Rear sight for Marlin 336

This is a discussion on Rear sight for Marlin 336 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...friend bought a scoped thutty thutty...rear sight had been removed...removed the unwanted scope...do we have a sponsor who's likely to have access to one???...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 4 Post By glockman10mm
  • 1 Post By Snub44
  • 3 Post By glockman10mm
  • 1 Post By latentcarry
  • 1 Post By Snub44

Thread: Rear sight for Marlin 336

...friend bought a scoped thutty thutty...rear sight had been removed...removed the unwanted scope...do we have a sponsor who's likely to have access to one???

Try a set Skinner peeps - you will not regret it. Whoever owned the rifle before you probably removed the rear sight to put glass on it - I wish people would quit doing that to Marlins. We see a lot of that sort of abuse over on the Marlin Owners Forum and it is always sad to see.

So let me ask, is yours a 30-30 and what are the first two digits of the serial number ... I'll date it for you. If there are letters, then let me know what the first two letters are.

Congrats on the new levergun.
    What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.

The rifle is already drilled and tapped for Lyman reciever sights which are target grade click adjustable. Look at the left side of the reciever and you will see it. Just but that and you are set.
    Taurahe, BkCo1, Sky Pilot and 1 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

...it's a 12XXXXXX...that's an '88, right? it has a crossbolt safety(gag)...we've taken the scope off...he nor I like them...the iron sight in front needs a hood and the rear sight has been driven out of the dovetail...he wants it for defense so he wants open sights...I may see what XS has...he's got 73-year-old eyes...he's had it in the closet about 3 years and I finally convinced him to bring it out...and to buy a 94 Buffalo Bill Commemorative rifle...not the high-dollar one...the working model....30-.30 will get a lot done...and we bought quite a bit of ammo back in the real world...

...thanks for the reply...I'm checking out the peeps...

...I'm likin' the Quiver...one for all...great idea for hands-free!!! thanks for the source...
    Airborne Falcon likes this.

For defense, simply don't screw either of the supplied apertures in, and you have a great " ghost ring" sight for quick close in work.
    Sky Pilot, HotGuns and BkCo1 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

...may try that...ghost ring would be easier for him...and leave the hood off the front sight...thanks...

Yep, an '88.

The Skinners will allow you to use different apertures for your particular tastes. And you can choose to go with winged front and rear add-ons to protect your front and rear sights if you'd like. They are technically ghost ring apertures - do some research, read about them from users, and you'll probably want to give them a try.

1895 Sight

... if not, you should be able to get rear replacement notched sights for your rifle either on eBay or through numrich.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.

...I'll check further...a normal peep would be too hard for him...a larger-opening ghost ring would do it...I like the wings for SD and carrying in the truck...appreciate the help...

The factory iron sight on a Marlin 336 are better IMO than those on any other weapon I own. I just love them; I had a Daisy lever action BB gun as a kid so maybe thats part of it. Learned to shoot on that type and nothing has ever been better or equal. I do second the peep sight, put one on a Thompson Center Hawken and I really noticed a difference in my groups. Old eyes < Iron sights of any kind but we do what we can.
    Snub44 likes this.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

...we'll do well enough to keep the wolves off the porch!!!

Quote Originally Posted by latentcarry View Post
    The factory iron sight on a Marlin 336 are better IMO than those on any other weapon I own. I just love them; I had a Daisy lever action BB gun as a kid so maybe thats part of it. Learned to shoot on that type and nothing has ever been better or equal. I do second the peep sight, put one on a Thompson Center Hawken and I really noticed a difference in my groups. Old eyes < Iron sights of any kind but we do what we can.
    latentcarry likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...it's a 12XXXXXX...that's an '88, right? it has a crossbolt safety(gag)...we've taken the scope off...he nor I like them...the iron sight in front needs a hood and the rear sight has been driven out of the dovetail...he wants it for defense so he wants open sights...I may see what XS has...he's got 73-year-old eyes...he's had it in the closet about 3 years and I finally convinced him to bring it out...and to buy a 94 Buffalo Bill Commemorative rifle...not the high-dollar one...the working model....30-.30 will get a lot done...and we bought quite a bit of ammo back in the real world...

...thanks for the reply...I'm checking out the peeps...

...I'm likin' the Quiver...one for all...great idea for hands-free!!! thanks for the source...
    NOT TO WORRY, This set up (on my model 94 but I have also done this on a 336) takes care of both problems.

Rear sight and cross bolt safety modificatiion.jpg

The cross bolt safety conversion is made by Clyde Ludwig in Wisconsin.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/ta...olt_safety.htm

Tpr Joe
    Last edited by Trooper Joe; April 2nd, 2013 at 05:42 PM. Reason: add webb link for Ludwig safety conversion

...thanks, Trooper Joe...we won't mess with his crossbolt safety except to slip an Oring on it...but I like those large ghost ring sights enough to get them for my own...would I have to change the existing front sight, too??? who made yours???

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...thanks, Trooper Joe...we won't mess with his crossbolt safety except to slip an Oring on it...but I like those large ghost ring sights enough to get them for my own...would I have to change the existing front sight, too??? who made yours???
    This is an Ashley "Ghost ring" sight set up. I suppose you could use the stock front, but the "post style" front is much nicer.

Good luck,

Trooper Joe

VIP Member
    I like the factory buckthorns myself. They just seem to work, even with my aging eyes. They can be ordered in expensively from Midway USA. Marbles also offers some options that will fit the factory dovetail.

...thanks ctr...that's what I'll do for my friend's 336...I think the Ashley will be my choice...I like their big dot sights...my eyes need some help, too...
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    I like the factory buckthorns myself. They just seem to work, even with my aging eyes. They can be ordered in expensively from Midway USA. Marbles also offers some options that will fit the factory dovetail.

Links