For a defensive rifle, one should? - Page 3

For a defensive rifle, one should?

This is a discussion on For a defensive rifle, one should? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What do we know about Stag Arms? They have a moderately priced AR, and..........it's Left handed :D...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: For a defensive rifle, one should?

What do we know about Stag Arms? They have a moderately priced AR, and..........it's Left handed :D
    Nick
    He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day

As a left handed shooter, I see little to no point in a left-handed AR.

other than the fact that it's tailored to being left handed...
    Don't provide a vague answer. If you can back up why you prefer a right handed weapon over a left handed, please share. I'm not totally sold on the left handed version myself. Your input would be valuable to me
    Nick
    He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day

VIP Member
    (The following post is just for humor and to needle AR owners just a tad. No harm is intended....mostly )

If you buy an AR, you should also buy the tools necessary to repair and maintain it. Brownells sells a nice 37 piece set:
    AR armorer's kit.

However, if you choose to go AK, your tools will be a bit scredriver, a lightweight hammer and a metal file. If you don't have a metal file, an emory board will do in a pinch.
    PS: To lubricate an AK, you can go with 10W-40. Lard is an accepted substitute if you don't mind it smelling like pork rinds.
    PS2: If you have substituted the AK standard wood furniture with plastics, you can use Formula 409 and your garden hose to clean it. Hang it to dry. Do not fold unless you have a folding stock.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by kairo View Post
    other than the fact that it's tailored to being left handed...
    Don't provide a vague answer. If you can back up why you prefer a right handed weapon over a left handed, please share. I'm not totally sold on the left handed version myself. Your input would be valuable to me
    The lower is simply a standard lower with a norgon ambi-catch and an ambi safety. For about 100 bucks, you can add both to a standard, off the shelf AR15. I dont have either on mine since I can manipulate both pretty easily with the wrong hands. The bolt catch is in the same place, just out of reach of my trigger finger.

I dont really like the idea of LH ejection for the simple reason that the bolt and carrier are specific to LH models, which isnt a big deal untill you get the itch or the need to replace one, the other, or both. The brass deflector does its job nicely, tossing the brass somewhere between 1:00 and 2:30 intead of down my shirt (like slicksides do).

I like having having the ejection port on the right side of the rifle. I dont have to look in the chamber to make sure there's a round in it, I just pull back on the charging handle a little and stick my thumb in the port (I go by "feel" on all of my guns). Also, if it doesnt go into battery, I can "see" that rather than finding out at the wrong time.

On a standard AR, the Foward Assist is in a great place for a lefty, why move it to the other side? Not really an issue for me since I dont use it.

I used to deal with rifles and shotguns being backwards since I dont have the luxury of firing from the correct shoulder. You could say I'm still dealing with shotguns and rifles being built backwards for me, but I would say that I've adapted pretty well. So well that LH models are backwards for me. But considering that of all the AR15s I've seen, one was LH, and of all the 870s, two were LH, thats not a bad thing.

In short, IMO a LH models of popular firearms are like right hand drive cars. Theyre so uncommon that they're weird for everyone that doesn't use one on a regular basis.

Stag makes very nice weapons and are one of the preferred lowers for bulds.

I ordered the upper from CMMG.com. The uppers come chrome lined bore an chamber and include the bolt carrier group and charging handle (about $145-160 normally required seperately). My upper cost $525.95, but I subtracted the HGs cause I already had some from RRA. To my door it cost me $517.95 and no it doesn't need to go through an FFL. Only the parts that have the serial number require an FFL. Came three days later.

Zach, my 9mm info came from RRA. I have heard that some DPMS stuff will work with both though. I don't know too much about 9mm stuff.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

You want to get a semi-automatic for self protection I say a powerful punch but not enough to kill them but for you not to get killed

Clark, way to resurrect old thread. :)
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Clark31101 View Post
    You want to get a semi-automatic for self protection I say a powerful punch but not enough to kill them but for you not to get killed
    You might want to re-read your post,any time you shoot somebody with a firearm even a 22 LR you run the risk of killing them.
    This Post is over 6 years old and there is a lot of newer posts and a lot more options for Defensive Rifles that deal with this topic
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    The OP of this thread has not been active on DC since 2009.

Thread Closed.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links