Dumb question of the day on AR15

This is a discussion on Dumb question of the day on AR15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hopefully I won't get flamed for this too badly, but I picked up a brand new Stag Arms 15 the other day and I have ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Dumb question of the day on AR15

Dumb question of the day on AR15

Hopefully I won't get flamed for this too badly, but I picked up a brand new Stag Arms 15 the other day and I have a concern about something that I didn't notice before,

This is a 5.56 chamber, noted on the barrel, on the paperwork, all over. But the exit hole (for lack of the correct term) looks to me like a 22lr. I can't see how the .223 Remington rounds I have would be able to fire through a hole that small. As this is my first purchase of a 5.56/223 rifle, I'm not familiar with the details yet.
    Before I trek back to the LGS to let them eyeball it, what do you suggest? Call Stag with the serial number and have them look it up?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    22lr is .22 5.56/.223 is .223 only very very slightly larger.

VIP Member
    The bullit that comes out the end of the barrel IS a .22. You can buy a .22lr conversion kit to shoot .22lr through your AR 15.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AlDente67 View Post
    Hopefully I won't get flamed for this too badly, but I picked up a brand new Stag Arms 15 the other day and I have a concern about something that I didn't notice before,

This is a 5.56 chamber, noted on the barrel, on the paperwork, all over. But the exit hole (for lack of the correct term) looks to me like a 22lr. I can't see how the .223 Remington rounds I have would be able to fire through a hole that small. As this is my first purchase of a 5.56/223 rifle, I'm not familiar with the details yet.
    Before I trek back to the LGS to let them eyeball it, what do you suggest? Call Stag with the serial number and have them look it up?

It must be broken. I will take it off your hands for 1/2 price.
    bigmacque, lionround, jcm and 2 others like this.

Ha! since I paid $50,000 for it, I will let it go for half. :)

Seriously though, a 223 is exponentially larger in size than a 22lr, or are you guys just picking on me?

I don't want to convert it, I just don't want the 223 round to blow up because the barrel is not sized like it is supposed to be.

And frankly, 223 ammo is easier to find in these parts than .22lr is. My S&W M&P 15-22 is sitting idle for the time being.
    ErnieNWillis likes this.

VIP Member
    The entire .223/5.56 round is larger than a .22 long rifle round but the bullet/projectile is .22 caliber.

As stated you can buy a conversion kit and fire standard .22 long rifle from your rifle.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

You are absolutely positively OK. Really.

The .223 is only .003 nominally larger than a .22 which is a miniscule difference. A reloader could explain that in terms of inches or mm, but rest easy. At absolute terms (and we're talking very small differences) that is only 1.36%.
    mano3 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    The entire .223/5.56 round is larger than a .22 long rifle round but the bullet/projectile is .22 caliber.

As stated you can buy a conversion kit and fire standard .22 long rifle from your rifle.

I see, so most of the bulk is in the jacket portion of the round?

this is the problem with brand new gun owners (i am one too..im not flaming!!). There is an incredible amount to learn and understand about every single aspect of firearms. I wish the stores had more time to REALLY work with the people that are purchasing. I know that when I went the guys working always acted like I should all ready know everything. Like the OP, i'm not too proud to just say, "hey, i have no idea what im doing" because i dont want to die. But I can see a lot of timid people buying that seem like they will just never ask the correct questions.

ad to try and clarify the OP question; what you have with a .22 and a .223 is virtually the same diameter bullet. The CARTRIDGE...that holds the bullet, powder, primer, is COMPLETELY different. The .223 cartridge is massive compared to the .22lr. When you shoot, the cartridge ejects out the side, which is why you can convert it to a .22LR. The bullet itself, in either caliber will exit the barrel, properly.

Keep asking questions! Someday you will be able to answer them for another newb that will appreciate it.

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Seriously. That's how it works.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

The projectile is basically identical.

Don't worry, your gun is just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.

also to clarify,
    The "jacket" is a laminated material around the lead bullet. So its like a lead bullet dipped in some other material. The piece that holds the bullet is a cartridge.
    I think i'm correct...like i said..im still a newb.

