Weapons Presentation: Long Gun vs Handgun

This is a discussion on Weapons Presentation: Long Gun vs Handgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There has been a lot of emphasis put on the pistol presentation and now I’m getting a lot of inquiries on how we run the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Weapons Presentation: Long Gun vs Handgun

Sponsor

Lightbulb Weapons Presentation: Long Gun vs Handgun

There has been a lot of emphasis put on the pistol presentation and now I’m getting a lot of inquiries on how we run the carbine. This our FIST-FIRE Combative Carbine method of weapons presentation:

It’s exactly the same as our handgun “Full Extension” shooting position where the left elbow is locked straight. The Only difference is we pull the firing hand back and onto the pistol grip for the carbine.

For comparison, here's our F-F "Full Extension" Handgun Shooting Position with left arm locked straight:

"...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

2. Remove Ads

I use the thumb over bore method (c-grip) as well. Makes recoil a thing of the past. It makes multiple target acquisitions easier as well...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

How come I like picture number three best. Nice grip but, watch that trigger finger.
    "Do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times.” - Gabe Suarez

There was a gun in the third picture? Lol, kidding.
    1MoreGoodGuy and sixgun like this.

A video about the subject..Sums up the technique well

atctimmy likes this.

I know that after years of shooting the standing position in high-power competition I could never acquire those other standing shooting stances.

16-yr-old shooting standing off-hand.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQIGdY5pfCA
    Bad Bob likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

There was a gun in that third picture. HMMM I didnt see one. Come to think of it I didnt see a carbine either.

That stance is very awkward for me. I came from the weaver/modified weaver handgun. I was taught to shoot a rifle by my father/grand father my grandfather taught marksmanship training to the Army in WWI and both were competitive rifle shooters.

What benefit does that shooting stance have that the old school stance does not? Even doing lots of full auto fire I never had my off hand arm fully extended like that.
    Harryball and bmcgilvray like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    That stance is very awkward for me. I came from the weaver/modified weaver handgun. I was taught to shoot a rifle by my father/grand father my grandfather taught marksmanship training to the Army in WWI and both were competitive rifle shooters.

What benefit does that shooting stance have that the old school stance does not? Even doing lots of full auto fire I never had my off hand arm fully extended like that.
    Recoil and target acquisition. It virtually takes all sway out of the weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Recoil and target acquisition. It virtually takes all sway out of the weapon.
    Neither of those is an issue for me now. If you think an AR has recoil you need a real gun.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    Neither of those is an issue for me now. If you think an AR has recoil you need a real gun.
    True, but most of us are not built like a grizzly bear....

No matter how big or strong one may be, the further back your support hand is from the front of the gun, the more muzzle rise there will be. Also, supporting the front of the rifle on the underside will not control muzzle rise as much as a grip n line with the bore.

It doesn't matter about size, a more aggressive grip on an AR will allow faster follow up shots or more rounds on target during full auto fire.

People think too much in terms of recoil when we talk about grip and stance when muzzle rise is the real issue. I can handle the rifle pushing to the rear and stay on target. A muzzle rising is another story and I need that to stay as flat as possible.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    No matter how big or strong one may be, the further back your support hand is from the front of the gun, the more muzzle rise there will be. Also, supporting the front of the rifle on the underside will not control muzzle rise as much as a grip n line with the bore.

It doesn't matter about size, a more aggressive grip on an AR will allow faster follow up shots or more rounds on target during full auto fire.

People think too much in terms of recoil when we talk about grip and stance when muzzle rise is the real issue. I can handle the rifle pushing to the rear and stay on target. A muzzle rising is another story and I need that to stay as flat as possible.
    He understands that. I was just having some fun with him. After 23 years in the border patrol, 40bob knows his rifles...

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    He understands that. I was just having some fun with him. After 23 years in the border patrol, 40bob knows his rifles...
    Good! I was kind of putting it out there for everyone though. Last time this came up people couldn't understand how a different grip would affect 5.56.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Good! I was kind of putting it out there for everyone though. Last time this came up people couldn't understand how a different grip would affect 5.56.
    I fully understand and agree with you. I have been using it myself for a few years. Some folks have a hard time believing the difference in the 5.56. Steve really shows how effective the grip is...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links