Great hog hunting vids - see what a skilled operator can do!!! - Page 2

Great hog hunting vids - see what a skilled operator can do!!!

This is a discussion on Great hog hunting vids - see what a skilled operator can do!!! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The reason so many people lose hogs is they don't understand the anatomy. Cntray to popular belief, they don't have an armor plate otherwise we'd ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Great hog hunting vids - see what a skilled operator can do!!!

The reason so many people lose hogs is they don't understand the anatomy. Cntray to popular belief, they don't have an armor plate otherwise we'd be cutting them out and wearing them in our plate carrier! The problem is when we take the same shot we would on deer, we miss the majority of the vitals.

Below the shoulder by the elbow is a v shape area with access to the body. This is the ideal shot from a very alight rearward angle (hog facing ever so slightly away). This will get through the lungs and drop them pretty quick. Miss the vitals and they run off. The problem is they're bristly dark hair is usually caked with dirt so we don't see this area very well.

I prefer to put a bullet behind the ear, but from a moving truck on running hogs, it's not always that easy. A good shoulder shot can take them down but hogs can push through what a lot of other animals couldn't.

We can use a 300 wsm, but a miss is a miss.

Head shot from about 20 yards with Black Hills 50gr TSX. This is the entry wound. The exit opened a flap of skull on the other side. For the record, this guy went down with a few of his friends. He was running at full speed and I took him on the first shot from a truck bouncing through a field at about 15 mph. Good stuff.

gottabkiddin likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Some guys I know hunt hogs with knives & spears; while I think I prefer to keep my distance.

Senior Moderator
    I've killed a hog last year with my Ruger Speed Six at about 18 yards with a shoulder hit. I used a 180 gr HC Buffalo Bore, that I bought for backpacking in Black Bear country.

Nice videos, and that was some good shooting at fast moving targets. (I only watched the first two vids)
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    9mm through 150 pound hog. Shot through the right shoulder (on purpose to test the ammo) and stopped in the left shoulder.
    What brand and what are the specs of the 9mm bullet you used? Thanks!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    ...Head shot from about 20 yards with Black Hills 50gr TSX. This is the entry wound. The exit opened a flap of skull on the other side. For the record, this guy went down with a few of his friends. He was running at full speed and I took him on the first shot from a truck bouncing through a field at about 15 mph. Good stuff.
    You didn't state this, but I presume the 50 gr TSX is a 5.56 cal???

Yes, the Black Hills 50gr TSX is 5.56. It's also a different bullet than the 50gr TSX that's available separately for reloading. The 70gr TSX is a little better choice for hunting, but both are superb choices. I ordered a few boxes of that SSA from the link you sent me that day. Hopefully it gets here soon.

The 9mm's in the pic.....

147gr Winchester Ranger T - exited other side and lost in the ground

147gr Winchester SXT - top and bottom left

124gr +P Gold Dot - top right

124gr Federal HST - bottom right
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Love those Aimpoint videos - sure, I'll take a Blaser! (When I hit the lottery...)
    atctimmy likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Can't wait to see how the 70gr GMX does on the hogs!

Hornady 55gr left, Hornady 70gr GMX right:

Jon gets credit for these pics, but this was a ~80lb (maybe 100lb?) one I hit on the run (my first kill of the night I think?) with 50gr TSX out of a 14.5. Not quite the push through we see with Jon's pic, but it dropped quick nonetheless.

Entry

Exit

Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

I think he was a bit heavier than 80 to 100. Maybe 120... That entry from the 50gr in my earlier pic isn't typical, but the wound channel is always decent.

I tried to get that hog just the week before but he was running into a wooded area when I saw him.

I'm looking forward to comparing the 70gr TSX to the 70gr GMX and 115gr TSX Black Tip next month.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; April 5th, 2013 at 03:05 PM.

VIP Member
    I just love to watch those guys who can work quick and accurate multiple shots from a bolt action! It makes me a little jealous because I know I do not poses that skill at that level. Then I remind myself that, at least for now, the Second Amendment means I don't have to because I own semi-auto moden sporting rifles!
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Unless it's changed recently in FL, feral hogs on public land (state) are controlled by season; those on private land are considered property of the landowner and can do as the landowner sees fit.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    Can't wait to see how the 70gr GMX does on the hogs!
    Me too! Thanks to Jon for putting me on to the 70 gn. I found and bought some 70 gn and 62 gn rounds too. I hope I get a chance to try them!

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    I just love to watch those guys who can work quick and accurate multiple shots from a bolt action! It makes me a little jealous because I know I do not poses that skill at that level. Then I remind myself that, at least for now, the Second Amendment means I don't have to because I own semi-auto moden sporting rifles!
    It's all a matter of training... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5IWK9sRYTs
    TX expat and blitzburgh like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Every quick stop I've seen and I've seen a bunch (YouTube), the shot was a shoulder shot or spine shot, not the behind the shoulder heart/lung shot. Of course those were with rifles that destroy the shoulder, hydrostatic shock and tear the heart and lungs and probably pulse the brain, and destroy the other shoulder.
    With respect sir... that's not how it works. The expanding wound cavity and fragments from the projectile or internal structure (bones, for example) can propagate further injury, but the "shock wave" does not. The bullet simply doesn't generate enough of a shock wave for that to occur; certainly not enough to cause injury to the brain.

(Gotta wait to get off work to see the vids...)
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    It's all a matter of training... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5IWK9sRYTs
    Yes. I agree. When the Community Organizer confiscates all those evil semi-automatic rifles from everyone (not me, I lost mine in that tragic DC charter), I suppose I'll have to take Gunnery Sergeant Hartman's basic bolt action rifle course, so I can go on slotting hogs.

Those darn videos have me ready to pack my stuff for another hunting trip! I guess I have a few months to wait before I can get back to Tejas for another go at them.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links