Why does the loading gate on my Mossberg 930 SPX cause the rounds to bind sometimes?

This is a discussion on Why does the loading gate on my Mossberg 930 SPX cause the rounds to bind sometimes? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; First, and this is long over due, I really, I mean really like the Mossberg 930 SPX. Realizing that I have a Benelli M4 and ...

Thread: Why does the loading gate on my Mossberg 930 SPX cause the rounds to bind sometimes?

Senior Moderator

Why does the loading gate on my Mossberg 930 SPX cause the rounds to bind sometimes?

First, and this is long over due, I really, I mean really like the Mossberg 930 SPX. Realizing that I have a Benelli M4 and M2, I think it says a lot for the 930 SPX. I'm not saying the 930 SPX is the same top quality as Benelli, but it costs about half as much and if the thing is reliable and it seems to be except for this one little problem. In fact, here's a short video; it's really about the gun mount camcorder but I had the camcorder mounted on the 930 SPX and this is just a couple of test clips I did with the camcorder today.

Anyway, I had 'the problem' today. What happens: I load the chamber and drop the bolt. I try to feed a round in the mag tube, but the rim of the shell (the brass rim) binds on the loading gate with the side of the shell contacting the bottom of the mag tube lip. This is not due to a stiff spring. The shell will only insert about a 1/2" before it binds up.

I can't tell what's causing the problem, and worse can't always tell when it's going to do it, but I did get a clue today. When the problem arose today, it was from the very start. I disassembled the gun, removed the bolt and carrier. I put it back together and the problem was fixed. I didn't have the problem again.

I think the clue is, assembly. I now wonder if maybe I'm not getting the barrel fully seated and the bolt carrier is a bit forward, which blocks the full travel of the gate.

A related problem, but different, is 3 inch shells are more difficult to load than they should be. Again, the rim of the brass binds slightly on the loading gate and the side of the shell binds slightly against the mag tube lip.

I talked to Mossberg technical support and they said I could send the trigger assembly to them and they could replace the loading gate. That wasn't a very satisfying solution if you ask me.

Anyway, anybody know anything about this?

Much thanks,
    Tangle

P.S.
    The Winchester load was a 1 oz slug fired at 1400 fps. I also fired (not shown) some much heavier loads, E.g. one was a Federal 2-3/4" 1-1/4 oz slug fired at 1520 fps. Two others were a Winchester 1 oz at 1600 fps and a Federal 1 oz at 1610 fps. The camera did fine with all of them.

I picked up some Winchester 3", 1 oz, 1760 fps slugs tonight - that's a touch over 3000 ft-lbs of muzzle energy, so tomorrow - oh boy!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Have you done a "fluff and buff" type polishing of the feed/chamber areas, to ensure slightly-tight or off-spec rounds will behave normally?

On a Remington 870P 12ga, I've noticed 3" Sellier & Bellot 00 buckshot rounds get hung up a little like you're describing, whereas every other 3" and 2-3/4" round in the gun operates wonderfully smoothly. A bit of mild polishing helped somewhat, though I imagine a gunsmith's concerted attentions could correct it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Have you done a "fluff and buff" type polishing of the feed/chamber areas, to ensure slightly-tight or off-spec rounds will behave normally?
    I haven't; I kinda wanted to see if this was a known problem and had a known fix.

...On a Remington 870P 12ga, I've noticed 3" Sellier & Bellot 00 buckshot rounds get hung up a little like you're describing, whereas every other 3" and 2-3/4" round in the gun operates wonderfully smoothly. A bit of mild polishing helped somewhat, though I imagine a gunsmith's concerted attentions could correct it.
    Thanks for that; it's some consolation knowing other brands have a bit of this problem too and there's a good fix for it.

If I don't get some 'known' solutions, I'll take a closer look at it, or as you suggest, let a gunsmith have a look at it. 'Let a gunsmith look at it' - I can't believe I said that. Not down on gunsmiths at all - it just means it's a mechanical device I couldn't fix - that would be humbling Then again, maybe I need that from time to time.

Thanks ccw9mm

I don't believe I have ever had that issue with my SPX, if I have I don't remember it. I also don't recall hearing about it either.

As much as I like my SPX, I don't know of many people who have had one that has been trouble free.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    I don't believe I have ever had that issue with my SPX, if I have I don't remember it. I also don't recall hearing about it either.

As much as I like my SPX, I don't know of many people who have had one that has been trouble free.
    I've run a bunch of rounds through mine and that's the only problem I've had with it. That's not to say it's not a problem, but it's likely a fixable problem. And if that's the only problem that shows up, it will be a great gun.

These things have been around since, what, 2009? There were some manufacturing problems early on, specifically, slight canted front sight posts, and the two front rail screws loosening on the receiver. The latter of course easily fixed with lock tite.

The canted front sight, according to Mossberg was a 'jig' error and has long since been corrected.

Those are the only common problems I remember. And there were some 'not so common' problems, but I think that can happen.

What kind of problems have you had with yours?

Thanks!

Mine failed to fire on 5 different slugs with deer in my sights last season.

I still haven't figured out what caused it. Initial thought was cold weather and some Gunzilla had found its way into the bolt and started freezing. But it also did it in warmer weather during a test session, with a variety of slugs and shot. It gave very inconsistent ignition, and showed light primer strikes.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Mine failed to fire on 5 different slugs with deer in my sights last season.

I still haven't figured out what caused it. Initial thought was cold weather and some Gunzilla had found its way into the bolt and started freezing. But it also did it in warmer weather during a test session, with a variety of slugs and shot. It gave very inconsistent ignition, and showed light primer strikes.
    Thanks - I'll start checking my primer strikes and see what they look like.

Oh, BTW, that's the first time I've heard of that problem. Do you know if others have had this problem? Kinda strange, mine runs impressively except for that loading gate issue and that may turn out to be my fault.

I really needs to get mine back out and try to narrow down the problem.

I should be shooting this weekend, if so I just need to remember to take it along,
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    ...On a Remington 870P 12ga, I've noticed 3" Sellier & Bellot 00 buckshot rounds get hung up a little like you're describing, whereas every other 3" and 2-3/4" round in the gun operates wonderfully smoothly. A bit of mild polishing helped somewhat, though I imagine a gunsmith's concerted attentions could correct it.
    Thanks for that; it's some consolation knowing other brands have a bit of this problem too and there's a good fix for it.
    Some additional data points, though not with shotguns ...

I've had a couple other guns experience much the same "fix" (fluff and buff of the feed/chamber areas). At least, the procedure helped. That was with a Marlin 1894P .44mag, known for having a carrier issue, in which my particular example wasn't quite as smooth as well-worn "classic" 1894's I've fired; and with a Kahr PM9 9mm pistol, where the F&B helped improve feed reliability on rounds noticeably longer than average. On a Browning BDM 9mm pistol back in the mid-1990's, as well, once things got well-worn it became utterly flawless. Was never certain whether that was due to the timing changes that usage created, or simply due to the "worn" nature of the surfaces. But, flawless was good.

Anyway, this stuff isn't something you don't already know. Smoother is good. Though, unknown whether this is the issue with the 930 SPX.

Hopefully you find a great correction, a simple procedure or parts tweak. It'd be great to know the 930 SPX is bomb-proof.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links