Finding a Home Defense Rifle

This is a discussion on Finding a Home Defense Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello: Other than .223 caliber I am looking for : (1)rifle that is no longer in lenght then 37 inches (2)a suggestion of what caliber ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Finding a Home Defense Rifle

Hello: Other than .223 caliber I am looking for :
    (1)rifle that is no longer in lenght then 37 inches
    (2)a suggestion of what caliber in a rifle
    (3)reliable & fairly accurate

I have been trained in urban combat with a rifle & know quite well how to use a rifle inside a house.
    Thank-you for your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky View Post
    I have been trained in urban combat with a rifle & know quite well how to use a rifle inside a house.
    Why not just let your training guide you? You're probably comfortable with the platform on which you trained, so stick with it, or a variation of that platform...
    atctimmy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GunTrooper View Post
    Why not just let your training guide you? You're probably comfortable with the platform on which you trained, so stick with it, or a variation of that platform...
    Thank-you for your post. The .223 caliber is not a caliber I trust-so I'm thinking maybe...7.62-39, 30/30, .308.

I have even looked at Krebs semi-auto shotguns.

For personal defense, I have government size 1911s.
    For in home defense, I have a 12 gauge loaded with #1 buckshot.
    For outside unlikely home defense up to around 200 yards, I have a 5.56/.223 with iron sights.
    For outside very unlikely home defense up to about 500 yards, I have a scoped 7.62/.308.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

The number of options out there is pretty limitless.

Like you I have plenty of training, and know how to use a rifle inside a house. I personally like the .223 for the role, and my experiences showed me it could be effective.

But, you said not a .223, so, some other high ranking options:

ARs in other calibers, such as the 6.8s or .300s they can be found in. Those rifles usually use the same lower receiver as a 5.56, so its no bigger than a normal M-4.

You don't define "accurate" but some of the AK family meets your criteria. If you are a fan of optics, they help make up for the short sight radius that runs throughout the AK family (which is part of their accuracy issue), and help people shoot them better. Likewise the ruger mini-30 meets your criteria.

In .308s you have the AR-10s, Fail (carbine length to meet your goals) and HK 91 clones.

I have a Marlin 1894 lever action in .357 that I wouldn't hesitate to have bedside. Its old school, but very accurate, light, and easy to maneuver and operate ambidextrously. If I have to start stretching over 150 yards or so, I want a rifle caliber, but for HD, I have no doubt it would work well at the required distances. I also like that it had a significantly higher capacity than my .30-30. Although the .30-30 obviously wins in power.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    In the ar platform you have the 300 blackout, the 6.5, and the 6.8 special. Any of these will do nicely.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

I'd go with 5.56 and proper ammo, but if you don't trust it, then nothing in 5.56 will be confidence inspiring. I'd then go to 300 blackout. All the same but the barrel and bullet and utterly reliable in the M4 platform unlike the 7.62x39. 6.8 and 6.5 are great but considerably more recoil that 300. I have a 9" blackout and in that length packs more energy than 5.56 in a 16" barrel. Loaded with TSX it just rocks. The same for 6.8. I'd have o concerns using the 300 or 6.8 for close quarters work.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; March 30th, 2013 at 10:02 PM.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Marlin or Winchester lever gun in 44 or 357. Or SKS.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

ya i too need a rifle. i have a couple glocks and a s&w for personal and home defense, also a rem 870 with buckshot for HD, but i need a long gun that i can reach out with if people are trying to attack my home from a ways away behind cover because my pistols or shotgun arent gona do the job. thats my biggest weakness right now and i want it fixed fast. im thinking of an AR15 with 223/556 or an AK or AR10 chambered in 762.

308 a bit of over kill for HD unless you live in a foot ball stadium.
    The 5.56 with 62gr M855 round is a very good one.
    But if you dead set against an Ar platform
    SKS or something in a 3030 lever
    Consider sticking with a shot gun and slugs.

I recently posted a quote from a SF guy about his team's experience with 308 in country. All preferred 5.56 as the number of rounds fired were the same and the results were really no different. Close quarters became more work with a 308, even with the short SCAR H. It was just the other day I posted it.

EDIT - here it is.

The thing not being brought to light in all these talks is operational spectrum. I have been the victim of the 7.62 "Battle Rifle" (SR25, HK417 and the SCAR H) operational usage. However, after we took a more in depth look at the WHOLE situation - and not just the rifle ballistics ALOT of us came to the same conclusion. The chase isnt worth the catch. This was our DMP.
    1. its a heavier rifle
    2. I carry less ammo that is also more heavy
    3. I can only put 20 ( or 19 ) rounds in the mags
    4. The mags are not as easy to rapidly change ( this can be overcome with training and better mag pouches that we did not have at time of combat eval)
    5. We still shot haji multiple times with it ( at both long and short range )utilizing the same amount of ammo we would have with the 5.56
    rifle, this played into points 2 and 3.(ive yet to see a Haj live when shot correctly with either a 5.56 or a 7.62 so i dont entertain terminal ballistics debates about either)
    6. If Haj is farther than 600 meters out we dont waste ammo on them anyway, CAS can get them and we will manuver closer to engage with small arms. Inside the 600 range our 5.56 rifles with appropriate optics and ammo was doing the job no problem. ( key take aways are the optics and ammo selection to fit the operational needs!)

Overall I think the majority of the units that love the 7.62 rifles are the ones that dont have to start an engagment at distance and still must manuver up and end the fight at close quarters. They like the idea of having a protracted small arms fight at 600 plus yards and then waiting it out until the Haj leaves and calling it a day. Im not faulting them but thats just not thier job - they are there to project strength and when they can attrit the Haj and not risk thier elements by needlessly attriting thier own by chasing down knuckledraggers with no endstate.

The CQB aspect is where we really found the negative aspects of the 7.62 rifle. The recoil, weight and magazine capacity really turned some guys off, add that to the rest of the points above and most guys came to the conclusion that the "big gun" wasnt the way to go for what we are doing. Once again, about 600 meters engagments culminating in CQB ( where the majority of Haj is now fixed due to accurate small arms and CAS, and waiting for you, they learned early on not to attempt to compete with our marksmanship skills one for one )

We still have a few that love the idea of it - mostly the ones who have not had to carry and use it often enough to actually make an informed decision IMO.

The 7.62 Rifle concept is great when applied to certain mission sets. Just not the ones I have been apart of.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky View Post
    Thank-you for your post. The .223 caliber is not a caliber I trust...
    Why might that be?
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Have you considered a USGI M1 Carbine ?
    pgrass101 likes this.

Not you length size but .308
    Rock River Arms LAR-8 Standard Operator Review
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Suppressed SBR all the way

Red dot + weaponlight + sling + can + 75gr TAP = winning combination, in my opinion

Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links