Fun target/hunting Shotgun.

This is a discussion on Fun target/hunting Shotgun. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey guys I was just wondering if I could get some help on this matter. I have been looking for a 12 gauge shot that ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By munch520

Thread: Fun target/hunting Shotgun.

Question Fun target/hunting Shotgun.

Hey guys I was just wondering if I could get some help on this matter. I have been looking for a 12 gauge shot that I could take out shooting and possibly go hunting in the future with nothing big or fancy my limit is 350-400. Ive looked at the Rem 870 and Most the Mossbergs. But the only one I have shot is a Mossberg 500. Just wanted to know some insight before I buy plus there is an rem 887 for sale in my local store just wanted to know if that would be good for target/clay pigeon shootings. Thanks to anyone that comments also if there are any other types of guns you guys swear by let me know thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Mossberg and Remington both make excellent shotguns for great prices. I myself am partial to 500s, and own a few of them. I have shot many 870s but prefer the 500 because of the location of the safety of the back of the receiver.

Happy hunting!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Might be able to find a nice used Browning BPS. I've had the 870 as the Mossy 500 and the BPS is much smoother for me.

I shoot trap with my Rem 870. No big deal, as you only load one shell at a time. I have done doubles, skeet and clays with it, and keeping up with the targets when you need to pump it manually adds a whole new level of challenge!

If you are going to seriously get into something like skeet, then you would be much better served with a double barrel or a semi auto. Those cost more than your budget though, generally speaking.

If you're just looking for a general-duty shotgun for hunting, some fun target shooting (not uber-competitive), and maybe self defense as well, then it is hard to beat a Rem 870 or a Mossy 500. Take your pick.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

HR Pardner. I got the 18.5" from Walmart, like it better than my 870s, and it was only $179. Win-win.
    bigmacque likes this.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I shoot trap with my Rem 870. No big deal, as you only load one shell at a time. I have done doubles, skeet and clays with it, and keeping up with the targets when you need to pump it manually adds a whole new level of challenge!
    One of the better shooters at my old skeet range would challenge himself by shooting a .410 870 and calling for 3 doubles at station 8! He'd usually get 5 out of 6, but one time I saw him get all 6. Talk about a challenge!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I've had the 870 and the 500, for me the 500 is better (I'm a lefty). I like it so much I also got the 930 (semi auto), great guns. All shotguns do about the same thing and with practice can be very versatile.

In the trap league I'm on a guy let me shoot his custom Krieghoff, valued at around $10,500 - I found out I can miss with those too.

Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    HR Pardner. I got the 18.5" from Walmart, like it better than my 870s, and it was only $179. Win-win.
    I have the 12 ga 28" HR Pardner Pump. It has been flawless. I quail hunt w/ it and shoot trap.
    A little heavy but has been very solid for me. About 1000 rounds thru it so far. Paid $175-180 out the door a year and a half ago.

Also got a 20 ga youth model for my son and it has performed the same. He shoots the clays better than I do.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    I have the 12 ga 28" HR Pardner Pump. It has been flawless. I quail hunt w/ it and shoot trap.
    A little heavy but has been very solid for me. About 1000 rounds thru it so far. Paid $175-180 out the door a year and a half ago.
    I really like my 870s but I think the HR is a great value. Steel receiver and trigger guard are nice improvements, and I don't notice anything else different between an 870, 500, and the HR. So I'd likely not buy an 870 or 500 again, unless they start discounting them 30-50%.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

As much as I like 870's and 500's, I've been enjoying my Weatherby PA459TR quite a lot. I'm still on the fence about the "reaper camo" finish... some days I think it's tacky and others I think it's kinda cool, but the thing is fun to shoot and even though it's lighter than others in the collection, the pistol grip and generous recoil pad keep it from trashing the shoulder too much :)
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

As far as affordable pumps, I personally believe that nothing beats an 870. If I was in your price range, I'd be shopping for a nice used 870 wingmaster.

However, you can save for a few more months and get your hands on a new Beretta 3901 or A300 Outlander that is more than enough gun to last you a lifetime and enable you to be competitive on the sporting clays course. Not that you can't do it with a pump, it's just so much nicer shooting with an auto.

thanks to everyone for commenting I ended up getting a mossberg 500 can't wait to take it shooting I got 250 rounds coming on Thursday or Friday should be able to take it out this weekend only paid 279 plus tax and vacations l background check I thought it wasn't too bad reason why I went with the 500 instead of the 870 is because of the weight I liked that the mossberg was lighter it would be more ideal if I took a pump hunting thanks again evasive for the response it really helped me out

001.JPG

heres the shotgun :D

Links