M1 Garand

This is a discussion on M1 Garand within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking to purchase an M1 Garand. I was considering buying it piece by peice then assemble it myself, but it looks as if ...

Thread: M1 Garand

M1 Garand

I am looking to purchase an M1 Garand. I was considering buying it piece by peice then assemble it myself, but it looks as if this may be cost prohibitive, shipping etc.
    I do want a quality rifle which I can shoot. The key is I want to be able to shoot it, in other words I'm not looking for a rare matching piece for which I can only display.
    Any input?
    Shaould I go for an M1 Carbine over the Garand? Is acquiring ammo for a Garand more difficult?
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Check into the Civilian Marksmanship Program - it is very easy to qualify, and you can get a shooter grade Garand shipped right to your door.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

CMP is a good way to go

Greetings,

I second Matt, the CMP is the way to go if you want to get an m1 garand. I bought a service grade from them a while back, and I was impressed! The wood was in great shape, and the finish was about 95%. They have three grades available: rack, field, and service. Check out their website www.odcmp.com and they'll explain it all. You can also get ammo through the CMP as well. The prices they have are hard to beat.
    As far as the m1 carbine, the CMP is sold out of those (but you can find them not too difficultly), and I also think ammo for the carbine is more expensive. Good luck and have fun!

Sincerely,
    Peter Maenner

Garand shoots .30-06...I've had mine for 13 years....I had a buddy of mine restain and put on a finish like glass...then I took it out to the range and got it sighted in for 100yds.

I only shoot mine on Memorial Day and Veteran's Day

It eats everything...from FMJ to deer loads

You should get one from the CMP, no question about that--also, you would not be advised to try to buy parts and build your own; the parts cost more than the rifle...you can get a complete working rifle through the CMP, then replace anything you think is worn or ugly, but at least you will have a functional shooter. I just bought 2 at the CMP Western Games here at Camp Pendleton over the weekend. Although they were a bit beat up, they gauged well, and I can always clean them up to look pretty.
    "Well, a gun that's unloaded and cocked ain't good for nothin". John Wayne in True Grit

VIP Member
    Ditto on the CMP...I've bought several Garands from them and all have been fine shooters..
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Thanks!!

I will take your advice and contact CMP
    Thank You so much I appreciate everyone input and kindness.

Links