Mossberg Maverick 88

Mossberg Maverick 88

This is a discussion on Mossberg Maverick 88 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just got a 12 gauge Maverick 88, it has a 28" barrel but I want it to be used mainly for HD. Every place I ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By GregDepot
  • 1 Post By zonker1986

Thread: Mossberg Maverick 88

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar

Mossberg Maverick 88

Just got a 12 gauge Maverick 88, it has a 28" barrel but I want it to be used mainly for HD. Every place I found was pretty much sold out of 18.5" Mossberg 500 barrels, and those who weren't were charging about $140+. A gunsmith in my area told my wife he could cut my barrel down to 18.5" for $40 and put the sights back on it. I should have it back in a few days/next week because he's been getting a lot of calls about the same thing, does this seem like it was a good deal?

I'll admit I know nothing about shotguns, so hopefully it was the right move, we don't hunt, and if we do I figure there's always enough people trying to get rid of their 28" barrels that I could buy from.

Any recommendations for SD and practice ammo that my wife would be able to handle the recoil of?

I'll post some pictures once I get it back.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I own the 18.5" version - one of my first guns.

It seems to have a bit more recoil than the Mossberg 500 (the 88 is smaller and lighter) when I compared the two. Still, it's a great little shotty and has worked everytime.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    If you don't have a need for the longer barrel, cut it. You're better off than I am, the 20" barrel for my 1100 would be $220 and up.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Are you planning on moving through the house with it? If not, and you only plan on using it as a last line of defense when you are in your safe room, then I would just leave the barrel alone.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I paid the $135 for breecher 18.5 they had in stock.
    That way you still have a bird gun if you needed it still
    mano3 likes this.
    Mossberg Maverick 88, Saiga 12, FN FNAR, SKS, SKS Paratrooper, AK-74, Marlin 60, Mosin Nagant 91/30, Browning A bolt II, Kahr PM9, Hi Point C9, Glock 20 (29 chop), Walther P22, Tauras PT92AF, Colt LE6920, Marlin 60SN, Mak-90

doubt it will be your last shotgun. I'd leave as is and save up for a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 configured the way you want.
    After all the heat dies down, Joe Biden is going to be a poster boy for the shotgun industry, and they should be readily available.
    mano3 likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

If you dont need the long barrel I would have it cut down and leave it unchoked. It would be a great economic HD weapon. As far as loads go, a reduced recoil buckshot load would be perfect for eveyone. You can use cheapo shot for practice and training. Another addition I would look into would be the XS sights shotgun bead... great for in the dark HD. I am waiting on a set of combat sights for my ruger. XS Sight Systems - Sights
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Good little shotgun. I hope you got it from WalMart, I got mine from Academy and I can't change out the foregrip and I understand the one sold at WM is removable.

As others have said, I'd leave it for now and save up for a Mossberg 500. Worst case if you find out you won't be able to save for the Moss you can cut it then. You might also check eBay, Gunbroker, etc. for a Maverick 88 18.5 barrel. Then you'd have a multipurpose shottie.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

...last fall, Mossberg parts dept quoted me about $85 for an 18" barrel new and shipped...might check with them...I've cut several with a Rigid pipe cutter and snapped on a fiberoptic sight...cost less than $20...

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Just got a 12 gauge Maverick 88, it has a 28" barrel but I want it to be used mainly for HD. Every place I found was pretty much sold out of 18.5" Mossberg 500 barrels, and those who weren't were charging about $140+. A gunsmith in my area told my wife he could cut my barrel down to 18.5" for $40 and put the sights back on it. I should have it back in a few days/next week because he's been getting a lot of calls about the same thing, does this seem like it was a good deal?

I'll admit I know nothing about shotguns, so hopefully it was the right move, we don't hunt, and if we do I figure there's always enough people trying to get rid of their 28" barrels that I could buy from.

Any recommendations for SD and practice ammo that my wife would be able to handle the recoil of?

I'll post some pictures once I get it back.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Thanks for the replies. Im in a rather small apartment so the 28" barrel would really not do me any good for hd, it's getting. Cut down to 18.5.

I figured i didnt want to spend. $150 on a barrel for a $200 shotgun.

Sorry for any mistakes, typing from my phone.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Bought one for my son as his first 12ga shotgun. He's really happy and can shoot it better than I can. How I wish I had my 16 year old eyes back lol. Nice weapon and at the price everyone should own a couple.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

Nice Shot gun I have the Rifled Barrel 18.5 inch 3'' 12ga. You put some 3'' KO"S and it's over or some Military 4 oo Buck "Chest gone!"

Quote Originally Posted by LiftAlot79 View Post
    Nice Shot gun I have the Rifled Barrel 18.5 inch 3'' 12ga. You put some 3'' KO"S and it's over or some Military 4 oo Buck "Chest gone!"
    I second that emotion

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

Sponsored Links