Home defense optics for ar

This is a discussion on Home defense optics for ar within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey guys I just recently bought a Smith & Wesson mp15. I was wondering if anyone knew of any good red dot sights, reflex sights, ...

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Home defense optics for ar

Home defense optics for ar

Hey guys I just recently bought a Smith & Wesson mp15. I was wondering if anyone knew of any good red dot sights, reflex sights, etc that could be used for home defense purposes that won't cost me an arm,a leg, and my man parts. Thank you guys

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

2. Remove Ads

I like Irons or an EO Tech for up close shots. 25 ft or choser.
    Sap03 likes this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Hey! I just a mp15 too! Today infact. I got a set of Troy's foldable sights on mine, when the wife lets me im going to get an aimpoint for it. I figure if im shooting someone in my house its going to be a point and pull affair so dont get too hung up the most tactical aspect.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Would have to go with an EoTech which in my opinion is one of the fastest Red Dot/Holo around. For close in work (i.e. your home) put the big red circle on what you want to hit and squeeze. The small dot in the middle is great for more precise and mid-range work.

I have an EXPS2-0, and if you watch for sales you can get them below $500. I got mine discounted a little over a year ago, $463 I believe shipped.

EoTECHs and Aimpoints can sometimes be found used and in good condition on ebay, if you're on a budget.

Here's an EoTECH 512 "like new" for $350. Shop around and you should be able to find a good deal.

VIP Member
    I prefer Aimpoint over Eotech. They are both good but Aimpoint is my preference. You should look at the Aimpoint PRO (Patrol Rifle Optic). It is the bees knees and only $400. Depending on the model, Aimpoint has a battery life of three to five YEARS when left constantly on.
    JDE101 and sparkykb like this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

For home defense Iron . Here is a very good read on using the AR for HD. Well written by a person that knows what they are taking about.
    I know you will get a 100 different objection to it. I bet my life on the Ar plat form up close . This is a very good read for you home defense.
    If you really want a reflex site I vote Aim point worth the cost in the long run.
    Zero Distance for a Home-Defense AR-15 | Shooting Illustrated
    USM1976 likes this.

If I was etching what I spent, I'd stick to irons and buy a high quality light like a Surefire Fury. If you do buy a quality red dot, I prefer Aimpoint, but the EoTech 553 is decent and the EXPS line with the integrated QD lever is the best of the EoTech line. For me, the t1 is my preferred optic.

Having said that, you can find a comp m2 like munch520's thread for under $300. That thread should be on the first page. The Vortex Sparc is a good cheaper alternative, but I'd rather stick to irons than skimp on optics.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I also am a real fan of Eotech. I have a 512 and bought it new on Amazon for $385.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Have eotech 512 love it but recently sw the trijicon big eye really sweet i might have to get it

Loved my Eotech but unless you live in a really really big house I would just stick to iron sights .. I would spend the money on a surefire light with the pressure pad. Reason being if your half awake and you have to turn on that eotech it might get tricky. With the pressure pad weapon lights all you have to do is press hard on the grip(front post) when you want to activate it.

Most of the quality red dot or holographic sights will run upwards of $400. I scored a lightly used EOTech 512 for my first AR for well under that. I also have an Aimpoint Micro H1 on the other AR.

I like the EOTech for that 65 MOA ring and 1 MOA dot, but the need to use 2 hands to turn it on is a big drawback. Newer models moved the controls to the side of the optic where at least you don't have to take the gun off your shoulder to make adjustments. The 512 and similar models have had battery contact spring problems in hard use, so some models now have transversely-mounted batteries.

The Aimpoints have a record for impressive reliability in hard use, and the battery life is around 10,000 hours. There is no "off" switch - you just crank the intensity down when you put the gun away.

Either is a good choice.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    What about less expensive red dots? Is that a reasonable purchase or a waste of money?

Any suggestions on red dots in the $100 to $150 range.

For the record I use BUIS with a weapon light for my inside the house stuff.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

I bought a M&P 15 in December! My first AR. So I'm a novice when it comes to the Ar platform and its accessories and my question is: What is the difference between a $500 Eotech and a $60 Truglo? (other than durability and battery life). I realize that there IS a big difference, I just don't know what it is... as they both produce a holographic red or green dot/reticle.

Administrator
    Well, Home defense can be either of two things. Defending the home from a threat inside the home and defending the home from a threat outside the home as in a possible future SHTF scenario.

For the latter I would probably choose the AIMPOINT PRO (Patrol Rifle Optic) as being a great value.

While the AimPoint optics are not cheap - they DO really hold their value decently in good used condition since it's a known fact that they are pretty much indestructible.

So...in the long run it's wise to spend a bit more for the AimPoint.
    munch520 likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Links