For a defensive rifle, one should?

This is a discussion on For a defensive rifle, one should? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm sure this has been asked to death, but I'm just starting my research, and I want a jumping off point. I need a defensive ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: For a defensive rifle, one should?

I'm sure this has been asked to death, but I'm just starting my research, and I want a jumping off point.
    I need a defensive rifle of some sort. I hate to say "tactical", but what I'm after is some sort of AR varient, or AK. Something with lots of available parts, wide availabilty of "cheap" ammo to stock up on, and aftermarket support to customize my gun to my tastes. This will also be my SHTF gun, so it's needs to be reliable and able to take a beating. I am also left handed (if that matters)

thoughts? I know some of you guys love to spend other peoples money, so tell me what I should have
    Nick
    He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    LOL well first off make a choice on cal.. if its 7.62 then you want an ak or sks vairant .. if .223 then its an ar you want , if you want a " fun rifle that you can trick out " well then its ar and forget the cal ... they even make them left handed now you know lol . Anyway my point is get a rifle you will " play with " and get a LOT of ammo to play with right up front .. there is nothing like a case of milsurp ammo just shot up plinking to install confidence in the platform you choose .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kairo View Post
    I know some of you guys love to spend other peoples money, so tell me what I should have
    LOL! You'll get lots of help spending your money here...
    The AR has lots of add-on options, but the AK is less expensive and every bit as reliable. I bought one from these folks:

http://www.vectorarms.com/indexframe.html

It works like a champ for me..
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

An AK will be your least expensive point of entry (SKS would be even lower) both offer tons of aftermarket options for rails, lights etc...
    AR's are going to be a bit more pricey but I remember seeing a lefty AR upper. Lots more after market goodies and different cal uppers as well.
    One option to think about for HD would be a good shottie. Remington 870's also have tons of aftermarket parts to play with.

There was a thread the other day with a setup for rails on a lever action. So the options are nearly limitless. If possible see if you can rent one at a range (or if a friend has one) and see which you prefer before you go dropping a ton of $$.

Good luck
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

Just to muddy the waters , My fun gun / be there when i need it rifle among all i own is an old junk fal chris would call it an l1a1 or some such lol ... ergonomics are great , and the cal ... well what bad can you actualy say for .308 other than cost . dammed thing will shoot 2 minute of felon out to 500 yards or so with iron sights , It aint a room broom , but then what true rifle is , or should be ?
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

good replies so far. I've got the shotgun and the handguns covered for now. My friends and family think I'm paranoid already, but I want/need a defense rifle to make ME feel better and round out the collection.

Looks like I'll be leaning towards an AK for now. I shot a *modded* norinco SKS and wasen't too impressed with it, so I'd prefer not to have that.

With an AK I will be looking for polymer / synthetic frame, folding stock, short - medium length barrel, and a tac rail.

I'm open to any and all suggestions though, so feel free to keep spending my money
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Team American View Post
    LOL! You'll get lots of help spending your money here...
    The AR has lots of add-on options, but the AK is less expensive and every bit as reliable. I bought one from these folks:

http://www.vectorarms.com/indexframe.html

It works like a champ for me..
    Looks like a good starting point, and certainly within budget. Do they ship to a FFL or directly to my home?
    is the make of their gun a "Vector arms ak47" or is it technically another name? Which model did you get
    Nick

Tac *** ?? lol an ak folder is a fun gun , but ****** , why put a porch light on a gun ?? i know i am from the jurasic or some such lol ... but then i never went for furry dice or coon tails eiter LOL and btw aks as far as i know dont come with polymer or other tupperware frames ( recievers ) they will be steel and eihter milled ( read that more $$ ) or rivited .. either is fine .. unless you collect dont get roped into paying for a milled reciever , it wont shoot a bit better . since this is a first endever .. do get with resale in mind ... its almost garonteed that you will want to change your choice later lol .

forgive me, I guess I meant "furniture" rather than frame. I'm still working on all the lingo. I'm looking for a folding polymer stock rather than the traditional wood. The tac rail would just add to the gun. It's not necessary, but would be a neat feature in my opinion for the inevitable things I'll want to buy to stick on it
    Nick

LOL kairo np .. get it , play with it , have some fun , us old pharts are stuck in our ways ,, some of em work btw lol . My personal old phartdom comes out in the sense i dont like lights ect on guns ... I aint saying i am right ... I am saying i have some experiance and all mine says the light on the gun is less usefull than off .. as long as you learn how to use it for low level shooting ... anyway get a rifle you can play with ... put on what you will , just do me a favor and once it is on .. consider is it usefull , or a hazard ... and if its usefull does it " pull its weight" ie is it worth packing arround .. Truely in a defensive weapon train of thought ... many times less is more ..

My only carbine is the AK underfolder below that is my "truck gun."

It's a Vector bought from http://www.atlanticfirearms.com and is a very good build.

Sounds like you need to narrow down what you want a bit, but AR's and AK's can both be money pits if you want them too, or be run stock.

AK is much more reliable than an AR across the board though.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kairo View Post
    Looks like a good starting point, and certainly within budget. Do they ship to a FFL or directly to my home?
    is the make of their gun a "Vector arms ak47" or is it technically another name? Which model did you get

I'm a traditionalist, like Redneck Repairs ...the main drawback to an AK is the rear sight: an unpainted, narrow slot that is difficult to see (I much prefer the rear peep on an AR, or my favorite rifle, the M1 Garand), so a good "cheek weld" on the stock is critical. The wood stock is much more comfortable to shoot, and that is the main reason I chose it instead of the folder.

The rifle is stamped "Vector Arms", but they are actually assembled by Vector from (I believe) parts kits made in Poland. The fit and finish are superior to the Romanian rifles that a lot of dealers sell, and Vector will repair any problems that are covered by the warranty.

Vector will sell the rifle to you, but it has to be transfered through a FFL holder in your state, so you would have to find a gunstore near you and get a copy of their FFL to send to Vector. Vector will ship the rifle to that dealer, where you will then complete the transfer form and pay a small fee.

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

VIP Member

On the other hand, if you decide to go the AR-15 route, a Rock River with a collapsible stock and EoTech holosight is the perfect "zombie" plinker...

Eagle Arms is a good source for Rock River AR's:

http://www.eaglefirearms.net/Rock%20...s%20Rifles.htm

I have a bushmaster Ar-15 myself there is a good pic with flamethrower action posted here some where if it still works

Lead Moderator
    AR Bushie carbon here. I like the light weight and non scratch finish. AR's or AK's both make good battle guns. I guess look at your intended use and decide which is better suited.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links