Purchase advice for a semi-auto rifle

This is a discussion on Purchase advice for a semi-auto rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Apologies for what may be an extremely redundant topic... I am new to the experience. I have a S&W M&P22 that I enjoy (when I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Purchase advice for a semi-auto rifle

Purchase advice for a semi-auto rifle

Apologies for what may be an extremely redundant topic...

I am new to the experience. I have a S&W M&P22 that I enjoy (when I can find ammo)

I was interested in picking up something in a larger caliber, but frankly, the choices are too much to understand. 223/556, 30-06, something else?

I see a ton of options, styles, sizes, prices, and I'm lost.

I'm looking for something semi-auto that I can attach a nice Zeiss scope onto, but doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Maybe $1000 is the target price. Something for closer-in use, as I'm not looking to reach a mile in accuracy. Also, the ammo availability is one consideration.

If anyone has any links to what they like that I can look at, I'd appreciate the guidance.

2. Remove Ads

mkh
    Other than "closer in" what do you plan to use it for?

That info would help us taylor our responses.

What range are you planning on using it? Just target shooting, hunting?
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

For $1000 in today's political climate, you're not going to find much of anything.

.223/5.56 is standard. It's like the 9mm of sport rifles. I'd say probably the next standard round for an AR would be .308. If you're looking for something that you probably won't be using out past 200 yds or so, that you could use for CQB or hunting, self defense, etc., than .300 Blackout is also something you should look at. It's basically the same bullet as a .308 (7.62mm) inside a .223 case (.223 case cut shorter - actual metric dimension of a .300 BLK is 7.62x35mm). Hard hitter, but because of the smaller case it doesn't have the same range as the .308. Also has a lot less recoil than a .308 would.

As far as looks go, there's a million different options out there.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

...J&G Sales had advertised today Ruger LE Mini-14 5.56 All-weather rifles for 899...might be just what you want...

I see you are in New Jersey. With the gun climate there, AND the crazy prices for a semi-auto anything right now, I would recommend you consider a lever gun.

The "civilian" .30-30 is probably more available than any pistol or military-derived rifle cartridge right now. And as a bonus, it hits hard out to 200 yards - or more.

Lots of threads on this subject - do a search.

Good luck!
    scgunlover1 and tmoore912 like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

MJK
    Check out an SKS in 7.62 x 39. There are a zillion out there, they're cheap, and they're reliable.
    Ghost1958 and RichB70 like this.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    If you don't like the SKS then go with Ruger's Mini-Thirty Rifle or a American made AK rifle. The 7.62 ammo is cheap and still available. JMHO

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

VIP Member
    Winchester 100 .308
    Winchester model 100 semiautomatic rifle in .308 : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com
    You can hunt with it, target practice with it, and you won't be out a fortune when you put a $300-600 scope on it.
    carracer likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...J&G Sales had advertised today Ruger LE Mini-14 5.56 All-weather rifles for 899...might be just what you want...
    In today's market, that's really not too bad. Personally, I find the Mini-14 to be one of the most just plain "fun guns" ever. Of course, .223/5.56 is a little hard to come by lately.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Up close sks

Further out FNAR or BAR
    Mossberg Maverick 88, Saiga 12, FN FNAR, SKS, SKS Paratrooper, AK-74, Marlin 60, Mosin Nagant 91/30, Browning A bolt II, Kahr PM9, Hi Point C9, Glock 20 (29 chop), Walther P22, Tauras PT92AF, Colt LE6920, Marlin 60SN, Mak-90

SKS looks interesting, for about $600 on various sites. Thank you all for the feedback.

Know where there are sks at lgs all day for 400 to 450 Chinese and russian. 600 is a bit steep for sks
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I got a cabela's flyer in the mail yesterday and they were advertising SKS rifles for $299. Awesome price if they actually have any in stock.

The chain stores in this area don't sell any guns or ammo. That leaves the LGS, and there are all of two of them in the area, one of which has no stock, but when they do, they charge 3x what they used to. Thde other one is a mixed bag.

That pretty much leaves gunbroker as the main alternative unless I want to drive really far.

I got a suggestion to look into the Remington 700 tactical. Anyone have an opinion on those?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links