I'm sure somebody will correct me if im wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarg28 View Post
    this is the problem with brand new gun owners (i am one too..im not flaming!!). There is an incredible amount to learn and understand about every single aspect of firearms. I wish the stores had more time to REALLY work with the people that are purchasing. I know that when I went the guys working always acted like I should all ready know everything. Like the OP, i'm not too proud to just say, "hey, i have no idea what im doing" because i dont want to die. But I can see a lot of timid people buying that seem like they will just never ask the correct questions.

ad to try and clarify the OP question; what you have with a .22 and a .223 is virtually the same diameter bullet. The CARTRIDGE...that holds the bullet, powder, primer, is COMPLETELY different. The .223 cartridge is massive compared to the .22lr. When you shoot, the cartridge ejects out the side, which is why you can convert it to a .22LR. The bullet itself, in either caliber will exit the barrel, properly.

Keep asking questions! Someday you will be able to answer them for another newb that will appreciate it.
    Thank you! When I was waiting for the final paperwork in the store, there was another guy asking some basic questions to the guy behind the counter. He looks at me and rolls his eyes, as if to say "I can't believe I have to spend time on this dunce." and I just smiled thinking to myself that I would be the next dunce in line.

So what exactly is the difference between the .22LR and .223 cartridges? Both can be fired out of rifles, and both can be fired out of pistols. Both have been used historically by civilian and military shooters. Both can be used for hunting (.22LR for animals such as rats, squirrels, rabbits, ground hogs; .223 for larger animals including coyotes, and in some states deer). Both are extremely popular rounds — .22LR is by far the most popular rimfire cartridge, and .223 is near the top (if not at the top) of the list of most popular centerfire cartridges.

Well, there’s one difference right there. Rimfire is an older design, which for the most part has been replaced with centerfire. Almost all ammunition used now is centerfire. With rimfire, the firing pin impacts on the rim of the case. With centerfire, the firing pin impacts in the center of the case. Fairly self explanitory. But it doesn’t really explain the differences between the two cartridges very well.

As mentioned above, rimfire is an older technology than centerfire. The .22LR cartridge was introduced in 1887, while the .223 cartridge was designed in 1964, specifically for use in the M-16 rifle.

Nearly a century separates the two cartridges, but what makes them different? Size-wise, the newer cartridge is slightly larger. The caliber of the cartridge measures the diameter (in inches). So the newer cartridge is 0.003″ larger in diameter — who cares? A human hair is from 0.003″ to 0.005″ in diameter. Is such a slight increase in diameter really going to make a difference?

Below is a cardboard pizza box shot with a .22LR bullet. The entry point can be seen on the left and the exit on the right. A penny is used for reference.
    Rimfire cartridges have for the most part been replaced by centerfire cartridges because the thin case walls of rimfires cannot handle nearly as high of pressures as those of a centerfire cartridge. Higher pressure means that the ejected bullet has more energy to deliver on its target because its velocity is greater.

The bullets also vary in size and shape. Availability for .22LR bullets varies from 36 to 60 grains in weight (2.3 to 3.9 grams), while .223 bullets range from 40 to 90 grains in weight (2.6 to 5.8 grams). The .22LR bullet is rounded while the .223 bullet comes to a sharp point.

The .223 cartridge contains significantly more powder than the .22LR cartridge (maximum pressure 24,000 PSI for .22LR; maximum pressure 50,000 PSI for .223). The .223 bullet is a much heavier bullet, travelling at a higher velocity. This means that the .223 bullet has much more energy to deliver on its target.

Upon impact .223 bullets demonstrate a tendency to tumble, increasing the size of the wound channel. The .223 bullet also delivers additional damage due to hydrostatic shock. The .22LR bullet has neither of these qualities.

The .22LR cartridge on the left, and the .223 cartridge on the right. A penny is used for reference.
    Smitty901 likes this.

VIP Member
    Here is a link that may answer some of your concerns.

Bullet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links