For a defensive rifle, one should? - Page 2

For a defensive rifle, one should?

This is a discussion on For a defensive rifle, one should? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Bud White I have a bushmaster Ar-15 myself there is a good pic with flamethrower action posted here some where if it ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: For a defensive rifle, one should?

I Get My Bushmaster AR-15 (.223)...

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    I have a bushmaster Ar-15 myself there is a good pic with flamethrower action posted here some where if it still works
    this month. I did lots of looking...

I purchased a 'flat top, 16" bbl, and an EO Tech Holographic scope. The dealer is waiting on one item to make the sale complete.
    My neighbor is a local cop who has encouraged me to pick up a .223 with some kind of scope for 'well-aged eyes'...so I went with the Bushmaster and the EO Tech. Actually, my neighbor and this forum are the two major sources that have convinced me to 'stock pile and prepare'.
    I also purchased 2,000 rounds of ammo...building up my supplies because, well, most of you know why!

Stay alert...stock up...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    dammed thing will shoot 2 minute of felon out to 500 yards or so with iron sights
    Now thats funny right there.....

Quote Originally Posted by kairo View Post
    forgive me, I guess I meant "furniture" rather than frame. I'm still working on all the lingo. I'm looking for a folding polymer stock rather than the traditional wood. The tac rail would just add to the gun. It's not necessary, but would be a neat feature in my opinion for the inevitable things I'll want to buy to stick on it
    1) You don't want a folding polymer stock- none of them lock securely, and won't take much abuse. Go either a surplus add-on metal folder ($60 from Maas Guns, KVar, etc), or (IMHO/IME the best:) Ace Riflestocks folder, from www.riflestocks.com, look at the "akfx".

2) The advantage of the AK is cost and low weight. If you spend a chunk of change in a rail, optics and light, you've negated your advantage- get a moderately equipped AR.

The advantage of the rail on an AK is cooling, more than anything, and, obviously, this is a very relative advantage. A foregrip is more likely to get in the way of your mag changes, than be of control assistance. A light is good, and could be well situated, using a stubby-foregrip to house the activator switch, or locate your thumb to hit the tail of the light.

Basically, don't lose the original concept- a light, easily handled and maintained carbine. The more crap you hang on it, the more you have to snag/break, and the heavier and more difficult it will be to conceal.

Thanks everybody! I've narrowed it down now to an AK with a folding metal stock. Would the local gun stores be a good place to look? Or is online the way to go for this?
    Nick
    He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day

Senior Moderator
    Now that you decieded on the AK, did you think about buying a stripped lower for an AR and buliding it yourself a AR. This is the route I am going to save money on an AR. Plus I can have a 5.56 and a 9mm uppers for the same lower. Not meaning to change your mind just wondering if you thought about this.

If you don't need a pistol grip, topglock.com has the saiga 7.62x39 rifle for $209 on sale. If you're not familiar, saigas are based on the AK receiver. You can actually get a pistol grip and add an AK trigger group (required to add pistol grip) later if you want. I'm not sure of the advantage of a Saiga vs AK except maybe because the Saiga is new. I don't know a whole lot about this topic, but I doing the same thing you are, looking for a semi rifle.

I take the KISS approach with most of my guns. I've made the following modifications on my AR:

Sling: Blue force gear single point.
    Light: Surefire 6P mounted to the FSB with a tac-star tape switch taped (yes, taped) to the handguard.
    Optic: EO tech 552.

I plan on adding an AK in the future, and will probably make the same mods to it. I'll probably use a cheaper optic though...

16" CMMG middy flattop 1/7" upper on a Bushy lower with a slider and TruGlo 2x30mm RDS. Adding a bayonet, BUIS, and a riser this weekend. Then just ammo after that. Got 5x20's and 5x30's all set to go.

07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Senior Moderator
    Very nice rig, That's what I'm hoping to build.

Thanks. I built the lower myself. Upper came assembled. All together I got built it for $ 628 ($518 shipped for the upper, $75 for the stripped lower, $35 for the lower parts kit).

For the 9mm, you will need a 9mm hammer buffer and a couple different things. It isn't a straight up swap like other calibers.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

i would want a ruger 10/22. good all a round rifle. get a few mags and the ammo is cheap. you can hunt with it and also use it as a person protection weapon.

Senior Moderator
    Freakshow,
    Who did you order your upper from. I'm looking at taking the same route you did.

If I order uppers and lowers do they have to be shipped to a FFL or do they come right to me?
    Nick
    He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kairo View Post
    If I order uppers and lowers do they have to be shipped to a FFL or do they come right to me?
    The lower is the serialized part, and must transfer through an FFL.

Uppers can be shipped right to your door.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
    For the 9mm, you will need a 9mm hammer buffer and a couple different things. It isn't a straight up swap like other calibers.
    A DPMS AR15 hammer works fine in my 9mm. Basicly an M16 hammer with the rear hook ground off. The 9mm buffer works fine for .223 as long as the rifle has a CAR gas system, however some ammo (such as wolf) it too weak to cycle that heavy action reliably. Then theres the magwell dadptor which is easliy removed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links