AR-15 favorite

AR-15 favorite

This is a discussion on AR-15 favorite within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What is your favorite AR-15 (with specs) and WHY?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: AR-15 favorite

AR-15 favorite

What is your favorite AR-15 (with specs) and WHY?

Why do new members seem to wanna' start...a fight?!?

Welcome to the forum. I like Daniel Defense because they spend the most money on advertising. No wait, that would be Stag Arms. Yeah, Stag Arms for sure. No wait, maybe DPMS 'cause Jerry Miculek shoots one? Okay, that's it, DPMS. And who's that old one with the horse? Oh yeah, Colt. They've been at it a while, maybe I should look at them? Or maybe go cheap? Does Taurus make a AR? They're guaranteed for e-v-e-r.

ARs are currently sooo "universal" that the manufacturers make up specs trying to separate themselves from the herd, "Chrome-moly-stainless-aircraft-boron-coated-mil spec bolt carriers at NO EXTRA COST". Pros (Life & Death door kickers) carry the BEST they can buy or have built. Citizens buy the BEST their wallet can carry. "Favorite" becomes a subjective decision based on dozens upon dozens of factors & intended uses. Me? I've got four AR variants all with different brands of various components. Off-the-shelf at this VERY moment? I still very much NEED a SIG 516.
    bklynboy likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    I like the one that I own; Palmetto State Armory.

There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    BShooter, DMan, Alex_C and 3 others like this.

Huldra, (Adams Arms)
    Simple Gas piston system that is flawless. I own others some that cost more a few that cost less .The fit and quality is top of the line.

that Huldra arms looks real nice they have some rifles in stock too i think
    ruger91

NRA member

no stores only
    ruger91

NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by ruger91 View Post
    that Huldra arms looks real nice they have some rifles in stock too i think
    This morning they had two on the rack How many in back I did not ask.
    One mid level one of the higher end models. Price were with in 100 dollars of last years Normal.
    Almost picked one up, but I have to many AR's now

What WHEC724 said,the one i own.
    atctimmy likes this.

but I have to many AR's now
    Young man, I do not ever, EVER what to hear language like that coming out of your mouth again. Do you hear me?!?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

The Colt SP-1 is my favorite. My rifle dates from the early 1970s. I like the 20-inch barrel, the simple, rugged, and effective sights, the uncluttered simplicity of the rifle including the fact that it has no forward bolt assist, and the "Vietnam era" look the rifle has about it. I don't care at all that it features a 1 -12" twist barrel. If I need to shoot heavier bullets I'll select a full-power .30 battle rifle rather than trying to "make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" with a middling .22 varmint caliber. I even like the triangular hand guard. I don't want to accessorize, don't want an M-4gery, don't want stuff hanging off of the rifle. A simple leather M1907 sling and I'm happy. I've owned and shot the rifle since the late 1980s so it feels familiar in its factory original configuration.
    OD* and rocky like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

My favorite general use rifle would be a 14.5" BCM. The Colt 6921 would be a very close second, which is also a 14.5". Now, this may change if I ever get around to buying a Centurion 14.5" barrel as their accuracy is great with the reliability of the others.

I have little reason to use anything but a BCM, Centurion or Colt. For lowers I like a Colt, BCM, Noveske or similar, with Colt internals. I would be just as content with a complete Noveske, KAC, LaRue or Daniel Defense as I would a Colt, BCM or Centurion. All of which I've owned besides the LaRue. I just know and trust the others so they are my preference.
    sammage likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    If I were looking for an AR right now, my favorite would be whatever I could find that didn't cost me my first born son...

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    If only I could ever actually buy a lower receiver from PSA, I'll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Young man, I do not ever, EVER what to hear language like that coming out of your mouth again. Do you hear me?!?
    I hear you , I have been around awhile and did not jump on the AR wagon 6 months ago. Did not realize how many we had around here until this last round of gun control came up.
    I want to focus on a few more 308's

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I have two ARs: a Sig Sauer 516 Patrol and a North Eastern Arms NEA-15 with a 14.5" barrel. I love both of them and I would own any reliable AR-15 that I can get my hands on. I like Bushmaster, Colt, DPMS, RRA, etc.. There is no such thing as a bad AR-15, unless it is not reliable and malfunctions.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links