PM9, Hi Point C9, Glock 20 (29 chop), Walther P22, Tauras PT92AF, Colt LE6920, Marlin 60SN, Mak-90

2. Remove Ads

I'd look for another Savage, but one with the Accu-Trigger.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

A Savage with the Accu-Trigger might be a great choice for you. Great accuracy, great trigger, serviceable stock. With price as your primary criterion, consider the Savage Axis series, which comes in .243 WIN. Gun Finder @ Savage.com.

I've had a Savage 12FLV target rifle, for awhile, in .223 and loved it. Factory stock was a bit flimsy, which didn't help with consistency, but otherwise it was extremely accurate, light. This particular one had a 26" heavy target barrel. While not quite the equal of a Jewell custom trigger, the Accu-Trigger is pretty nice. A heck of a feature to have in a lower-priced rifle.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

You should also check out the TC Venture. I am seriously considering the purchase of one in the very near future.

VIP Member
    Not to be a pest but I don't think a .243 is really a bridge between a .308 and a .22lr. A .243 is a necked down .308 that accepts a 24 caliber bullet. It is a little lighter but, to me, it's in the same category as a .308. A .308 loaded with light weight bullets will be very similar to a .243, not exactly the same, but very similar.

IMO a bridge between the two would be a caliber like .223.

As far as rifles go I'd say that a Savage with an accutrigger would be just fine. Also any of the major brands like Remington, Ruger, Winchester or even Tikka will be very nice. The bolt action market is very competitive. If a company puts out a crap product they don't last too long. All of the major players are making good stuff.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Not to be a pest but I don't think a .243 is really a bridge between a .308 and a .22lr. A .243 is a necked down .308 that accepts a 24 caliber bullet. It is a little lighter but, to me, it's in the same category as a .308. A .308 loaded with light weight bullets will be very similar to a .243, not exactly the same, but very similar.

IMO a bridge between the two would be a caliber like .223.

As far as rifles go I'd say that a Savage with an accutrigger would be just fine. Also any of the major brands like Remington, Ruger, Winchester or even Tikka will be very nice. The bolt action market is very competitive. If a company puts out a crap product they don't last too long. All of the major players are making good stuff.
    I would tend to agree with you on the 223 or maybe 22-250, unless the OP is looking for a deer rifle, then I'd go with the 243. If you are punching paper or doing varmint hunting the 223 would probably be the more versatile choice.
    atctimmy likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Check out the new Ruger American. They completely redesigned the rifle and got rid of the problems including the angled front receiver screw.

I had a chance to shoot one chambered in .243 at the range the other day. It put 3 shots under an inch @ 100 yards with factory ammo. Looks like a very good rifle regardless of cost.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    Check out the new Ruger American. They completely redesigned the rifle and got rid of the problems including the angled front receiver screw.

I had a chance to shoot one chambered in .243 at the range the other day. It put 3 shots under an inch @ 100 yards with factory ammo. Looks like a very good rifle regardless of cost.

Fitch
    What he said Ruger American. I plan to purchase one soon but in 308. Heard a lot of good on these rifles and there not badly priced.

The axis does not have accutrigger and i have an axis as noted the trigger is heavy.
    Accutrigger models seem to come in a package or not in 243 so not much cheaper than the tikka

22lr goes for 20gr to 60gr ammo

243 goes 55 to 100

308 110 to 220

243 is in the middle

223 i cant legally hunt larger gun while needed
    And 223 is sold out (same with 22 and 308 aint much better) were 243 is in stock more so than a 22-250

My FNAR is 13lbs loaded with bipod, brake, sling, scope, 20rnd mag etc
    Can still take a lower mag for deer etc, more of a hog or target purchase

I havnt read great things on the accuracy of ruger

I woulnt mind a cz 527 carbine in 7.62x39
    But i think the 243 is more versatile at range and bullet weight

Ammo supplies i have on stock not including componets for reloading that should start this month

9mm 382
    12g 401
    308 327 (200 coming in next week also, so 527)
    7.62x39 667
    10mm 436
    22 1585 (cant find anywere)
    243 40

To me its a bad time to get into 223, my friend has 243 if did go with a different round
    243 seems noticeabily flater shooting than the 308 at mid range
    He gas a remington 798 (mauser action laminate stock) which is i like

So selling the axis due to trigger and to me to i rather have a lighter rifle i could use for varmits also and recover pelts etc
    Mossberg Maverick 88, Saiga 12, FN FNAR, SKS, SKS Paratrooper, AK-74, Marlin 60, Mosin Nagant 91/30, Browning A bolt II, Kahr PM9, Hi Point C9, Glock 20 (29 chop), Walther P22, Tauras PT92AF, Colt LE6920, Marlin 60SN, Mak-90

VIP Member
    Then to answer your question, a Stevens 200 would be just fine in .243 but it doesn't have the accutrigger. The Savage model 11 TH XP comes with the accutrigger and a nice Nikon scope for around $450. I just ordered on for myself in .223. The Tikka would be nice too but you are paying a little more for looks and finish.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a

Ive already got two nikon scopes thats why im wondering if they make an afforade non package accu trigger gun in 243.

Id like a gun i could add an affordable laminate stock, tikka stocks are $$$ and i the factory ones seem uncommon and im not sure on the price

Be aware that .243 cal is considered somewhat of a barrel burner. It's still considered to be a great round among a lot of target shooters, but they end up having to change barrel after no more than 1000 rounds. A .308 goes for 3000-5000 rounds in a similar circumstance. If you are a handloader and work up quite a few loads, you could rack up a lot of rounds too. 22-250 is also a barrel-burner. Now for strictly hunting, you're prolly not gonna be putting too many down the pipe, so you don't have to worry too much. But I just wanted to put this out there.
    TX expat likes this.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Savage 17924 11FHNS 243WIN HF N/S $562.00 SHIPS FREE

This is the only Rifle I could find without the scope deal. It is 85 dollars more than the scope & rifle deal. I don't know why it's more money, I think the rifles are almost identical. My suggestion is to get the package deal and sell the scope for around $100 if you don't want it. plus you'll be saving another 20 to 40 bucks on rings and bases by going with the package.

Savage 11 TH XP 243 NIKON $477.00 SHIPS FREE
    Mark Twain:

I just scanned the previous posts so if I cover something already said sorry.

I do believe the .243 bridges the gap between a 22lr and a .308. As for being a barrel burner I have shot hundreds of .243 out of a Remington model 600 and no loss in accuracy what so ever.

IMO the .243 is one of the very best all around calibers, you can shoot anything from coyotes (and save the pelt) to deer and not change bullet weight at all. I wouldn't want to shoot a yote with a .308. Its also fairly popular, light recoil and comes in almost any brand of gun. As for what rifle to buy, if you are wanting light and fairly inexpensive I would look at the remington 600 or model 7 line. However savage, tikka, TC, weatherby, winchester, ect are all great rifles and I would own any of them I am just a remington guy.

I have bought a savage edge and the ruger american looks to be a nice rifle but I have decided I would rather buy a used upper end model rifle than a cheap new one. Anything rifle that is new that sells under 400 you are sacrificing quality in some key areas.

I will get off my soap box now sorry.

It looks like I could get the Remington 700 ADL for $380 then add a laminate stock for $100 and be at the same price as the savage since it only comes in a combo. Is the ADL trigger decent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links