Lets talk 1-4x scopes for ARs

Lets talk 1-4x scopes for ARs

This is a discussion on Lets talk 1-4x scopes for ARs within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Like the title says, I am currently in the research phase of looking for an optic to go on my mock dissipator build, and while ...

Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Lets talk 1-4x scopes for ARs

  1. #1
    Moderator
    Array buckeye .45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    7,684

    Lets talk 1-4x scopes for ARs

    Like the title says, I am currently in the research phase of looking for an optic to go on my mock dissipator build, and while I generally like Aim points, I want something with some magnification, and don't like the added bulk and expense of a dedicated 3x magnifier.

    Currently the main contender is the Burris MTAC. It is about middle of the road as far as price, I like the rreticle, and Burris generally makes solid scopes.

    I was looking at the Millet DMS heavily, but don't. Think I like the reticle as much, especially when it isn't illuminated.

    Nikon's M-223 doesn't have an illuminated reticle, which is one of my requirements. Neither does the Leupold VX-2.

    I think Vortex has a similar scope that meets my needs, I just haven't really looked into it yet. And I am sure that there are many others out there as well, that I just haven't found yet.

    I personally think this style scope has a high level of potential for use from close range out to 600 or so yards.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

    Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor


  2. #2
    Moderator
    Array gasmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    10,624
    One of our ROs has the Millet DMS on a dedicated .22 AR. I played with it a bit and was pretty impressed, but that's a budget buster for now. He did mention that the reticle (red ring) illumination is washed out in strong sunlight, which may be a consideration for you.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

  3. #3
    Member Array 2slow04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    97
    i have the burris mtac 1-4x on my ar, the glass is really clear, and i really like the redical, a plus that it is lighted since i use the gun to hunt coyotes at night... ii would reccomend it, The only thing i wish i would have done differently was buy a higher power scope.. since i was using it for hunting
    XD Subcompact 9MM
    more to come..

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Array buckeye .45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    7,684
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    One of our ROs has the Millet DMS on a dedicated .22 AR. I played with it a bit and was pretty impressed, but that's a budget buster for now. He did mention that the reticle (red ring) illumination is washed out in strong sunlight, which may be a consideration for you.
    That definitely is a consideration, and one of the main reasons I don't think I want a DMS, most of the others have much more usable reticles for shooting in sunlight. I want a sort do "do all" optic. The illuminated reticle would be useful for low light or HD usage, but for shooting during the day outdoors it probably wouldn't be used, which means the reticle has to be useful as a stand alone option as well.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

    Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

  5. #5
    Moderator
    Array buckeye .45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    7,684
    Quote Originally Posted by 2slow04 View Post
    i have the burris mtac 1-4x on my ar, the glass is really clear, and i really like the redical, a plus that it is lighted since i use the gun to hunt coyotes at night... ii would reccomend it, The only thing i wish i would have done differently was buy a higher power scope.. since i was using it for hunting
    Our ACOGs in country were 4x, and I think for defensive based use, that is sufficient out to at least 600 yards for target identification and engagement. Which is also about the end of the range I would consider the 5.56 effective based on my personal experiences.

    But I think for hunting, especially coyotes in open areas, it probably is a bit weak
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

    Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

  6. #6
    Member Array MarkR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    So NH
    Posts
    66
    I was looking into this also as an alternative to Aimpoint and found a recommendation for the Leupold Mark AR Mod1 - It is listed on Cabela's web site for a little less than an Aimpoint Pro. The magnification is 1.5-4X20.
    The day the music died - Nov 6, 2012

  7. #7
    Member Array Crews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Longview, Tx
    Posts
    136
    I have a Leupold VX-R 1.25-4 and I really, really like it. Of course, my main focus is low light hog hunting, and not "tactical" in nature.

  8. #8
    Member Array Crews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Longview, Tx
    Posts
    136
    I found that the Millett DMS was a very solid performer as well. Upgraded to the VXR because the only thing I didn't like was the size and weight.

  9. #9
    VIP Member Array jonconsiglio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Posts
    3,172
    I think I'm going to end up with the Leupold mk6 1-6 with the cmr reticle within the year. Very light weight and quality is superb. I just wish the Horus h27 reticle was available for it like their 1-8.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

  10. #10
    Moderator
    Array buckeye .45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    7,684
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    I think I'm going to end up with the Leupold mk6 1-6 with the cmr reticle within the year. Very light weight and quality is superb. I just wish the Horus h27 reticle was available for it like their 1-8.
    Well, I could do two more builds with aim points for the price of that optic. I am sure it is quite nice, and I appreciate nice optics, but that wouldn't be justifiable to me currently. Trying to keep the scope and mount under $600

    Looking on Leupold's sight the Mark AR Mod 1 does have an illuminated reticle optio, so I will have to look into that.

    I need to start taking note of eye relief for all of them too, and I will want to mount it at the front of the upper probably, so I will need a few inches of eye relief.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

    Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

  11. #11
    VIP Member Array jonconsiglio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Posts
    3,172
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Well, I could do two more builds with aim points for the price of that optic. I am sure it is quite nice, and I appreciate nice optics, but that wouldn't be justifiable to me currently. Trying to keep the scope and mount under $600

    Looking on Leupold's sight the Mark AR Mod 1 does have an illuminated reticle optio, so I will have to look into that.

    I need to start taking note of eye relief for all of them too, and I will want to mount it at the front of the upper probably, so I will need a few inches of eye relief.
    Yeah, that's why I hope to have it in a year or so. SWFA and Vortex are where I'd be looking for that price range. I may buy an SWFA while waiting to buy the Leupold. Someday.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

  12. #12
    Moderator
    Array buckeye .45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    7,684
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Yeah, that's why I hope to have it in a year or so. SWFA and Vortex are where I'd be looking for that price range. I may buy an SWFA while waiting to buy the Leupold. Someday.
    I think the Vortex PST looks rather promising, and I have heard good things about the brand in general. I'd have to decide on a reticle to use.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

    Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

  13. #13
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    35,501
    This would be my suggestion.
    Worthwhile Vid tho (kinda long) ~ you may want to FF a bit. Good view of the reticule & illumination.
    You can find a better $$$ than what he paid if you shop around on line.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

1-4x optic effective range
,

1-4x scope effective range

,

aimpoint pro vs burris mtac

,

burris mtac vs leupold mark ar

,

burris mtac vs leupold vx r

,
effective range of 1-4x scope
,
leupold mark ar mod 1 vs burris mtac
,
leupold mark ar vs aimpoint
,
leupold mark ar vs burris mtac
,
mod1 leupold scope vs burris mtac
,
mtac 1-6
,
mtac burris
Click on a term to search for related topics.