00 Buckshot: 2.75" vs. 3" (MERGED)

This is a discussion on 00 Buckshot: 2.75" vs. 3" (MERGED) within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Okay guys and gals, what's your feelings about 3" vs. 2 & 3/4" shells for 00 Buck? I picked up a 15-count box of 3-inch ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 00 Buckshot: 2.75" vs. 3" (MERGED)

Okay guys and gals, what's your feelings about 3" vs. 2 & 3/4" shells for 00 Buck? I picked up a 15-count box of 3-inch 00 Buck today. The 2.75" Winchester is listed as having a velocity of 1325 fps while the 3" is spec'd at 1210 fps. The big difference on paper is that the three inchers pack 15 pellets in vs. 9 pellets for the shorter round. I won't have a chance to pattern them for at least a week, so until then how do you all think they stack up? I expect the 3" will kick a bit more and since my 870 Tactical holds 7 rounds of 2.75" it will probably only fit 6 rounds of 3" ammo.

Is there any significant advantage in terminal effect due to having half again more pellets or is this overkill for defensive use?

3" Buckshot vs 2.75"

Okay guys and gals, what's your feelings about 3" vs. 2 & 3/4" shells for 00 Buck? I picked up a 15-count box of 3-inch 00 Buck today. The 2.75" Winchester is listed as having a velocity of 1325 fps while the 3" is spec'd at 1210 fps. The big difference on paper is that the three inchers pack 15 pellets in vs. 9 pellets for the shorter round. I won't have a chance to pattern them for at least a week, so until then how do you all think they stack up? I expect the 3" will kick a bit more and since my 870 Tactical holds 7 rounds of 2.75" it will probably only fit 6 rounds of 3" ammo.

Is there any significant advantage in terminal effect due to having half again more pellets or is this overkill for defensive use?

Just personally if 7 rounds 2.7 of 00 buck from a 12 ga wont stop it Id be calling someone other than the cops.
    Maybe the Avengers or the Hulk or Thor????
    oneshot, Taurahe and StevePVB like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Hahaha! Probably very true! I'm just a bit curious if there was a worthwhile advantage to the 3". I can foresee the possibility of having to use my shotgun on a dangerous dog, too. In that case, six rounds of 3"/15 pellet might be better than seven rounds of 2.75"/9 pellet loads.

I only buy 2 3/4" 00 buck shells. If I hear of complaints from dirtbags breaking in...with their last breaths...I'll move up to the 3".
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It's not overkill, but you're not doing yourself any favors.

The main downside to 3-inch mags for defensive use is increased recoil and slower followup shots - that extra payload comes with a stiff price, as you'll find out. The 15-pellet load has almost 40% more muzzle energy than the 9-pellet load.

There's a reason for most of the ammo makers coming out with "reduced recoil" buckshot loads for law enforcement. Standard buckshot loads are pretty robust already for both the shooter and the target, and backing off on the intensity of the load still leaves you with a very effective payload.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Probably a valid point! I expect that 2.75" 00 Buck has a good track record of one-shot stops. But I'm curious if the extra lead makes the 3-inch loading more effective. Maybe overkill against a person but what about a large, dangerous dog (eg. 130 lb Pit Bull)?

Ah, that's the kind of response I needed. It's got to be the polar opposite of the reduced recoil stuff! The extra oomph probably isn't worth the extra recoil. I'll give it a test next week if I can but til then I'll keep 'er loaded up with the 2.75" stuff.

In my very uniformed opinion, I'd think that of the two, an extra shell is a lot more dangerous to a bad guy than extra pellets missing him if you missed a shot or two. Rather have the option to pull the trigger one more time, and also the ability to get back on target sooner.

Edit: oops, uninformed, not uniformed.
    Last edited by Jemsaal; March 16th, 2013 at 11:12 PM.
    BlueHawk76 likes this.

I've shot enough 3" shells in my life that I'll take the less punishing 2.75" shells,within 10 yards 9 00 buck are gonna have a transcendental effect
    Taurahe likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The 00 buck is good for stopping...It's like 9 pellets or so of .32 bullet size. Another option though is the 0000 buck. Basically it's a load of bb's on a big powder charge and from what I saw demonstrated, unlike the 00 that makes big holes, the 0000 would probably just cut you right in half.

Ill take the 2.75 inch all day long...3 inch brings significantly more recoil, with out an equal increase in payload delivered. Also, you will never hear a BG say that the load of 00 2.75 buckshot didnt hurt....
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Just make sure you aren't using a 3 inch shell in a gun chambered for 2 3/4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

I use 2.75 and welcome the extra shot (if needed). I've got a box of 3s that I don't know what to do with -- but I'm sure I will ration them. No way am I going to shoot a bunch of them at one time.
    Last edited by StevePVB; March 18th, 2013 at 07:35 AM.

VIP Member
    2 3/4 will be way moer than adequate for home defense.
    3, or 3.5 for duck, turkey and goose hunting, or maybe errand pigs up close if nothing else in long guns is available.

Or if you were in the military and were using it in an urban door to door, or the like.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links