Reflex Red Dot vs Scope

This is a discussion on Reflex Red Dot vs Scope within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just purchased my first "Sporting Rifle" a Stag 15. Which sight is best for general self defense? Lets Be Careful Out There! Ron...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By IsaiahM33

Thread: Reflex Red Dot vs Scope

Reflex Red Dot vs Scope

I just purchased my first "Sporting Rifle" a Stag 15. Which sight is best for general self defense?

Lets Be Careful Out There!
    Ron
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

2. Remove Ads

I like variable power telescopic sights. You can leave them on low power for close-in work (most likely scenario), but you can dial up the magnification for longer distance.

Another benefit is that the magnification makes it easier to identify whether someone is actually a threat, even at close range, in poor lighting. For example, you had best be sure what you thought was a handgun is not actually a cell phone - before you pull the trigger.

There was an article in a police journal about just this issue I saw a while back - magnified optics on patrol rifles. They ran tests and the magnified optics had some clear advantages.

I know red dots are all the rage now. I'll take the more traditional scope.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I have a burris fastfire on my Bushmaster. Its good to about 150 yds and closer. Lets me keep both eyes open and maintain situational awareness at all times. Keep in mind, I dont try and shoot competition groups, I shoot for combat accuracy since it is a combat weapon. 50 yds i can put them in under 2 inches with quick fire. A scope is best for longer ranges, but is not nearly as fast as a reflex for CQB purposes IMO
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

there are magnifiers for red dots on the market i know the eotech red dot has a mount in front flip up 4x magnifier so you can either use the red dot or flip up the magnifier for a little bit more distance.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Eotech on mine , ranged to 500 yds, magnifier or NV available as the need arises
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

RKM
    For typical self defense, I think a red dot is optimal. Most self defense, even with a rifle, will be well within range where you need no magnification, especially if this is a home defense rifle. If you want magnification, it adds weight, but a 3x or 4x magnifier in a flip-to-side mount is a great option. I get a 4x magnifier handy in a flip-to-side mount, but I generally don't keep it mounted to the rifle as it adds weight. I usually only use it to zero.

I like scopes for precision rifles. For defensive rifles, I prefer a non-magnified optic. Shooting both eyes open is very easy and preferred.

I like Aimpoint's, mainly for their battery life. Primary Arms make very nice clones, and the Bushnell TRS-25 is a great affordable option. Eotech's are nice. I used to prefer Eotech's..... until I used an Aimpoint.

Funny...I used to prefer Aimpoint, until I tried EoTech.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

I prefer a quality red dot for my uses with the option of a 3x magnifier. Eventually, I'd like my 14.5" to have a variable 1-4 or the new Leupold mk6 1-6. Kyle Defoor recently did a test in bad weather, and surprisingly the 1-4 worked best in heavy rain. Not the most common scenario for people outside of LE or mil work, but I thought it was interesting.

At 1x they work much like a red dot but can be used for precision as well. Of course, this would be for general use and my primary rifle will still have a red dot. This is if I ever get around to it...
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I use a 1.25-4 Leupold VX-R and think its a great tool for close-up work out to 2-300 yds. But then again, mine is used for hog hunting.

Strictly self defense/target shooting? Red dot, no question about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crews View Post
    I use a 1.25-4 Leupold VX-R and think its a great tool for close-up work out to 2-300 yds. But then again, mine is used for hog hunting.

Strictly self defense/target shooting? Red dot, no question about it.
    I'd really like to get a 1-4 for hunting, or maybe a 1-6. I use an Aimpoint T1 now and it works extremely well, but occasionally on the longer shots, I'd prefer a variable power optic. More for the reticle than anything. Out to 300 meters, I'm content with 1x or 2x, the reticle makes more of a difference for me. Most of my hog hunting is done at close range and we usually kill more than one at a time, so the red dot has been extremely effective. I'd think a 1-4 would work pretty much the same but have the added benefit of precision at distance.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Senior Moderator
    I like reflex sights for close in work, but a good ghost ring with a high visibility front sight works too.

Actually a high visibility front sight by itself is a huge plus for target engagement.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Links