Savage Model 10

This is a discussion on Savage Model 10 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anyone know about those Savage centerfire bolt-action rifles? I'm looking for an extremely accurate hunting rifle preferably bolt-action, but in .308. I want an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage Model 10

Savage Model 10

Does anyone know about those Savage centerfire bolt-action rifles? I'm looking for an extremely accurate hunting rifle preferably bolt-action, but in .308. I want an hunting rifle and a "military style", "tactical style", "tacticool", "assault rifle style", or whatever you want to call it, in the same caliber.

Soooo.... how's the accuracy for those Savage hunting rifles?
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

2. Remove Ads

I've got a Model 10 .308 that, using handloaded 168gr SMK's, made a nice 1-3/8" group at 300 yards.

My buddy put 3 into 1.25", but he's a better shot than I am.

An early pic of it, before I upgraded the glass.

bikegun039.jpg
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    Does anyone know about those Savage centerfire bolt-action rifles? I'm looking for an extremely accurate hunting rifle preferably bolt-action, but in .308. I want an hunting rifle and a "military style", "tactical style", "tacticool", "assault rifle style", or whatever you want to call it, in the same caliber.

Soooo.... how's the accuracy for those Savage hunting rifles?
    Well my friend, your premise is a bit off. You either want a hunting rifle or you want a tactical rifle. The difference is about 5 to 7 pounds worth of steel. One you can carry around all day and the other is a boat anchor.

A standard Savage rifle in .308 will do all you ask it to do and cost less, weigh less and still deliver a long distance shot in a SHTF scenario. Unless you are going to do dedicated shooting sessions from the bench involving lots of rounds then a standard weight barrel will be just fine. I'm at work right now but in an hour or so I'll be home and link you to some good deals.

ETA: The extra money you save by buying a standard weight rifle you can use to get a better scope or extra ammo.
    Last edited by atctimmy; March 31st, 2013 at 07:43 PM.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Davage 10 series is every bit as good as Rem 700 and less cost. We own both. I prefer the Savage for many reasons but that is all in the eyes of the user. You can not beat the accu trigger that comes with the Savage. There are a few that do not like it but they are not the majority.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    OK, price check:
    Top is a standard model 11 trophy hunter package. It comes with a nikon pro staff 3X9 with the BDC reticle and is good for any game animal in the US (although not optimum for grizzly bears up close).

Savage 11 TH XP 308 NIKON $482.00 SHIPS FREE

Next we have a Model 10 with a 20 inch bull barrel...notice the price, and you don't get a scope/bases/rings.

Savage PRE CAR 308 5R 20 THRED $793.00 SHIPS FREE

Lastly is the standard tactical rifle for you to look at. This one is in .223 because they didn't have .308 in stock. It is still a good comparison though because it is essentially the same gun. Look at the cost and the weight. Remember that weight is BEFORE you put another pound or two of scope and ammo on/in the gun.

Savage 4 + 1 223 Rem. Law Enforcement/24" Heavy Fluted Barre $784.00 SHIPS FREE
    Last edited by atctimmy; March 31st, 2013 at 07:44 PM.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Well my friend, your premise is a bit off. You either want a hunting rifle or you want a tactical rifle. The difference is about 5 to 7 pounds worth of steel. One you can carry around all day and the other is a boat anchor.

A standard Savage rifle in .308 will do all you ask it to do and cost less, weigh less and still deliver a long distance shot in a SHTF scenario. Unless you are going to do dedicated shooting sessions from the bench involving lots of rounds then a standard weight barrel will be just fine. I'm at work right now but in an hour or so I'll be home and link you to some good deals.

ETA: The extra money you save by buying a standard weight rifle you can use to get a better scope or extra ammo.

^I think what he was getting at^^^^^^^^^^^?

Is that he already has, or will have AR type rifle in .308, and will be buying a bolt action in that caliber as well.

OP;
    My son has a Savage .300 win mag W/O the accu-trigger and it shoots fine.

They MAY be a bit less refined than Remingtons/Winchesters, but it won't really matter.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^I think what he was getting at^^^^^^^^^^^?

Is that he already has, or will have AR type rifle in .308, and will be buying a bolt action in that caliber as well.
    That is correct. Looking for a bolt-action rifle for hunting (or head shots (). Not worried about a .308 auto.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    You cant go wrong with Savage but also take a look at CZ, they make awesome rifles as well.

VIP Member
    Here is a 5 shot 100 yd group I shot with my Savage model 11 package/w Nikon scope right out of the box (I did clean it before I went to the range). This is not with a special habd load or anything. This is with factory match ammo from my first shooting session with it. The 5 shot group measures .724 inches.

HPIM3551 1000x925.jpg

HPIM3552 1000x906.jpg

Dave both the 110 and 111 series are incredible values. I would not place a bet against it in favor of Rem or Winchester.

My preference is one with open sights topped with a Leopold 4x fixed power scope for versatility and rugged dependability.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Savages are IMO one of the most accurate out of the box rifles you can buy. The accu trigger is phenomenal, the feel is fantastic
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

VIP Member
    I have been using a Savage 110 Long Action .308 for two decades as a sniper rifle and never had an issue with it.

I did install a Sharpshooter Trigger group, this is a pre accu trigger gun. As stated I would not bet against them in the accuracy department. Find a load the gun likes and go from there.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Dave both the 110 and 111 series are incredible values.....
    Whoa, wait. What's the difference between the two, please?

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    I have been using a Savage 110 Long Action .308 for two decades as a sniper rifle and never had an issue with it.
    That's actually EXACTLY what I wanted to know; if its good enough to be a sniper rifle for the military.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    I did install a Sharpshooter Trigger group....
    What's a "Sharpshooter Trigger"? Is that someone specific to Savage or something you made?

VIP Member
    Whoa, wait. What's the difference between the two, please?
    Go to Savage's web page and look at their product line. They have a gazillion different models. Some have a fancy wood stock and have a different model number from the same gun with a synthetic stock. Just shop around a little on their site. I do know for sure that anything with a two digit number is a short action chambering and anything with a three digit number is a long action chambering. Example: A .308 could be in a model 10, 11 or 16 while a 30-06 or 300 win mag could be in a model 110, 111 or 116.

That's actually EXACTLY what I wanted to know; if its good enough to be a sniper rifle for the military.

What's a "Sharpshooter Trigger"? Is that someone specific to Savage or something you made?
    The trigger he is referring to was an aftermarket upgrade. Since the advent of Savage's superb factory Accutrigger there is no real need to upgrade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links