Tactical Shottie Optics

This is a discussion on Tactical Shottie Optics within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I want to build another self defense/tactical 870. I have already built a pretty good HD 870 but want something a little more tactical. I ...

Thread: Tactical Shottie Optics

Tactical Shottie Optics

I want to build another self defense/tactical 870. I have already built a pretty good HD 870 but want something a little more tactical. I will eventually be purchasing a Police model 870 and only using high quality products (ie no TacStar, no pistol grip only. I know I will be adding a Surefire Forearm, a Mesa Tactical high-profile ar stock adapter, 4 or 6 shell holder, Vltor Modstock, Hogue AR grip, Single Point Sling, Vang comp saftey and shell follower, and some form of optics.

My question is about the difference between the EoTechs and the tritium/fiber optic holo sights from Meprolight and Trijicon. The Mero/Trijicons don't use batteries and have little or no moving parts. The EoTechs are battery powered but seem to be very good sights. Why do the EoTechs seem to be so popular and which of these mentioned would be best for an 18" tactical Shottie.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    an optic on a tac shotgun... your wasting your money. Unless we are talking about a slug gun, they come with the only sight you need... a little bead at the end of the barrel. At best maybe a set of ghost rings, or one of those light gathering neon deals.
    Perhaps its a better idea to use your money and learn how to use that shotgun proper. Once you do that, I bet you will start believing in the K.I.S.S theory.
    If you must have a shotgun that looks like a picture out of a magazine, make sure you get a optic that is shotgun specific, it will take a pounding mounted an a shotgun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I have an Aimpoint sight on one of my shotguns. For me it works great at night with predators of the four legged variety. I have issues with foxes, skunks, raccoons, opossum, snakes & the odd coyote. It works great.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    an optic on a tac shotgun... your wasting your money. Unless we are talking about a slug gun, they come with the only sight you need... a little bead at the end of the barrel. At best maybe a set of ghost rings, or one of those light gathering neon deals.
    Perhaps its a better idea to use your money and learn how to use that shotgun proper. Once you do that, I bet you will start believing in the K.I.S.S theory.
    If you must have a shotgun that looks like a picture out of a magazine, make sure you get a optic that is shotgun specific, it will take a pounding mounted an a shotgun.

I agree with that to a large degree. I have a side-saddle on an 870P, but lot's of people don't realize that they can cause problems due to being put on too tight or two loose thuse causing function problems. I didn't line the holes on everything just right once. The bolt threaded through the action, but the action wouldn't lock. The only advantage with them is that the ammo is stored with the gun. It's actually much faster to load from belt carriers.

Ghost rings are nice, especially for slugs, but they also tend to limit your field of view in come cases that could hurt you in a CQB.

A stock 870P just ain't tacticool enough though. :)
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

I plan to shoot slugs too. Not dedicated buck or slug, I will use both. The rear stock I want to add has a top rail attached that blcks the bead and rifle sights and also makes it impossible to mount ghost ring sights. I also like the idea of an illuminated reticle that I can easily use in low light.

Administrator
    Then don't use that stock....
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    EOtechs have a large sight window. some find em easier to use shooting /acquiring targets fast . Only real down fall, more parts/more breakdown potential.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I'm in the middle of some training in which we're using 5.56 carbines every day...most of us have 2x Trijicon ACOGs mounted, some have EOtechs. The EOtech is by far the superior close-in sight...wide field of view, easier to use with both eyes open. The ACOG is a great sight for longer-range shots but has slower aquisition closer in, and some people have a harder time keeping both eyes open due to the magnification. In close, it's very difficult to use, like any telescopic sight; you're just not seeing enough of the target. I do like the no-battery operation on the ACOG.

And despite the seeming simplicity of the ACOG, it's more suceptible to damage, according to those who've deployed with them. Not surprising, considering it's a precision optic. The EOtech needs batteries, but it's pretty resilient.

Personally, I wouldn't mount any optic at all on a shotgun. Bead sight, maybe a forearm with a light. Then again, all the junk hanging off my M4 is starting to irk me. But really, the beauty of an 870 is in its simplicity and effectiveness. I wouldn't complicate matters.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    But really, the beauty of an 870 is in its simplicity and effectiveness. I wouldn't complicate matters.

Exactly my thoughts.
    Fear No Evil.

I had been looking for an older plain barrel 870 for a while now, for just such a project. Well I found one 2 weeks ago, for the princely sum of $135!

Turns out the thing was made in 1955 and is really in very good shape except for a busted stock (missing a chunk of wood next to the receiver).

It's almost a shame to chiop up this one for a home defense gun project.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Shotgun=40yds max=optics ??? Why ??

Don't say(please don't say)slugs. Remember that they are classified as "SHOTGUNS" and have a smooth bore cuz they are designed to throw "SHOT".

If you want a shotgun to shoot slugs,trade it in for a .50 Beowulf.

But even with slugs,how far will your shot be. Can anyone NOT hit a 10" pie plate with a slug at 30 yds with open sights ?? Especially with a good set of ghost ring night sights.

To me,shotguns and optics don't mix. Unless you just gotta be "Tactical". ------

If you like the high tube adapter like I do then you can add a higher front sight and a ghost ring on the rail. I, personally, don't have a problem with optics on a shotgun...I see the "one more thing to break" side of things for sure, but that is of much less concern with a good high quality sight like the eotech/aimpoint and they are just as fast as a bead since aiming IS necessary at HD ranges even with a cylinder choke. My house isn't huge so my pattern is only going to be a little over an inch in the farthest shot I would have to make indoors so I actually like the idea of an EOTech...
    here is my shotgun. I actually use it with a cav arms high tube adapter and NO optics though I would really like to pick up an EOTech for it one of these days. It's not that hard to "relearn" the new sight picture without an optic and can make very accurate hits with it.
    not a great picture but you get the idea

Yes the 870s are rugged, dependable, and simple. Like I said I already have a good HD 870 that has rifle sights, 18.5" barrel, extended mag, OD green coating, a Knoxx Compstock, and Mesa Tactical Side Saddle. All I need to add is a surefire forearm.

But I want to build a more offensive style weapon. I want to add a Mesa Tactical AR High tube stock with a red dot or holo optic. I wasn't talking about the maginified Acog. I was talking about a holo sight made by Trijicon. But I think I'm going to be going with the Eotech. With a Vltor Modstock and Battlegrip I'll be able to carry plenty of extra batteries.

I think a none magnified quick acquisition optic makes as much since on a shotgun as it does on any other CQB longarm. It is possible to miss with a shotgun and if I'm using slugs it will increase my hit potential and speed.

Links