Varmint rifle???

Varmint rifle???

This is a discussion on Varmint rifle??? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What would you consider an all-around varmint gun?? My son is taking an interest in shooting coyotes, prairie dogs, etc. and I need to look ...

Thread: Varmint rifle???

Varmint rifle???

What would you consider an all-around varmint gun??

My son is taking an interest in shooting coyotes, prairie dogs, etc. and I need to look at something that will get him a little bit farther out than his .22, something like a scoped .223, 22/250 or the like.

For coyotes, groundhogs, and rock chucks, I recommend a CZ 527 in .223. For prairie dogs, you'll need a heavy barrel for heat dissipation. Again I recommend a .223; low recoil and inexpensive if you don't reload.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Honestly i would say for an all arround .2## cal go with a good ar platform , and a conversion kit .. cheap plinking and learning the manual of arms , and with a mid weight barrell it will shoot well further than most folks can hold , look especialy at the " flat top " uppers maby with a bolt on " luggage handle "
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Assistant Administrator
    My varmint rifle is a Ruger 77 MkII in .223. Light rifle and plenty accurate enough - tho as a side note, my Contender in 223 is actually a tighter grouper at 100 yds!!!

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

223 is the only way to go if ammo cost is a consideration.

For coyotes I would use a .220 swift.
    "Dont be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be. But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price." - Lane Frost

how far out is question 223 is good but i would go with 22-250

very good recommendation on the CZ !
    Now... depending on game and reach.... how about the caliber ! If you don't reload the .223 is great.
    But if you do.....22-250 or even a ... .17 remington.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

If the .22 isnt quite enough the .223 will be your round of choice, imo!
    Beretta 92FS

I've got a Howa m1500 thumbhole varminter and I'm really pleased with it... Howa makes the actions for the remington model 700 so it's basically a remington 700.... Its a bolt action with a 5 round internal magazine... With the cheapest ammo you can buy from wal-mart, my gun shoots about 1moa..... As far as cost goes, I got mine with the stainless bullbarrel and the thumbhole stock for around $650 (msrp is $842)... If you get a blued barrel its about $110 cheaper and the non thumbhole stock will save a little money too... Heres a link to their website with all the different configurations they have for the gun, including what rounds you can get them chambered in and MSRP: http://www.legacysports.com/howa/index.htm (scroll down and click on #6, Supreme Rifles)... They have other rifles you might want to look at but I don't have any experience with them, though I'm sure they're fine... I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one of their rifles, I'm really pleased with it.

Administrator
    the big question is how far you going to shoot? Coyote hunting in my neck of the woods rarely gives me more than a 200 yd shot, I use a .223, a Rem. LTR. If I needed more distance, I'd opt for a 22-250. That would give me a whole lot more range.

25-06!
    Nick
    He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day

At realistic ranges of 100y-250y, I would use a .223. At 250-400y I would go with a .22-250. Anything above that I would use a .243, or 25-06, and up.
    These are not best cartrages, but most avalible. If you plan to reload there is lots of great options.

I think the best "all around" is a toss-up between .223 and .22-250. The .22-250 gives better range, and a more clean kill. But the recoil wont let you see where you need to correct your scope withought a spotter, or muzzle break. Honestly, when I went varmint hunting I grabbed my .223 more than the .22-250. But thats just me.

Administrator
    How about the fur? do you intend on harvesting the pelts? That plays a big role in cartridge selection....

I like Howa rifles too, but I've got to clear up one thing. Howa DOES NOT make the actions for Remington. They do however make the Weatherby Vanguard series of rifles, and the discontinued Smith & Wesson 1500 series were made by Howa.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepinjason View Post
    I've got a Howa m1500 thumbhole varminter and I'm really pleased with it... Howa makes the actions for the remington model 700 so it's basically a remington 700.... Its a bolt action with a 5 round internal magazine... With the cheapest ammo you can buy from wal-mart, my gun shoots about 1moa..... As far as cost goes, I got mine with the stainless bullbarrel and the thumbhole stock for around $650 (msrp is $842)... If you get a blued barrel its about $110 cheaper and the non thumbhole stock will save a little money too... Heres a link to their website with all the different configurations they have for the gun, including what rounds you can get them chambered in and MSRP: http://www.legacysports.com/howa/index.htm (scroll down and click on #6, Supreme Rifles)... They have other rifles you might want to look at but I don't have any experience with them, though I'm sure they're fine... I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one of their rifles, I'm really pleased with it.

Links